Weber Q1000 in the rain

BillP

Hello all I am a first time poster and new Weber owner. This spring I purchased a Weber Q1000 as my first outdoor grill. I have been really enjoying it and I have been using it several times a week since then. However, I have started to notice an issue and I am curious if anyone else has this problem.
About a month ago, there was a very big rain storm. The following afternoon, I went to use my Weber and it would not start. Couldn’t figure out the problem. I fiddled around with the knobs and the igniter wire and removed and replaced the propane tank and other things but I couldn’t get it to fire up. So I called Weber customer service and explained my problem. I explained also that it had just rained very heavy and I thought maybe that could cause this. The rep was extremely positive that this was not related to rain, and said that I will definitely have to either buy a new igniter, or a new (some other part). I thought that sounded fishy and I explained the grill was only a month old. They told me that as long as the lid was closed that there should be no problem with getting wet. The next day for the heck of it I tried to start the grill again and it worked fine. I shrugged it off as a fluke and didn’t think about it anymore.
Since then, 2 more times it has rained, and 2 more times the grill wouldn’t start the next day, but would start fine the day after. So now I am fairly positive this is related to getting it wet. Does anyone else have this experience with their Weber gas grill?
*DISCLAIMER* I have not been using a cover for this grill. I started out using one initially, however the cover was way too big for my little grill, and it was getting completely filthy and was a huge hassle so I stopped using it. I understand that due to this problem I may need to start using one again, but I really hated using the cover and I am wondering if anyone else has this problem and if there are any other solutions?
Thanks.

Yes it is related to the rain. Most sparking type ignitors do not work well when damp or previously wetted. It's just a fact of life and either use the cover to help prevent it (notice I prefaced it with HELP since it's not a 100% cure all) or live with it and use a lighter to light it if it's been damp. No big deal

Sorry but I just never understand why folks don't cover their grills. Just get a cheap plastic tarp and cover it. Then uncover when no inclement weather is present. Cheap clamps make it easy to secure.

i have the same issue after a rain and i keep mine covered. i just remove a grrate and a match to the burner while turning the gas on.

Sorry but I just never understand why folks don't cover their grills. Just get a cheap plastic tarp and cover it. Then uncover when no inclement weather is present. Cheap clamps make it easy to secure.

Down here in Costa Rica which generally has very humid condition(s) and Rain year-around I do not cover my WSM "Classic", WSJ or Weber Mastertouch Kettle which helps to prevent mold creeping-up.

Use a butane starter stick to fire up your BBQ and let it come to full heat, that will dry up any moisture and you're starter will work fine again

I find that using the WEBER grill covers for Q grills causes them to retain a lot of moisture inside the grill. I have an old tupperware 30 gallon or so tote that I put upside down on the grill. It allows the grill to breath and doesn't trap moisture and doesn't wear out after a year or two.

Have the same no start issue in the rain. Last snow storm in Jersey during heavy snow it lit on the first person.
This happened to me yesterday. It had been raining earlier in the day, my Q was covered. When I went to go light it up the ignitor wouldn't spark. Had to use a stick lighter to get it going.

Back