Grill cover neccessary?

Gene Hersh

Since the grill will be in a covered patio, is a good cover still necessary. I'm wondering if the cover would create additional moisture in the grill. I live in Florida, where it rains considerably.

My brotherinlaw lives in Melbourne FL and has an inclosed patio. He puts those "moisture absorbers" that come in the pockets of new clothing inside his grill and has no rust issues. You just have to remember to take them out before you fire up that bad boy

b0279859381f565ff39666dae1f35faf.jpg

So the birds were using your grills? :p

images

Funny you should say that. I hadn't used my old charbroil in quite some time because I was using the kettle. I was low on charcoal one day so went to use the gasser. When I opened it up, there was a bird condo complex inside. There were 3 nests; two with eggs in them. My wife refused to eat anything off that grill again. It was 3 years later that I got my Weber gas grill.

My patio (the covered one) I keep my grills covered, just helps to keep them cleaner. The OP brings up an interesting point with the moisture, where I live it's not an issue, but where he lives the cover could trap the moisture under it.

My grills sit on a covered area that once was used to store an RV. I still use covers on them and am glad I do especially in pollen season not to mention the occasional bird with good aim. As far as moisture goes I only cover them when they are completely dry. Here in Georgia we don't have quite the same amount of moisture. I also try to ensure I store them with the vents open.

Last edited:

Back