BRITU Recipe; salt

Others may know better but I believe the iodine give a bit of an off flavor. I personally never use table salt and dont even have any in my house. I only use kosher or sea salt.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Babek:
but I believe the iodine give a bit of an off flavor. I only use kosher or sea salt. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
IMO, yes it does. I used iodized salt one time when making breakfast sausage many years ago, and it just had this weird salt taste to it.
icon_eek.gif
Never again. Sea and Kosher here also.

As usual, opinions vary on the subject. I think that by the time you cook the meat and slather it with the 5:1 mix of KC Masterpiece Original + honey, you'll never notice any off-taste from table salt with iodine. If you have table salt with iodine added, I would use it. I have used it, no problem for me.

Regards,
Chris

I use kosher salt with BRITU and it works fine. BRITU is a pretty salty recipe and using kosher salt cuts down on the salt a little bit. I don't really do this because I have noticed any taste difference from using table salt, but I don't by table salt any more and just use kosher and sea salt now.

BRITU was developed for competition cooking and Iodized salt can give you an off color besides flavor problems.

Jim

I agree with Jerry. BRITU is pretty salty. I cut the amount in half. This seems to work pretty good, but still seems to be to much. I'll still play with it until I get it right.

Good to hear from you Jim. I had no idea that iodized salt can alter the color of ribs. Does it darken them?

I can imagine, in large amounts, that some might taste a difference, but I honestly don't have a sensitive enough palette. I'm not much a salt fan to begin with, and hardly put it on any food, as a seasoning. I only use it in following recipes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Minion:
BRITU was developed for competition cooking and Iodized salt can give you an off color besides flavor problems.

Jim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know to avoid iodized salt when it comes to brining or pickling because it makes the liquid murky (unappealing) and can add an off taste but I have never heard of iodized salt changing the color of ribs. I have used a variety of salts (iodized, kosher, sea salt) and have never noticed a difference in appearance (and frankly taste, as Chris mentions above) and I am a dry rib guy. Now you have made me curious. Jim, have you personally had this experience?

Erik

I think another reason to avoid table salt is that with the fine crystals, it is “saltier” than Kosher or sea salt (perhaps more mass per volume?). BTW, I find BRITU recipe WAY to salty for my tastes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Don Irish:
I think another reason to avoid table salt is that with the fine crystals, it is “saltier” than Kosher or sea salt (perhaps more mass per volume?). BTW, I find BRITU recipe WAY to salty for my tastes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, table salt is fine-grained, therefore measured by volume it's always less than kosher and sea salt (large-grained). A cup of table salt is equivalent to 2 cups of Diamond Crystal Kosher salt. Here's a link for more information, if interested.

I always salt my foods prior to adding the rub. That way I know exactly how much is going on and the moisture released from pre-salting makes the rub stick to the meat better.

Erik

Back