Storage -- Simple way to keep the rain water out

Brian Lanius

TVWBB Fan
I have found that if I store my WSM with the middle section inverted, I can keep almost all rain water out. It will run over and down the sides instead of directly in. I store my WSM under my deck, so it is semi protected. With the middle inverted it is always dry, even after heavy rains.

I wonder if you could cook that way??? I'm guessing the greasy/smokey stuff could drip on the outside of the cooker, but if it would hold temp, some might be willing to take that trade off.

Your top grate might be a bit too close to the fire...
icon_razz.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jerry N.:
I wonder if you could cook that way??? I'm guessing the greasy/smokey stuff could drip on the outside of the cooker, but if it would hold temp, some might be willing to take that trade off. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't want the outside looking like the inside of my WSM lol. I use a section of my double sided hot water heater wrap, have the top pinched shut like the original Army class A caps, put that over the top and it keeps the rain out. Never did it in a major downpour, but it works great for just a "regular" rain.

I've had success just putting a big, heavy-duty garbage bag over the smoker, under the weber cover. The combination of the two seems to work well for me...

I put the 30 gallon bag OVER the cover - keeps the water off the cover, too. I hold it down with a bungee cord.

My mistake, I thought we were talking about keeping the rain water out WHILE cooking lol. I also use the garbage bag with a bungee cord if I leave it sit outside. It's on wheels, so most times, I pull it into the garage.

You can also spray the Weber cover with Coleman's Tent Sealer (a silicone I guess). It's made mine tight as a duck's butt.

Back