Best Brining bags?

Jack O

TVWBB Member
Hello folks,

My wife and I like to smoke small roasts, turkey breasts, chickens, etc - where can we get the best deal on brining bags? I just bough a few at Bed, Bath and Beyond but they were $4.99 each for a 23.5" x 19.5" bag which seems a bit expensive. We bought a few turkey brining bags at Ralley's but they were so thin that they sprang a leak with a small chicken.

Thanks for any responses,

Jack

Hello folks,

My wife and I like to smoke small roasts, turkey breasts, chickens, etc - where can we get the best deal on brining bags? I just bough a few at Bed, Bath and Beyond but they were $4.99 each for a 23.5" x 19.5" bag which seems a bit expensive. We bought a few turkey brining bags at Ralley's but they were so thin that they sprang a leak with a small chicken.

Thanks for any responses,

Jack

The 'brining bags' are a rip off, IMHO. I use regular Ziplock bags. You can get them in sizes up to 2.5 gallons, so they'll hold quite a bit. And the cost is much, much lower.

As Bill mentioned a cooler works well or I use a 5-gallon food storage bucket especially for large items like whole turkey.

Hefty makes 2.5 gallon bags, 12 count.
Not sure if they're as heavy duty as Ziploc.

I've had noting but bad experiences with the hefty bags, they just won't seal completely and leak. So far it's been 9 out of 10 that haven't sealed well. I won't buy them again.

Hefty makes 2.5 gallon bags, 12 count.
Not sure if they're as heavy duty as Ziploc.

Thanks Bob. Yes, the ones I have are from Hefty. I guess I use the term "Ziplock" too loosely. Now looking over my shoulder for the trademark cops. :p

I've had noting but bad experiences with the hefty bags, they just won't seal completely and leak. So far it's been 9 out of 10 that haven't sealed well. I won't buy them again.

I usually put mine in another container for just that reason. But they usually aren't filled completely to capacity, so I haven't had any issues.

Last edited:

Back