Charcoal chute/Ash scoop

Matt Grabill

TVWBB Fan
Reposting photo of my charcoal chute idea and thought I would add my take on an ash scoop.The plastic conforms to the shape of the charcoal bowl nicely and scrapes it clean with minimal effort.You can also use it to cover your wireless thermometer setup during inclement weather after a quick rinse with water.Best of all,you can empty said container by mixing contents with clear spirits of choice for a TRUE Arnold Palmer !!!

null_zpsb307d8bb.jpg

IMAG0053_zpsbo4vfouo.jpg

IMAG0052_zpssvj5jyv3.jpg

IMAG0051_zpsa3jwenv5.jpg

I see that this would work, but please help me understand why you would do this instead of just dumping out the ashes. I'm always looking for a easier/better way to do things but this seems like more work than just dumping. What am I missing?

3 or 4 scoops does it and makes it real easy to put ashes into empty charcoal bag and out for trash.Plus it scrapes the bowl of residue that does not come out when dumping.

Well, I drink my share of Arnold Palmer so I'll have to try this. My method is dump and brush out the bowl, but I have to admit it is a bit of a pain to brush it out over the can I use. This might be an option. Thanks.

Honest to God, I was thinking the same thing the other day for an ash scoop, remembering back to how Dad kept a bleach bottle for scooping out our Jon boat. I might be wrong, but I bet your scoop works just as good or better than the Weber scoop. Thanks for posting.

Weber scoop is metal right? The plastic bottle conforms to the bowl perfectly with just a little pressure and as I said it scrapes it clean.No metal on metal contact protects porcelain finish.Just trying to contribute to the forum,you guys have provided me with plenty of sound advice that has allowed me to produce great food for family and friends !!

I agree those are both good ideas, in fact I'll likely build a charcoal chute like that soon.
As for ashes, I live in the country so it's a simple matter of picking a spot in the yard to dump them. Plus: I live in Kansas and it seems the wind is always blowing a hundred miles an hour when I try to cook :mad: so the ashes get scattered pretty good.

I had a fire place shovel that I was gonna use but now I'm gonna give this a shot! It's a great idea especially for a newbie like me.

Back