Help with grommet hole drilling

Eric Gator

I'm looking to retrofit the stock silicone stock Weber grommet to my WSM. Who out there has drilled out their WSM for this mod and what kind of a bit did you use? Drillled it out to 1.25 inches right? Thanks in advance.

You might be better off coming up with a different solution, as those holes are massive and I'd hate for you to ruin your WSM. I'm seriously doubting you can find a stepbit that size but if you do, that's the way to go. Only other option is probably a metal hole saw attachment for a drill (it's just a type of bit). Standard spade bits would never work.

Have you considered going with something smaller and fitting a readily available grommet? The stock/OEM grommet is actually quite wasteful on space. They could've probably gotten away with a hole 1/2 the size of the current one, as the only functional areas on the grommet are the 2 slits in the dead-center, and those don't need much space to slip an entire probe through.

Many folks like myself (with my old 18") take a cutting/grinding wheel from an angle grinder and cut a small slit at the top of the middle section, where the inner lip begins horizontally (ie you dont cut the vertical portion, just the lip/ring part the lid sits down on). You can then run probes easily through the gap, while also keeping it pretty sealed up.

Last edited:
Well here's the problem fellas. I use two probes and my IQ10 uses a probe with an alligator clip on the end, so the lamp rod probe mod won't work. I did that mod on my old smoker. And I don't know if I am too crazy about the looks of the angle grinder slot mod, no offense intended as I know many on this forum do that. I know a step bit drill would do a good job but the biggest step bit I can find only goes to 1 1/8. That hole would not be big enough would it? You all don't think a step bit would ruin the smoker do ya?

I did the slot mod on my older model 18.5, and have the grommet in my 14.5.
I very much prefer the slot.
For me at least, it's a cooker, not a looker.

I have a 14.5 WSM with the silicone grommet - the one you are talking about. I have never inserted a probe through it.
It's about as useful as tits on a boar.
The slot mod makes things so EZ!

Tonight I drilled out my smoker using a step bit to 1 1/4 and installed the factory Weber grommet. Things turned out great and it was super easy!

Awesome. Would love to see it, Share any pictures? That is a serious step drill bit that thing must have cost a fortune. After doing this mod is there anything you would do different or caution others on that attempt such a massive hole in the WSM?

Well if I could figure out how to post pics on here I would, but all it would look like is the stock grommet! Turned out flawless. I taped the area with blue painters tape and started with a 1/8 bit for a pilot hole then made it a bit bigger with a 11/32. After that I simply used the step bit to 1 1/4 taking it nice and easy. Bit wanted to hang up a few times but just held the drill firm and all went well. Touched up the edges with some high temp engine paint, waited for it to dry and inserted the grommet! As far as the step bit, I couldn't even find one that big. The biggest one I could find went to 1 1/8 and that one cost $60! Thank God for friends, as one of my buddy's friends had a step bit that went to 1 3/8 so I didn't have to buy a $60-$70 bit for one use! I did see some online that big but we're all quite expensive. I did contact a machine shop in town who also would have let me borrow one if I hadn't have come up with one on my own. It was actually a very easy mod in the end with the proper tools, everyone is just nervous to put that big of a hole in their smoker! I did the unknown hinge mod yesterday as well, and that proved to be much more time consuming and difficult than the grommet.

Back