100% newbie to smoking :)

Hi guys !! Finally picked up my WSM today !!! Can't wait to have my first crack at it tomorrow !!! I live in hobart tasmania with my wife of 10 years and my 2 beautiful children �� I am 33 years old and I currently work in the opposite corner of our great country australia in the pilbra mines mining iron ore and I love it !! I go from 52 degrees Celsius scorching hot and hard to breath to back home and it's hammering down with rain and wind ! Gonna see how I go doing my first cook in my large garage with one of the roller doors up and the back door open for good ventilation just so I can monitor the temps and it will be out of the rain !!! I know they say not to cook with them indoors but my shed is pretty big :) I have a hose right near the roller door and a fire extinguisher over the other side of the shed ! I got myself 3 racks of ribs and a brisket but they are nothing like what you guys get In the states �� any tips on where to get the bigger cuts of meat would be great ��

E/ I got the 18.5 inch too :)

Welcome to the site and enjoy that first cook. If you can, please post pictures of you progress. Thanks

Welcome J.

Yeah, we want pics mate. If you can eat it, that means it worked!! Just might need a tweak here and there.
Remember, if it doesn't go to plan, there is a wealth of info/help here. (I've had real-time advice during a cook).
I use my WSM in my shed all the time at this time of year.

Welcome to the group J. Shouldn't have a problem cooking with the doors open. I couldn't get packer brisket or whole pork shoulders until I went to a meat processor that had an on site store. If a butcher doesn't have it they should be able to order it for you.

Thankyou for the warm welcome guys ! And I work for a contractor at fmg bob ;)

And I will post pics regardless... I am cooking as I type this for the first time and I'm having a hard time keeping a reg temp (225) it is sitting dormant at around 170 ?? I don't know if I may have smothered it ?

Last edited:
I used the best ribs in the universe recipe and omg they were spicy lol I took a picture on my phone ill try to upload it soon ! they were tender but not like I imagined I think it had something to do with my terrible temperature control issues...

yes we do bob :) we can get bbq packs at camp instead of eating the kitchen food just so we can cook it up ourselves its only on a crappy gas grill but its better than nothing ;)

I Ok... My first cook was terrible!!! I only have a final picture so the ribs were my first and the chickens are what I am doing right now with a little more detail ;)

So these are the ribs I litteraly couldn't eat coz they were too spicy!!! I'm a woosy yes !!!
2q3410o.jpg

These are the charcoal I use
w9e349.jpg

Waiting for the temps to settle having a bevvy;)
1685w1h.jpg

These are the chickens ! I was a bit lazy and used the recipe for the best ribs in the universe recipe that I had leftover !!!
2u9qwpd.jpg

This is the wood I use (I can't get chunks of wood here :( chips it is ! ) in my smoker
zvevpw.jpg

And this is the halfway mark of the cook :)
2cncwm8.jpg

Last edited:
Jezza.

Nice looking cook mate. I'll take the spicy ones.

Re: Temp issue. You may find that the temps might wander until you have the smoker seasoned & gunked up. Mine ran a bit hot when I first got it.
What I have found is that using the same fuel & method each time will get consistency.
So get cooking and gunk that baby up!

Cheers mate ;)

Still posting pics to the cook ! At least with the chicken I can pull the skin off and give it to the poor unsuspecting dog :D

Waiting waiting waiting!!! Time for a beer change !!!
nthyq.jpg

Finished product all dissected and ready for consumption!
2dsh26t.jpg

On the plate :) meat and tatters !!! I was gonna do some greens but in the end I was too impatient ;)
23lbhxc.jpg

Someone is praying for scraps !!!
zn7qlc.jpg

Last edited:
Are you cooking in real time now?

Beer change is very important whe using the WSM....;)

Edit: Looks like you got her dialled in there mate. :cool:

Last edited:
Yeah mate just finished eating just now :)

Just watching the Aussies possibly beat the Indians we need 26 off 30 balls :eek:
fyh2rt.jpg

P.s we beat the poms on Friday evening australia time :p

Last edited:
Starc had a good day at the office with the ball.

P.S. We beat the PM's XI by 60 runs the other day!.....:p

Last edited:

Back