Chuck Tender Steak

D M Sattelberg

TVWBB Member
After reading about the new Wal-Mart meats here, I looked at them this morning during my weekly shopping trip.

I saw something that caught my eye. It was called a "chuck tender steak"

After seeing so many incredible pictures about the chuck eye steak, I was wondering if that is what I was seeing at Wal-Mart.

Its price was very reasonable, about 4.59 per pound, if my memory serves me.

Does anybody have any experience with this cut of meat....Is it the elusive chuck eye steak?!

Thanks Friends...Happy Grilling

Great example Dwain!
Mr. Sattelberg, does your Chuck Tender Steak look like this ▼ ?

450px-Chuck_steaks.jpg

If so, you got chuck eye steaks!

Boy, I explained what I wanted from the butcher Friday afternoon and he show me a. Buck roast and the portion that would be my chuck eye, I never unwrapped them to take a look. I was in such a hurry to get home and look at the CIG's and throw those T-Bones on them, my thoughts were on the task at hand. I saved a pick that Bob had placed on a thread when he and Jim were helping someone else decipher the illusive chuck eye. I asked Bob yesterday about what to look for and expect and mentioned that mine were 1 1/2" thick. I'm gonna have to break out the Thermapen. I guess all the cooks can't turn out a home run. I'll post later this evening, hope I've trapped that dang bern chuck eye! :)

Great example Dwain!
Mr. Sattelberg, does your Chuck Tender Steak look like this ▼ ?

450px-Chuck_steaks.jpg

If so, you got chuck eye steaks!

I regret that I didn't buy them. I want to say that they were similar to them, but to me those look just like a ribeye. And after reading the wiki that Dwain linked, I now see why they look like ribeye, heck, they are only a few inches away from them.

I really wish I would have picked them up, but there is always next week. I figure that if its not to my liking, I can always grind it up and have fresh burger.

I am just always leary of the "wording" on fresh meats. Seems like the USDA could really step in and help joe consumer out in this regard.

Picked up some chuck-eyes this morning for $4.98/lb at an independent grocery store down the road a piece.
They had a package marked Chuck Eye Steaks, but they were very large around.
A meat cutter was nearby and I said that I'd never seen chuck eyes that big.
He said "those are marked wrong, they're just chuck steaks"
They were so well marbled that I honestly wasn't sure, and he said that sometimes they get in Choice beef that would actually grade Prime.
They looked tempting, but I passed.

My purchase:
IMGP2348.JPG

After reading about the new Wal-Mart meats here, I looked at them this morning during my weekly shopping trip.

I saw something that caught my eye. It was called a "chuck tender steak"

After seeing so many incredible pictures about the chuck eye steak, I was wondering if that is what I was seeing at Wal-Mart.

Its price was very reasonable, about 4.59 per pound, if my memory serves me.

Does anybody have any experience with this cut of meat....Is it the elusive chuck eye steak?!

Thanks Friends...Happy Grilling

I don't do WM, but it's prolly the same thing. I used to buy a whole cow every year down in southern Indiana. I'd get a couple pacs of "mock or chuck tender steaks" and man they was good. Talked to the meat locker butcher and he told me to look for chuck eye steaks around my area.

Tim

Your Purchase: PERFECT! Quality Chuck Eyes!

might hafta eet some tomorrow after today's ribs and yardbird....

Back