4lb - Chuck Roast
2 - Big Bell Peppers sliced
1 - Big Red Onion sliced
3 - Big Jalapenos Sliced seed and all
6 - Garlic Cloves mince
1/4 - cup Worcestershire Sauce
1 - 12oz Bottle Guinness Extra Stout
Kosher Salt and Black Pepper

Heavily season Chuck roast with salt and pepper and cook on a grill or smoker indirect in the 245º-260º range. You can add smoke wood if you prefer, I did not. Cook until the internal temperature reaches 165º.

While the roast is cooking, add the remaining ingredients in 13 x 9 or similar aluminum pan or oven safe pan.

Once the roast hits 165º, place into pan directly on top of vegetable mixture and cover tightly with foil. Cook roast in smoker or oven at 350º for 2.5-3hrs or until roast is fork tender. Once meat is tender, shred all of the meat in the liquid and mix thoroughly and continue to cook until the liquid reduces by half.

Serve meat on hard rolls with your choice of cheese. We used pepper jack on some and gorgonzola on some and liked both, but provolone, swiss, etc., would work perfectly fine. Horseradish would be another good condiment.

VmQGKQR.jpg

GYAlPzz.jpg

VlIOH5o.jpg

4pIDS8D.jpg

TzOeDbj.jpg

npS2E8W.jpg

hufcK7E.jpg

WzBWdQj.jpg

LKELcmf.jpg

ryWhdaQ.jpg

Photo Credit: Larry Wolfe, used with permission.

Last edited by a moderator:
Larry, this looks SPECTACULAR! Wife wants me to do this recipe NOW
icon_smile.gif

I'm not sure I can get the WSM up to 350' for 2 to 3 hours, but the oven is a good idea to close the deal.
Larry, your grate, on the grill? Can I ask where you got them? I've been looking high and low for cast grates for my 22.5 Weber OTG and I can not find them anywhere.
Thankyou.

Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
icon_smile.gif

I'm not sure I can get the WSM up to 350' for 2 to 3 hours, but the oven is a good idea to close the deal.
Larry, your grate, on the grill? Can I ask where you got them? I've been looking high and low for cast grates for my 22.5 Weber OTG and I can not find them anywhere.
Thankyou.
Hmmmm .. I seem to remember that same question coming up yesterday...And I answered it. Oh, I get it...

Bill

Hey Thanks Bill! I left the forum Sunday morning for groceries after posting and I could not remember where I posted when I returned.
Thanks again!!

Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
icon_smile.gif

Thankyou.

Jim, the oven is perfectly fine for the second half of the cook, cooking on the WSM or grill would provide no benefit since the dish is foiled. Matter of fact, I took this off the grill to make room for the chicken wings.

Larry,

As I said in the grilling forum, this sounds so good! I'm going to do this very soon and want to work out the timing. About how long did it take for the 4# chuck roast to get to 165º at the 245º-260º range? I know every piece of meat is different, just looking for approximates.

Thanks in advance!
DC

Originally posted by Don Cash:
Larry,

As I said in the grilling forum, this sounds so good! I'm going to do this very soon and want to work out the timing. About how long did it take for the 4# chuck roast to get to 165º at the 245º-260º range? I know every piece of meat is different, just looking for approximates.

Thanks in advance!
DC

Don, if I recall correctly about 2.5 hours. You could certainly go with a higher heat to speed up the process, especially since it's braising in liquide for the remainder of the cook, unlike typical shredded beef.

Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
Don, if I recall correctly about 2.5 hours. You could certainly go with a higher heat to speed up the process
The way that looks, no way I'm altering your recipe! I'll plan on 6 hours.

Thanks!!

Larry, a spectacular recipe!! My wife had "seconds" and I have never seen that before with any food. Could not find a hard roll (unreal), so we used a french Batard loaf - sliced off 4" and we were off and running. Thanks for the pleasurable experience!

