An old dog CAN learn new tricks...

Robert McGee

TVWBB Gold Member
Sometimes, you can get pleasantly surprised. We are visiting our daughter and family in SLC for Thanksgiving. They had picked up a couple of small pork sirloin roasts. I have never smoked those, before. They were so lean, I had some reservations. However, I decided to give it a whirl.

We just completed my son-in-laws Mini-Joe Silver and put on those two small roasts. We rubbed them, injected one with apple juice for the kids and one with apple juice and Sriracha Sauce for the grown ups. I decided to smoke them to tenderness but to slice, not pull (they were very lean). I smoked them until they hit 160-165 degrees, then foiled them with some apple juice and they didn't get tender until they hit about 200 degrees. After resting for about thirty minutes, we made some test slices just to check (they were for supper the following day). The meat was moist, tender and FULL of flavor. Some of the best roast (smoked) pork I have ever tasted. The next day, my wife sliced them thin, heated with just a couple of tablespoons of water in the pan to steam with the lid on to re-heat. We served them with BBQ sauce on pretzel buns. EVERYONE had seconds. Our youngest grandson is a finicky eater - he ate every scrap of his sandwich!

Our son-in-law, Ray, is VERY happy with his new Mini-Joe Silver!

We were doing meat loaf on a plank on the OTG at the same time we were smoking the roasts, so I have no pictures.

We will be doing some more of these roasts in the future, I assure you!

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

They sound delicious Robert, especially paired with the pretzel buns. What kind of wood did you use?

Always love trying something new. I personally would have only cooked them to 140 removed and foiled to let them come up to about 145.

I did one out of the four pack you get from Costco, ran it to 165 with no foiling and it was just ok. I have the othe three in the freezer still. I might try foiling after 160 and running the next one up higher and see what happens. Thx.

Bob H.;
We used Cherry Wood. It worked very well. It was commented that a slight taste of cherry was noticed (with pleasure).

FWIW
Dale53

Back