Powerful Dad moment

T Bounds

TVWBB Super Fan
This morning, 10ish, I put 5 butts on the WSM to feed a small crowd of 60 at church tomorrow. I packed a pretty good MM with a little apple and pecan and for safety's sake on a windy, windy day set the guru to run a 280 temp. After checking a few minutes ago they were hanging tight at 180 or so, but the fire looked a little peaked so I stirred and prepared to toss in a pile of charcoal. My 10 year old watched me and asked questions. "Are you getting the fire ready for tomorrow?" "Is this supposed to last all night?" "Why are you adding more charcoal?" After explaining the process, he proudly said, "Dad, your a genius!" I could have let things end there, but I told him smarter people than me helped me understand what to do. That's you all. Thanks for another powerful dad moment, courtesy of VWBB! Now, if those darn butts will hurry up so I don't lose my extra hour of sleep!

Sounds like you have a fine assistant there. It also sounds like you reinforced my favorite principle: I don't have to know everything. I just have to know how to find out.

Isn't it great your son is interested enough to ask those questions in the first place? :) Congratulations Father!

Back