Originally posted by Cliff Parham:
Larry, a spectacular recipe!! My wife had "seconds" and I have never seen that before with any food. Could not find a hard roll (unreal), so we used a french Batard loaf - sliced off 4" and we were off and running. Thanks for the pleasurable experience!

Glad you and your wife enjoyed it!!

Larry,

I'm doing this recipe right now and am currently in the finishing in the oven stage. I had the thermometer in the meat and noticed that it hit 200 degrees fairly quickly (in about an hour). I thought 200 was when beef needed to be pulled but it's still a little tough. It's been about 2.5 hours since I put it in the oven and am wondering how much longer I should go. I just checked and the middle of the roast is not "pull worthy". The outer edges were ready to be pulled but the middle just wasn't there yet. I am assuming I'll just need to let it go for another 45mins or so..

Any tips are appreciated! It smells incredible in here!

Thanks,
Pat

Originally posted by P.Schaff:
Larry,

I'm doing this recipe right now and am currently in the finishing in the oven stage. I had the thermometer in the meat and noticed that it hit 200 degrees fairly quickly (in about an hour). I thought 200 was when beef needed to be pulled but it's still a little tough. It's been about 2.5 hours since I put it in the oven and am wondering how much longer I should go. I just checked and the middle of the roast is not "pull worthy". The outer edges were ready to be pulled but the middle just wasn't there yet. I am assuming I'll just need to let it go for another 45mins or so..

Any tips are appreciated! It smells incredible in here!

Thanks,
Pat

Pat, sorry I didn't see this until today, so obviously I'm too late. But with chucks, you really need to just cook until you can insert a fork and twist them like spaghetti. Generally you can start checking around 195º-200º but they're not done until they're tender and they can be stubborn!!

How did it turn out?

Larry it turned out GREAT! I gave it another hour or so and then the meat pulled beautifully. You're right, some pieces of meat are just more stubborn than others and I think I had a particularly fiesty one this time around.

Sorry no pictures this time, camera battery was drained. I particularly enjoyed the spice level, as I like things to have a good kick. For those that don't enjoy heavy heat they might think about removing the seeds from the jalapenos, but that's the only comment I have on this wonderful dish.

this recipe is so GOOD. i seeded the jalapenos otherwise to the tee. big hit with the whole family. even my 2 and 4 yr olds loved it.
thank you Larry Wolfe for sharing.
Leif

How much fat is left in the chuck roast using this method?.........do you kind of pull it on top of the veggie mix, weeding out the unsavory bits before mixing it up?...........I just bought a couple chuckies and I'm dying to try this out!!!

Hi Larry,

Since first seeing this recipe months ago, I have been anxious to give it a try. I finally got around to it this past Saturday.

Found a nice 4 lb. roast at the local Publix. I tried to follow your recipe as closely as possible. My only deviation was the jalapenos. I forgot to get them so I substituted some homemade habanero hot sauce.

I used my Performer to smoke the roast. I also used one small chunk of hickory for smoke. It took about 2 1/2 hours to reach 165 degrees internal. I then transferred the roast to the pan of vegetables and into a 350 oven for 3 hours.

Wow!! It was delicious. We ate it like a pot roast rather than on sandwiches. This recipe is definitely a keeper

I wish that I had taken photos. Thank you for this recipe.

Looks superb Larry. Definitely one I will try...soon!

Quick question..ok, make that two, another one popped in my head...

1- I've noticed in your pics that you have all the fuel over in one corner of your grill, but it doesn't appear to be burned down when you start your cook. You may have addressed this once, but can you describe your method for heat?

2- Have you ever deviated from this recipe at all? Maybe tried habaneros, or red bell peppers, etc? Or maybe marinated the meat for a while first?

Thanks!

Thanks for posting this one Larry. I made it here for the first time this weekend. http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums?a=...591045495#4591045495

My first impression was it was a bit spicy however with the left overs the heat seemed to mellow some! I did seed the peppers and only used two. None the less this one was a winner! Thanks again brother! Vince B

BTW your skins look a little better this year!

Back