Smoking: White Oak vs Red Oak?

JeremyMSmith

All,

My aunt had to chop a large white oak and red oak tree at her property in AR a few weeks ago. (Not because they were dying- erosion issues) anyhow, she just happened to split all the logs and stack them neatly up in racks (to dry). She was considering just burning them in the fall/winter but told her I wouldn't mind using them for smoking wood. She said, "help yourself!"

Okay, so I'm totally stoked that I'm getting a large sum of free smoking wood, but is red oak even a viable smoking wood? I've never heard it in conversation or preference in smoking. So, can I use it? If not, why not? I know they need to cure for a bit, but just hoping for more insight.

Cheers! And happy smoking!

There both great to smoke with---- Red oak being the choice wood for doing Tri-Tips & My favorite wood of the two.

Get as much of the red oak as you can. I've been cooking with it for years and love it. Very distinctive taste.

Red oak is great for a quick cook like grilling. As said before that is what is used for Santa Maria BBQ. I find it bitter for low and slow though.

White oak is the preferred wood for Texas style BBQ.

Like you I got some of both cheap (paso Robles ca has a ton!) and that's the conclusion I drew from both.

wait a minute Jeremy... you better have that red oak tested before you put your meat over it.
and I know just how to test it.
box up about tens pounds of that red oak and send it here, i'll test it, make sure it's safe for your to use, then send you my semi-professional opinion.

Back