Would love a Performer, but I'll have to live with my kettle and a table. Any mods?

I'm looking at the Performers and I really would like to make the plunge. However, I've been a gas griller because of convenience for years, but I still love the flavor of Charcoal. Until I'm convinced that the chimney and charcoal thingy will work I'll have to live with my smokey Joe and a table.

I've seen some posts on here about mods for work tables etc. but they're so old the pictures are gone.:confused: I get it, but I'd like to see them too. Any work tables out there?

Thanks,
Char

I can't help you with the table, but if you keep your eye on Craigslist, you can score a Performer for cheap. The best deal I got was a lime green one with gas assist for $20.

The lime green from Crate and Barrel? I remember that one from their catalog. That's a beauty...I can't believe what a deal you found. Our pricing is significantly higher up here in Detroit area. In fact, the typical price for a performer used is $250. Sometimes I've seen one for 150 for a S.S. version without gas assist. Which is still a good price compared to new. But if I'm going to pay 250, then I'd rather buy new and get the color I want. The lime green (which they don't sell anymore) or the cobalt blue.

Maybe there will be more available in the fall.

Weber actually makes a table for the Smokey Joe, but it costs about 2 times the price of the grill. It should be easy enough to build one yourself, some wood with maybe a sheet metal top. Stain or paint to taste. Here is a link to see what W offers. http://www.truevalue.com/product/Po...ey-Joe-Jumbo-Joe-Go-Anywhere-Grills/46811.uts
I'm looking at the Performers and I really would like to make the plunge. However, I've been a gas griller because of convenience for years, but I still love the flavor of Charcoal. Until I'm convinced that the chimney and charcoal thingy will work I'll have to live with my smokey Joe and a table.

I've seen some posts on here about mods for work tables etc. but they're so old the pictures are gone.:confused: I get it, but I'd like to see them too. Any work tables out there?

Thanks,
Char

The lime green from Crate and Barrel? I remember that one from their catalog. That's a beauty...I can't believe what a deal you found. Our pricing is significantly higher up here in Detroit area. In fact, the typical price for a performer used is $250. Sometimes I've seen one for 150 for a S.S. version without gas assist. Which is still a good price compared to new. But if I'm going to pay 250, then I'd rather buy new and get the color I want. The lime green (which they don't sell anymore) or the cobalt blue.

Maybe there will be more available in the fall.

Set up notifications in CL and also use outside services or apps as well. If you are prepared to wait, something will turn up. When it does, jump on it quickly. I picked up my Gen2 for $45 and my Gen1 SSP for $25. Took some time, to be sure, but I got them in the end.

You can take the route many here have taken as well and build a cart out of an old Weber cart. Here's the link to mine, I'll embed the photo later once I'm on my laptop

https://flic.kr/p/JeSRMw

Genesis 1000 cart, scrubbed and painted satin black. I ripped 2 pieces of 1x pine to cover the "long" rails, secured them with stainless screws and painted that black as well for weather protection. Then I decked the whole thing over with tongue and groove cedar nailed into the pine. 3 coats of spar varnish later, and viola!

I made a cart out of an old Weber Silver B grill frame I got on CL for $20.
carts_zpsn6aspj8c.jpg

carts%20006_zpszuom663g.jpg

My wife liked it so much she stole it.
DSCN2646_zpsasyn4yme.jpg

Made this one out of a $10 char broil frame fits the SJ and my mini.
DSCN3035_zpsd5c1ghpf.jpg

Nice bit of work there Rich!
CharB. There are so many options, making up a table just requires the proper inspiration. PM me with your email address and I will send you some shots of what I did to "re design" the old pre performer carriage. I used old barrel stock from Stroh's barrels. It is good to know a really talented cabinetmaker!

WeberTAble_zpsukp1syno.jpg

I just might be able to tackle this. Looks better than new. Do you think you'd place some type of fireproof matt under the grill and place on the table? or would you just use this as a table and have the grill next to it on the ground?

Last edited:
And I really like this design as I would like a spot to place my lid or chimney. I never thought to utilize a NON-WEBER frame for this idea. And I bet I could find these easier as people toss them all the time.

WeberTablesSplit_zps9uve8ibh.jpg

Last edited:
If I was going to put my Smokey Joe on it I'd probably use a large ceramic tile almost like a trivit. The spar varnish is a pretty soft finish (by design) so the tile would be mostly so I didn't mess that up.

Thanks for sharing those Char,
Some of them were immediately after initial construction, I have added three coats of tung oil under bright sun and it soaked in beautifully, I opted for that over varnish due to ease of application and durability. This decision was made after consulting with several local carpenters, instrument makers and, boat builders. Boat guys suggested epoxy but, too expensive for me, the tung oil is given three+ coats should be perfect for my weather conditions.
There is a real cover in the design stage but, the completion will be post vacation.
I added a 1/2" painted pipe leg to the "free" end for better stability and am happy I did. With the hinged lid open there is some "sail" aspect to consider.
The top shot is after the ash catcher installation but prior to oiling.
Bottom two are before the catcher and leg installation.
I put the patio bricks in when I started using an attached umbrella and the whole thing started to fly away with steaks on it!

Back