Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22303132

Thread: The Adapt-a-Damper - Open Source Project

TVWBB Pro
    Mr.? MR.? MISTER?!!!!!!! That's my brother you're talking about......

Nice work.

TVWBB Pro
    Well, I finally anodized the AlumaDamper (again, I know. Stupid name). I'm not really happy with the anodizing job. I don't think I cleaned the parts good enough before the acid bath, but I'm OK with it. Do and Learn.

[IMG][/IMG]

TVWBB Pro
    <shrug> Looks fine to me. Name fits as well.

Now that it's anodized and not bare aluminum on bare aluminum, how's the sticktion? Even with being something like 3x heavier, I'd expect the shutter to work more freely.

TVWBB Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JKalchik View Post
    <shrug> Looks fine to me. Name fits as well.

Now that it's anodized and not bare aluminum on bare aluminum, how's the sticktion? Even with being something like 3x heavier, I'd expect the shutter to work more freely.
    Yeah, it actually moves quite freely. I did sand on the mating surface on a granite block to make sure they were really flat before anodizing. I was originally afraid the MG90S wouldn't have enough balls to move the disc freely, but it seems to have no issues.

I just got my adapt a damper! Bryanís HM site made it really easy. Iíve noticed that when itís fully closed, there is still a slight gap. I was able to lower the first servo number on HM config page but since powering it back on, it has the gap again. Iíll check the settings again, but do you have any tips for closing the gap?

Thank you

TVWBB Honor Circle Bryan Mayland's Avatar
    The servos have a bit of mechanical and electrical slop in them so it is best to go a little extra beyond the closed position to account for the deadband and mechanical inaccuracy. Also make sure the faces of the top and the body aren't sticking such that there's an initial force to overcome before it starts moving, or the servo won't be able to make that small adjustment. The disc should move freely with no resistance at all. If there's some resistance, try loosening the servo arm screw. The parts can also be cleaned to remove any residue from the printing process and I've found that just buffing with a towel for a few minutes can also make the surface a little more slippery.
    I'm that HeaterMeter guy what ruins everybody's free time.

Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22303132