Page 54 of 54 FirstFirst ... 444525354

Thread: Bacon made easy

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Bob Correll's Avatar
    Was this a Costco belly? Their's seem to be much more 'cleaned up' but they look fine to me.

TVWBB Platinum Member Dustin Dorsey's Avatar
    I bought it from my butcher a long time ago. It was just cryovacced so I'm not sure of the source. I did some trimming of surface silver skin, but I didn't go crazy with it.
    22.5 WSM, 22.5 OTS, Smokey Joe, Genesis 1000, Slow N Sear 2.0, Smokenator 1000, Old Country Pecos, Thermapen, Smoke, Maverick ET-732, Igrill 2

TVWBB Super Fan
    There definitely is a "best" section to every belly.

But it all eats good.

TVWBB Super Fan

Nectar of the gods.

Well, I finished making the bacon and slicing it. I did a good job on slicing one section and then the fatigue set in and I didn't do so well on the other. It is thick cut, but I know how to cook it so it turns out good. I'm definitely going to get a slicer before I make another batch. I found some 5 lb hunks of belly at the grocery store for 3.99 a pound. I waited til the expiration date and 4 were still there marked down to 2.40 a pound and I bought them all. I'll post some pictures tomorrow.
    22.5 WSM, 22.5 OTS, Smokey Joe, Genesis 1000, Slow N Sear 2.0, Smokenator 1000, Old Country Pecos, Thermapen, Smoke, Maverick ET-732, Igrill 2

Ok. Here's some pictured of my bacon cook. It turned out really well. I'm definitely going to do this again.

Uncured bellies.

Here's a future belly I got on sale. These were 2.40 a pound. I'm a little worried that they are smithfield and might be enhanced or something, but we'll see.

Bellies on the WSM 22.5 early saturday morning. I got them on around 7a.m.

My woefully inadequate snake. This is longer than the last one I made for sausage. However, the outside temp was a lot lower so instead of getting 150 out of the single row and 180 out of the double row I got 130 and 150. This cook took FOREVER. I had to add to the snake twice and I finally got the bacon off at 3pm. The larger chunk just would not roll over to 145. It got to 144 and stayed there for an hour so I pulled it.

Here's a section before slicing.

I wound up cutting it in half and going lengthwise. These slice are perfect for BLTs.

Slice

This is the bigger chunk cured with TQ. I did ok but since this section was so weird a lot of this part wound up as lardons. I also was fatigued and didn't chill this part in the freezer long enough.

Here's some I fried up. It turned out great.

We sampled both sections, the one with cure#1 and the TQ one last night. Both turned out really tasty. It was more or less a tie. The TQ one was a touch saltier but that can be fixed with a longer soak. I just rinsed both. I could taste no difference as far as the brown sugar I put on the cure#1 section. I agree with Bob's assessment that anything you put on ahead of time really won't translate as much into the final product. When you weigh everything as far as ease of use, taste, safety, etc, Bob's method wins hand's down. Thanks for the excellent recipe, Bob!

TVWBB Super Fan
    Looks good.
    No need to stress about temperature

First, its already cured. It doesnt have to reach pasteurization conditions.

Second, pasteurization is time and temp.
    145 F for 3 minutes gives 5 log reduction
    140 F for 9 minutes
    137 F for 18 minutes
    135 F for 36 minutes

When slow smoking, temp rise is so slow, its fully pasteurized at lower temps than hot cooking, on top of being cured already.

No need to ever go over 140, imo, if cook low temp. You are losing fat....melting your bacon. Check the drip pan.

The lower you cook, the lower your pasteurization temp will be. I stop in 135-140 range, confident its fully pasteurized, on top of being cured. Depending on how slow temp rise is, start timing at some point, but go by chart, not just 145F.
    Last edited by MartinB; 11-25-2019 at 02:37 AM.

Congrats on your first bacon Dustin, it looks great!
    Good info from Martin. Years ago, with no real guide, I cold smoked bacon and hams.
    No clue what the heat temp was, probably a little above 100F, and no clue of the finished meat temp, I just smoked it until it looked the color I wanted.

TVWBB Hall of Fame Dwain Pannell's Avatar
    Just got back from Costco and put another belly on cure (cut in half = 2 slabs). For so many times I cant count....Thx again Bob!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwain Pannell View Post
    Just got back from Costco and put another belly on cure (cut in half = 2 slabs). For so many times I can’t count....Thx again Bob!
    You're welcome!
    I'm slacking, I haven't made any in for some time now, need a Costco run.

Page 54 of 54 FirstFirst ... 444525354