Mo's smoking pouch - anyone try it?

Why when a sheet of foil works just fine and can be used multiple times for just pennies a year.

Why when a sheet of foil works just fine and can be used multiple times for just pennies a year.

I've been using foil boats set on the grates, but that doesn't really do much. I've seen others here recommend a foil pouch with a hole poked in it tossed on the burners or even just the coals.... I'm just afraid of ingesting aluminum. (the step grandpa had a bad case of Alzheimer's)

I thought about cutting a piece of steel tubing or channel and setting it on the flavorizer bars but didn't. I ordered a cast iron smoker box but that arrived damaged.

I'm just afraid of ingesting aluminum. (the step grandpa had a bad case of Alzheimer's)
I look forward to hearing how this gadget works! Please let us know.

As for aluminum...hopefully this helps.

From http://www.alz.org/alzheimers_disease_myths_about_alzheimers.asp

Myth 4: Drinking out of aluminum cans or cooking in aluminum pots and pans can lead to Alzheimer’s disease.

Reality: During the 1960s and 1970s, aluminum emerged as a possible suspect in Alzheimer’s. This suspicion led to concern about exposure to aluminum through everyday sources such as pots and pans, beverage cans, antacids and antiperspirants. Since then, studies have failed to confirm any role for aluminum in causing Alzheimer’s. Experts today focus on other areas of research, and few believe that everyday sources of aluminum pose any threat.

I have a couple of the triangular shaped ones that sit between the flavorizers along with a cast iron one. I haven't used them, as the Summit has a dedicated smoking burner.
unfortunately, I find this burner does very little as far as imparting any smoke flavor into the food. Most of the smoke just rolls out the right side of the grill (smoker burner is on the far right). So, I figured it could be because the slab that it sits on is sloped to let water run off so I turned the grill around and put it on the other side of the screen room (left side is now slightly higher than the right). The smoke still just rolls out of the right side.

It came yesterday and I'm happy with how it worked the first time! I put a couple large handfuls of pecan chips in it, snapped it closed, & placed it below the grate on the flavorizer bars. Now to see how long it lasts.

11071096_10203919953861135_5016390825870472472_n.jpg

they're extra brown, and even a little crispier than normal.
11035974_10203919952701106_7694941225938262640_n.jpg

10431533_10203919952501101_7767208770304219851_n.jpg

Definitely happy with the first use!
11009861_10203919951221069_5591528102242333528_n.jpg

So it's made of a fine mesh? Is it easy to clean out the ashes? Do you feel the need to clean the outside? Looks like the wings left a big greasy spot on the pouch. Curious about your opinion after several uses. Good luck! :)

I was impressed with the build quality, as well as the quantity & type of smoke. Yes, it's a fine mesh but sturdy, & it's rolled at the edges so there were no snags (slivers) when I stuck my hand in it. The opening snaps shut but a few chips fell out of the end so I made sure to hold it upright.

I'll post more info / pics next time, & thoughts on if it needs cleaning etc :)

Kind of thinking I'll enjoy this.

it's about to get it's second use........ I don't think I'll be using the snaps anymore, and hopefully my excitement with this doesn't turn into a letdown (no, that never happens with me :) )

well, but I'm still holding out for my full endorsement :) It's only had a few uses, maybe 3.5 hours on the flames.

It really puts out a good smoke----I was hoping the pictures would capture some of it, I'm not sure how well that comes through.

Why are you putting it on the grates? It should go under the food. BTW just did some kiss off the bone ribs on my Genesis last night. Had a smoke ring and all. Just used foil pouch. I make a nice pouch and I find I can reuse it multiple times

So, Clint, it's been 9 months now. What's your verdict? I've used 2 cups soaked chips in a foil pouch on the flavorizer bars of my Genesis and get very little (almost no) smoke flavor on the food.

Also, how hard is it to get the ashes out of the bag?

So, Clint, it's been 9 months now. What's your verdict? I've used 2 cups soaked chips in a foil pouch on the flavorizer bars of my Genesis and get very little (almost no) smoke flavor on the food.

Also, how hard is it to get the ashes out of the bag?

I LOVE it. I can tell a definite difference on the food when using it, both in color and flavor. It's a very nice addition! I stopped using the snaps (closures) early on, I just position it across all 3 flavorizer bars on the left side. It's easy to empty the ashes, and the chips seem to last more than one cook. If feeling particularly lazy I'll even just squeeze some chips between the grates to rest on it. To empty, you just tip it upside down :) maybe tap it on the can a little.

I don't mind juices dropping on it or anything. Even if I don't feel like filling it up I'll leave it in place.

100% recommended :) no downside so far.

(I don't soak the chips)

Believe it or not, I have a roll of material (it's either alloy or stainless steel mesh cloth) very similar to what this item is made out of. Might be worth snipping a piece of it and fabricating it into a pocket. This stuff is razor sharp for what it's worth.

Believe it or not, I have a roll of material (it's either alloy or stainless steel mesh cloth) very similar to what this item is made out of. Might be worth snipping a piece of it and fabricating it into a pocket. This stuff is razor sharp for what it's worth.

Your fabric might work just fine if you could find a way to deal with the edges but I'm not sure how you'd do it easily.

Back