Question about Amazon Prime.... *****

Tony R

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
If I get this service it's $79 a year and will get 2 day shipping on most items?? The free downloads and music and books right???

Is there a reason I shouldn't get Amazon prime?

Maribel started to buy a few things and I'm want a few stuff and looks like it's something I will use often in the future.

Prime is a great bargain, and you can try it free for 30 days. Use the link from here to sign up. The videos are streamed, not down loaded. Chromecast does not support prime, but Roku does. I use the Amazon credit card to receive 3 points for every dollar spent on Amazon.

Last edited:
Prime is great if you order a fair amount of stuff from Amazon, like I do.
I've bought things for just a few bucks and had them always arrive, with free shipping, in 2 days, sometimes the next day.

One tip, since there are several third party sellers, be sure to click the Prime only box when searching for an item.

edit to add:
I pay for my Prime by using the search engine on a site called Swagbucks.
Search and daily polls are all I do on that site.
Accumulate 450 'swagbucks' and get a $5 Amazon gift card.
So far this year I've received close to $100 worth of Amazon gift cards.

as a side note, I still use Google mostly for my searches, but I leave the Swagbucks search window open and several times a day do a search.
the 'bucks' come randomly, anywhere from 6 to 30 or more.

Last edited:
I've used it for a few years.... I don't use their streaming, every time I try it there's a mix of free & $$ selections and netflix/etc are easier for me.

........just their web-based streamer??? I don't remember. I use VLC and Windows media player, and have another one too (XMBC but I didn't get too into that)... I'll have to try it again

Thank you gentlemen.
I'm getting prime then. :D
Tony,
You also can have up to 4 household members sharing your Prime account.
In other words, Maribel can sign up on your account, use her own credit card, and buy you neat stuff without you knowing it! :)
Jo Anne and Tyler do this, so between the three of us, a big brown truck visits our house often.

And my daughter, married and living away, will sometimes have me order for her, I pay, but have it shipped to her house, and she reimburses me.

Honestly, Amazon has changed the way I shop. With the Prime membership, it doesn't take too many orders of free shipping to pay for the year's membership. 40 pound bag of charcoal.. Fifty pound set of cast iron cookware... GRILLS... With no shipping/handling fees. There's really not much you can't get on Amazon, and a good majority of it is Prime Eligible.

One HUGE aspect for me is being able to read the reviews of the various products. Occasionally sellers will post fake positive reviews for their products or fake negative reviews of competing products, but for the most part the reviews are tremendous help when deciding between different brands or styles of different things. The fake reviews are easy to spot, because there will be a bunch submitted over a short amount of time and none of them will be designated "Amazon Verified Purchase".

One not-so-obvious bonus is being able to avoid sales tax from time to time. If there is an Amazon distribution center in your state, it takes a little work. If you don't have a distro in your state, you may be in great shape. Anyway, if there are multiple "sellers" you can see where they are based, and select an out of state seller. It will say "sold by xxxx fulfilled by Amazon". It's not worth messing with for cheap stuff, but on the more expensive items, it's well worth checking. Sometimes it doesn't matter, as the item only sells through Amazon, but a lot times it works.

Return policies are really great as well. The few times I've received broken or incorrect items, UPS picks the box back up the following day. Just go online, buzz through a couple of questions, and a return label will be printed a yor local UPS place. All you have to do is tape up a box and it ships back at no charge.

AND... The prices and selection are great. Some of the deals I've gotten in the last couple years are incredible. You can get stuff that may be unavailable in your area, or are just a regional item that you'd never even heard of.

Last edited:
You need to ask yourself why you shouldn't get Prime. It has paid for itself over and over for me. A lot of times I will get something from Amazon instead of going to the store. It is here in 2 days, I don't have to waste gas and I don't have to search for it in the store either. Unlike my Wife I hate shopping so Prime is perfect for me.

Prime shipping is amazing! I ordered my laptop on a Friday at 5pm. Paid $8 for Saturday delivery and had it by 9am the next day! Wow! Plus the money I saved purchasing it from Amazon paid for my Prime membership.

used along with camelcamelcamel. amazon has changed the way i shop. i buy everything from amazon. razors, rubs, grills, stupid things i dont need...

I think you'll love PRIME Tony… I tried it and kept it, especially after looking back at my purchase history and seeing just how much I order from Amazon.

I've had Prime for two years now. I was paying ~$8 a month to Netflix and buying things on Amazon, hoping to get large enough orders so I could get the free Super Saver shipping. Instead of giving Netflix ~$96 a year and getting only streaming, I give Amazon ~$80 per year and get streaming AND free two day shipping. It was a no brainer, and I haven't regretted it for a moment. To get the streaming on your TV, you need to have a TV, BluRay player, etc that has a Prime app on it though. Fortunately, at the time I signed up, my kids had broken my old one. So my first purchase with Prime was a new BluRay player. :D Two days later, I was up and streaming.

Back