Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 242505152

Thread: Bacon made easy

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Bob Correll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BFletcher View Post
    Can I make a decent pork belly bacon simply by following Bob's thread #1, or do I need to read-through all 500+ threads in this highly-popular post? What is considered the maximum-allowable temp for cold smoking, and can I do this at a higher temp due to 80-90 degree Fahrenheit summer temps? Thanks.
    Yes.

First attempt I'd use MTQ only, in the amount described, then follow the directions to finish.
    Cold smoking is not necessary, but you should shoot for around 150F smoker/grill temp, give or take 10 degrees.
    The longer it takes to get the belly to 145F the more smoke it takes on.
    A single row snake/fuse with chunks of wood works well, in most cases. Adjust vents as needed. KBB works great due to the fact they light so well off of each other.
    Good luck!
    and a Pit Boss Kamado

Thanks, Bob

Can I make a decent pork belly bacon simply by following Bob's thread #1, or do I need to read-through all 500+ threads in this highly-popular post? What is considered the maximum-allowable temp for cold smoking, and can I do this at a higher temp due to 80-90 degree Fahrenheit summer temps? Thanks.
    You can follow the summarized version here with photos: https://virtualweberbullet.com/makin...ork-belly.html

TVWBB Super Fan
    Definitely prolong the smoke as long as can by cooking low temp. There's no risk once it's been cured. using temps like 180 to 200 as some websites will say is way too hot and results in a short cook and very little smoke flavor.

And while you will find people cutting it thick by hand and saying they love it...... To cook it evenly all the pieces need to be the same thickness throughout... There really isn't a replacement for a good meat slicer imo , whether you like it thick or thin, uniformity is a key to cooking your bacon just right. A used meat slicer is a good investment.
    Last edited by MartinB; 08-07-2019 at 05:24 AM.

TVWBB Fan

Canadian Bacon turns out great too!

Dear Bob,

Using your dry cure recipe I did a couple of pork tenderloins using a mix of one tablespoon curing salt, 1/2 teaspoon of Hot-shot coarse blended pepper mix and a wee bit of brown sugar, like 1/8 teaspoon, per pound of meat. I dry mixed everything, and applied it like I was applying a bbq rub. I covered every inch of the tenderloins and shoved them in the fridge in a zip lock bag. One week later I rinsed them and aired them out overnight in the fridge.

I will never buy Canadian bacon again. I had all ready decided that I'll never buy store bought belly bacon either. I've also decided that I will use the exact same curing method for pork bellies going forward. The first couple I did I wet cured them in a similar curing salt brine with apple juice. They turned out well, but I think the dry cure method is less hassle, and way more of the pepper mix sticks to meat.

Thanks again for starting this thread so many years ago!

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg, PA

Tim,
    I'm glad you're enjoying making your own American style bacon, and now Canadian bacon too.
    It's been awhile since I've made CB, I need to pick up a loin.
    and a Pit Boss Kamado

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Correll View Post
    Place it in a plastic bag.

After removing from the smoker or grill, bag it air tight and place in ice water to rapidly cool.
    I'm moving closer to trying this recipe but have a couple questions:

1: during the cure can I vac seal it? If so, should I remove all the air, or only to the degree that would simulate a freezer bag hand-sealed?

2: Can I vac seal it during the rapid cool, removing all air during the seal process?

Thanks

I'm moving closer to trying this recipe but have a couple questions:

1: during the cure can I vac seal it? If so, should I remove all the air, or only to the degree that would simulate a freezer bag hand-sealed?

2: Can I vac seal it during the rapid cool, removing all air during the seal process?

Thanks
    As far as number 1, maybe someone that's tried it will chime in. Personally I wouldn't unless you do leave room for the liquids that will form to distribute when the bag is flipped over daily.
    For number 2, I say no. Moisture will form when it's cooling and I like to dry it well before any bagging is done for storage.
    and a Pit Boss Kamado

Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 242505152