First Post - Getting Ready to Rehab a CL Find

B_Herrera

Hey guys,

Just picked up my first CL project and I wanted get some feedback and advice.
I've been looking for a cheap or free genesis for the past few months to restore and put to work. I finally had some luck and was the first to get to what I think is a pretty awesome find for $50. Pulled the serial number under the control panel, the Weber website gave me the Model: Platinum I 3400. I won't be able to get started on it until this weekend, I'm swamped with work and finals, but I figured I'd post it here now to get some advice and to hold me over till Friday, I'm having a hard time staying at my desk. See pics below and tell me what you think.

Just picked up, strapped in for the ride home. Making a cameo is the Smokey Joe Silver I picked up earlier that day, it's replacing an awesome green SJ gold I had until it was stolen from me last week tailgating.

Can someone tell me the name of that flat cross plate over the flavorizors that is clearly doomed?

Replacement part off the top of my head:
-grates
-flavorizors
-burners
-crossover
-main knobs
-crossover ignitor
-Possibly the work table
-castors, maybe the wheels

Overall the outside seems to be in great shape but at the same time I've got zero experience here. No rust on the firebox (the back side looks almost new), no problems with the cabinets and the durawood bottom shelf inside looks like it's never had anything touch it, frame is solid, and the side burner and swing tables look to be virtually unused.

Any comments/advice are more than welcome, I know I can search through the overwhelming wealth of knowledge on this forum and find recommended cleaning methods/products/materials to use. Happy to be here and excited to get started.

The lid looks nice and nice cabinet setup, you obviously needs grates and burners. I would just get what you need to start cooking and work up from there, are the flavorizers usable?

I'll lay odds the flavorizers are SS and just need a brushing off. Looks like it was owned by a dummy but you got it before too much serious damage. I know I have seen them with the fire box burned all the way through thanks to said dummies never cleaning them. Looks pretty nice.

Hey guys,

Can someone tell me the name of that flat cross plate over the flavorizors that is clearly doomed?

I can only describe it as an ugly piece of rust that should not be there.

Great find, I suspect Platinum Series 1 are not common at all. Its based on a 5000 frame and glass doors with the revised Platinum top.

Flavorizers should be SS and might be OK, but the burners/igniter/grate look a bit sad.

I have just restored a 5000 and am so happy with the result I am going to restore another one.

Spend a little money and some time and you will have a fantastic 'top of the range' Webber gasser.

I learned something new today - I would have bet the farm that was a 5000. I'll have to look at the one I picked up last summer to see what I really have.

Junk, which doesn't belong there as it didn't come with the grill originally.

As everyone else stated, the flavorizer bars are stainless steel and just need a quick wire brush cleaning and they'll be good-to-go.
The 3 burner tubes and crossover should still be available from Weber, and I believe most are 50 bucks for the set.
Mother Weber just re-vamped a lot of their price list and things like the burner control knobs are now 5 bucks each (just an fyi)
The igniter is still pretty cheap at 10-12 bucks.
I'd leave the work table & 8" wheels alone if it were mine. Those wheels aren't available in that design anymore.
The casters can be found for 5 bucks a pair at Home Depot. I just replaced a set a week or 2 ago.

Congrats on the new project and you'll find Weber grills are fairly simple to take apart and work on.
Looking forward to the rehab.

I've done a couple of Genesis restores and even though that is one rare grill the parts that need to be replaced are readily available. The rare stuff looks to be in pretty good shape. You're going to have on nice grill when you're done.

I just went to work on one of them with a SOS pad and some simple green I had. They look to be in much better shape than I had thought. Once I make a quick supply run for some better steel wool and clean a few up proper I'll post some pics.

Wow, that is a find right there! That is going to be a beauty when all cleaned up. Have fun restoring her.

Back