4lb - Chuck Roast
2 - Big Bell Peppers sliced
1 - Big Red Onion sliced
3 - Big Jalapenos Sliced seed and all
6 - Garlic Cloves mince
1/4 - cup Worcestershire Sauce
1 - 12oz Bottle Guinness Extra Stout
Kosher Salt and Black Pepper

Heavily season Chuck roast with salt and pepper and cook on a grill or smoker indirect in the 245コ-260コ range. You can add smoke wood if you prefer, I did not. Cook until the internal temperature reaches 165コ.

While the roast is cooking, add the remaining ingredients in 13 x 9 or similar aluminum pan or oven safe pan.

Once the roast hits 165コ, place into pan directly on top of vegetable mixture and cover tightly with foil. Cook roast in smoker or oven at 350コ for 2.5-3hrs or until roast is fork tender. Once meat is tender, shred all of the meat in the liquid and mix thoroughly and continue to cook until the liquid reduces by half.

Serve meat on hard rolls with your choice of cheese. We used pepper jack on some and gorgonzola on some and liked both, but provolone, swiss, etc., would work perfectly fine. Horseradish would be another good condiment.

https://i.imgur.com/VmQGKQR.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/GYAlPzz.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/VlIOH5o.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/4pIDS8D.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/TzOeDbj.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/npS2E8W.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/hufcK7E.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/WzBWdQj.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/LKELcmf.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ryWhdaQ.jpg

Jim Lampe
09-28-2009, 01:42 PM
Larry, this looks SPECTACULAR! Wife wants me to do this recipe NOW http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
I'm not sure I can get the WSM up to 350' for 2 to 3 hours, but the oven is a good idea to close the deal.
Larry, your grate, on the grill? Can I ask where you got them? I've been looking high and low for cast grates for my 22.5 Weber OTG and I can not find them anywhere.
Thankyou.

Bill Hays
09-28-2009, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
Larry, this looks SPECTACULAR! Wife wants me to do this recipe NOW http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
I'm not sure I can get the WSM up to 350' for 2 to 3 hours, but the oven is a good idea to close the deal.
Larry, your grate, on the grill? Can I ask where you got them? I've been looking high and low for cast grates for my 22.5 Weber OTG and I can not find them anywhere.
Thankyou.
Hmmmm .. I seem to remember that same question (http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5980069052/m/904103092?r=942108292#942108292) coming up yesterday...And I answered it. Oh, I get it...

Bill

Jim Lampe
09-29-2009, 01:57 AM
Hey Thanks Bill! I left the forum Sunday morning for groceries after posting and I could not remember where I posted when I returned.
Thanks again!!

Larry Wolfe
09-29-2009, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
Thankyou.

Jim, the oven is perfectly fine for the second half of the cook, cooking on the WSM or grill would provide no benefit since the dish is foiled. Matter of fact, I took this off the grill to make room for the chicken wings.

Don Cash
10-06-2009, 09:38 AM
Larry,

As I said in the grilling forum, this sounds so good! I'm going to do this very soon and want to work out the timing. About how long did it take for the 4# chuck roast to get to 165コ at the 245コ-260コ range? I know every piece of meat is different, just looking for approximates.

Thanks in advance!
DC

Larry Wolfe
10-06-2009, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Don Cash:
Larry,

As I said in the grilling forum, this sounds so good! I'm going to do this very soon and want to work out the timing. About how long did it take for the 4# chuck roast to get to 165コ at the 245コ-260コ range? I know every piece of meat is different, just looking for approximates.

Thanks in advance!
DC

Don, if I recall correctly about 2.5 hours. You could certainly go with a higher heat to speed up the process, especially since it's braising in liquide for the remainder of the cook, unlike typical shredded beef.

Don Cash
10-06-2009, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
Don, if I recall correctly about 2.5 hours. You could certainly go with a higher heat to speed up the process
The way that looks, no way I'm altering your recipe! I'll plan on 6 hours.

Thanks!!

