A whole Butt load of BUTT!!

S.Six

TVWBB All-Star
Alright, as some of you wsm vets are aware of, when you get a wsm and start making a lot of BBQ for friends and family people start wanting you to make stuff for them. I thought this might happen some day and it did. So my buddy asked me to do some pulled pork for a community that he manages for work. He said there will be about 150-200 people there. There will also be hot dogs and pot luck sides. So I thought this sounded like a great opportunity to load my 18.5"wsm to the max. We figured we should do 8 pork butts.
DSCN4085_zps2bad270b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Rubbed up with weber smoky chipotle rub that I added brown sugar to.
DSCN4089_zpsf62d6d53.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
time to fire it up!
DSCN4106_zpsb37870ce.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
I loaded the bottom first using some sewers to keep the meat way from the sides.
DSCN4115_zps39b17b9a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Load the top.
DSCN4117_zps24e39770.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSCN4118_zpsfa27317a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSCN4119_zpsbd37ceaa.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
After about 16 or 17 hours I pulled 4 off that seemed to be the most tender. about another hour or two for the other four. Total time was about 19 hours. It was really hard to tell what temp I was running at, I had a prob though the vent and my ET-732. for about the first 7hrs my 732 never went higher then 212. I tried not to worry about it to much, it seemed hot and I figured if I gave it time it would turn out, and it did.
DSCN4120_zpscd0b2cff.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSCN4124_zps233b4f3a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSCN4125_zps60c7e780.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Well, here ya go! eight butts on the 18.5"er. Thanks for lookin!!
Oh, btw, the pork was a big hit with everyone, and we figured that we only had about one butt left after it was all said and done.

Last edited:
That is one hell of a lot of pig there!!!! Looks awesome!!!!! Congrats on the great cook! The WSM is on amazing cooking device!!!!!!

Here's my new toys I got with the 50$ gift card I won from the drawing we had about a month ago. Those bear paws are all business, they really ripped apart those butts. And the gloves are awesome for moving hot food around with.
DSCN4060_zps1dcc0268.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

That will be one happy crowd. Pretty cool to see the 18.5 capacity being pushed to its limits and still performing like a champ.

Last edited:
Looks great. Way to show the potential of the 18.5!!!

Last edited:
Really nice looking pork and a lot of it!! 19 hours seems like a long time. Next time you pull pork just try using your hands in your insulated gloves to pull it. You will ditch the bear claws.

Great idea with the skewers and standing the butts on end. I was thinking you were not going to get that lid down when I saw the one pic. Excellent photos. I would never have thought the 18.5 would handle that much. What was the total weight?

That is a whole lot of butt for sure. I am the same as Gary, didn't look like the lid was gonna fit.

Well done on the cook!

That's a lot of Butt!! ;) Great looking cook - amazing how much you were able to fit in the 18.5. Outstanding!!!!!

Great idea with the skewers and standing the butts on end. I was thinking you were not going to get that lid down when I saw the one pic. Excellent photos. I would never have thought the 18.5 would handle that much. What was the total weight?
I believe it was around 60lbs.

Back