Favorite Hot Sauce

Ernie D

TVWBB Pro
What are some of your favorite hot sauces?

I have always liked Franks Red Hot sauce, Texas Petes, chalula, and tobasco. But, recently I have been completely addicted to a lot of different Habanero sauces... Some with carrot and other veggie or fruit bases.

Are there any chilliheads out there? I would love to know some of your favorite hot sauces. I like heat, but not excessive spice from added pepper extract.

EDIT: I forgot Rooster Sauce... Love that stuff!

Louisiana, Tapatio, Rooster Sauce (Sriracha) ... Lately I've been buying canned chipotle in adobo sauce and blending it up into a paste.

I'm not a total "pepper-head", but I know what I like. I like the kind of heat that creeps-up on you - where you start sweating after about 20 minutes, but it also has to have flavor. If you want heat without flavor, just eat a spoonfull of Cayenne.

My vote goes for:

-Cholula for Mexican-style. It has both heat and a great flavor. I like to douse a roll-up of chorizo & eggs with a spritz of the stuff.

Also gotta' agree with Cullen - love the flavor of chipotle in adobo, blended in to balance other flavors (a little goes a long way).

-Sriracha for Asian-style

Iguana Smokey Chipotle for me.
icon_biggrin.gif

Pepperdoux is my favorite. I do like Cholula a lot. Not a fan of Texas Pete. To me it tastes like one would expect from a Carolina hot sauce, i.e., vinegary but weak on chile flavor. Mostly I make m y own but for purchases Pepperdoux is my go-to.

Sriracha is a great addition to lots of sauces (try a bit in hollandaise). I remember first trying it not long after it first became available, at a pho joint not far from the spot where it was first developed in Los Angeles, in the early 80s, iirc. Sure glad it went national.

I'm addicted to putting this sauce on my breakfast eggs. I found it at a Latin grocery in pittsburgh and like to make sure my pantry always has a back up.

My wife uses sriracha on everything and is also addicted to Crystal. Where I have one extra bottle, she has 10 extra Crystals on hand
icon_eek.gif
. Crystal is my hot sauce that I use to up the heat of my home mixed bbq sauces. It has a fairly neutral flavor so it doesn't add much more that a bit of chile heat.

Frank's on just about anything.

I do like Cholula for a change of pace.

I also like Tabasco Chipotle sauce.....I like it in small doses and I also like to cook with it.

I like most of the brands listed already. Cholula, El Yucateco, Tapatio, etc...

Something I really like though are the Carribbean hot sauces. Barbados pepper sauce is something I really enjoy on my eggs or even my fajitas (as opposed to something more mexican).

Here's a picture of
bajan pepper sauce

Sriracha, I really enjoy. But more as an ingredient than as a stand-alone.

Can't stand any Tabasco products. The traditional stuff...is tastes mostly of vinegar.

Atta boy J! Valentina is a staple at my house. It is my favorite red hot sauce. I've really been spraying the green tabasco on lots of stuff lately too. Tasty stuff!

I too like the Valentina. I came across a bottle a couple of weeks ago when I was in Galveston; pretty good stuff.

G, have you tried the chipotle tabasco? It's not bad.

Paul

I'm not a big hot sauce fan, but I usually buy Crystal (even though I live within 20 miles of the manufacturer of Texas Pete).

Originally posted by K Kruger:
Pepperdoux is my favorite. I do like Cholula a lot.
I agree Kevin, with a "but" thrown in. Pepperdoux is the best tasting pepper sauce I have ever tasted, "but" I just consider it a pepper sauce, as it has very little heat. I don't know, maybe I just got 12 bottles of "little heat to them", duno?
My favorite hot sauce hands down is Cholula, perfect balance for my taste, of heat and flavor, but Pepperdoux blows it away as far as flavor goes. JMO

Matouks's Calypso Sauce is my favorite, heat and some flavor. I sometimes just put 1-2 tablespoons onto a cup of rice and go at it.

Like Tabasco, Cholula, and Sriracha.

Cholula for taste, El Yucateco Habanero for heat and the Louisiana style habanero hot sauce from Dollar Tree, I use it to add heat to BBQ sauces. A buck for for a little over a pint is a good deal and the taste is comparable to other Louisiana style sauces.

Back