Cliff Parham
11-04-2009, 04:28 AM
Larry, a spectacular recipe!! My wife had "seconds" and I have never seen that before with any food. Could not find a hard roll (unreal), so we used a french Batard loaf - sliced off 4" and we were off and running. Thanks for the pleasurable experience!

Larry Wolfe
11-04-2009, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by Cliff Parham:
Larry, a spectacular recipe!! My wife had "seconds" and I have never seen that before with any food. Could not find a hard roll (unreal), so we used a french Batard loaf - sliced off 4" and we were off and running. Thanks for the pleasurable experience!

Glad you and your wife enjoyed it!!

P.Schaff
11-21-2009, 04:05 PM
Larry,

I'm doing this recipe right now and am currently in the finishing in the oven stage. I had the thermometer in the meat and noticed that it hit 200 degrees fairly quickly (in about an hour). I thought 200 was when beef needed to be pulled but it's still a little tough. It's been about 2.5 hours since I put it in the oven and am wondering how much longer I should go. I just checked and the middle of the roast is not "pull worthy". The outer edges were ready to be pulled but the middle just wasn't there yet. I am assuming I'll just need to let it go for another 45mins or so..

Any tips are appreciated! It smells incredible in here!

Thanks,
Pat

Larry Wolfe
11-22-2009, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by P.Schaff:
Larry,

I'm doing this recipe right now and am currently in the finishing in the oven stage. I had the thermometer in the meat and noticed that it hit 200 degrees fairly quickly (in about an hour). I thought 200 was when beef needed to be pulled but it's still a little tough. It's been about 2.5 hours since I put it in the oven and am wondering how much longer I should go. I just checked and the middle of the roast is not "pull worthy". The outer edges were ready to be pulled but the middle just wasn't there yet. I am assuming I'll just need to let it go for another 45mins or so..

Any tips are appreciated! It smells incredible in here!

Thanks,
Pat

Pat, sorry I didn't see this until today, so obviously I'm too late. But with chucks, you really need to just cook until you can insert a fork and twist them like spaghetti. Generally you can start checking around 195コ-200コ but they're not done until they're tender and they can be stubborn!!

How did it turn out?

P.Schaff
11-22-2009, 07:09 AM
Larry it turned out GREAT! I gave it another hour or so and then the meat pulled beautifully. You're right, some pieces of meat are just more stubborn than others and I think I had a particularly fiesty one this time around.

Sorry no pictures this time, camera battery was drained. I particularly enjoyed the spice level, as I like things to have a good kick. For those that don't enjoy heavy heat they might think about removing the seeds from the jalapenos, but that's the only comment I have on this wonderful dish.

leif gabrielsen
01-11-2010, 07:35 AM
this recipe is so GOOD. i seeded the jalapenos otherwise to the tee. big hit with the whole family. even my 2 and 4 yr olds loved it.
thank you Larry Wolfe for sharing.
Leif

dwayne e
02-22-2010, 08:49 AM
How much fat is left in the chuck roast using this method?.........do you kind of pull it on top of the veggie mix, weeding out the unsavory bits before mixing it up?...........I just bought a couple chuckies and I'm dying to try this out!!!

Frank S
07-19-2010, 04:34 AM
Hi Larry,

Since first seeing this recipe months ago, I have been anxious to give it a try. I finally got around to it this past Saturday.

Found a nice 4 lb. roast at the local Publix. I tried to follow your recipe as closely as possible. My only deviation was the jalapenos. I forgot to get them so I substituted some homemade habanero hot sauce.

I used my Performer to smoke the roast. I also used one small chunk of hickory for smoke. It took about 2 1/2 hours to reach 165 degrees internal. I then transferred the roast to the pan of vegetables and into a 350 oven for 3 hours.

Wow!! It was delicious. We ate it like a pot roast rather than on sandwiches. This recipe is definitely a keeper

I wish that I had taken photos. Thank you for this recipe.

Mike Freeman
10-16-2010, 04:03 PM
Larry, This dish in incredible. Thank you for posting and keep thinking up good stuff like this!

Tim L.
10-19-2010, 09:53 AM
Looks superb Larry. Definitely one I will try...soon!

Quick question..ok, make that two, another one popped in my head...

1- I've noticed in your pics that you have all the fuel over in one corner of your grill, but it doesn't appear to be burned down when you start your cook. You may have addressed this once, but can you describe your method for heat?

2- Have you ever deviated from this recipe at all? Maybe tried habaneros, or red bell peppers, etc? Or maybe marinated the meat for a while first?

Thanks!

Dan Krause
10-23-2010, 09:27 AM
Thank you for this recipe. I showed this recipe to my wife... this is now my next cook.

Vince B
10-24-2010, 11:41 AM
Thanks for posting this one Larry. I made it here for the first time this weekend. http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums?a=...591045495#4591045495 (http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=98110183&f=1780069052&m=2281044495&r=4591045495#4591045495)

My first impression was it was a bit spicy however with the left overs the heat seemed to mellow some! I did seed the peppers and only used two. None the less this one was a winner! Thanks again brother! Vince B

BTW your skins look a little better this year!

Bill S.
11-05-2010, 07:15 PM
Going to be doing this tomorrow. Still debating whether or not to use wood. Going to go with bunches of green onions (love em') instead of red, and red peppers instead of green, and changing from beer to broth. I'll see how she goes. I'm not crazy for chuck as pot roast, I'll see if I like it this way. I've never bought it before my wife always does, I was surprised to see it cost the same as brisket per pound.

Brian Zimmerman
11-12-2010, 02:32 PM
Doing this one right now, but am not doing on charcoal. It should still come out good.

Scott Guerber.
11-13-2010, 08:05 PM
Made this yesterday and it turned out awesome. Thanks Larry for the great recipe! Huge hit at my house. Leftovers are great in eggs.

Thanks again!

Chris E
11-14-2010, 05:56 AM
Any guestimates on how long it takes to get the chuck up to 165 on the grill ? I'm guessing 1.5 hours ? Thanks. Putting it on now...

Scott Guerber.
11-14-2010, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by Chris E:
Any guestimates on how long it takes to get the chuck up to 165 on the grill ? I'm guessing 1.5 hours ? Thanks. Putting it on now...

For some reason mine took about 2.5-3 hours to get to 165 on the smoker at 250 degrees. In the beginning the temps were flying up but then plateaud in the 150's.

I would set aside at least 6 hours for this. Don't rush it and it turns out awesome!

Chris E
11-14-2010, 09:03 AM
Thanks. I'm pushing 2 hrs now and I'm at 145. Wanted to be eating by the 2pm game. I'll give another 40 min and probably throw it in the oven and just cook it a little longer.

Chris E
11-14-2010, 03:39 PM
Came out great. I'll allow more time to smoke the chuck next time. I only used one jalapeno since my wife can't do spicy. There is definitely some jalapeno flavor and a tiny nip but definitely not hot. Guiness flavor is awseome.

M Krulee
11-15-2010, 06:24 AM
I just made this dish on Sun for the 9'r game. The only changes for us (kids eating) i only used one Jalapeno and less pepper/salt. I will increase the salt next time. It was lengthy cook - meat on at about noon and foiled around 2:45 at exactly 160 (280 kettle temp).

My biggest issue using the kettle is putting on too much fuel. When i start and refuel I put a chimney full and the temp spikes to 450 (of course!!) so i have to close it all down and let temps reduce...have to try a little less fuel or maybe finish it off on the gasser...

Anyway, left in foil till about 5:30 then shredded and back on uncovered for another 25 min while we baked the rolls.

My wife is not a big BBQ fan http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif and has not always been fully appreciative of my new hobby. However she gave this dish a definate two thumbs up. Even the kids enjoyed it.

A delicious dish Mr. Wolfe! One that i can't wait to share. Thank you very much!!

Chris E
11-16-2010, 05:52 PM
I did mine Saturday on the 22.5 OTG Kettle. I piled up the left over charcoal from previous cook on one side (about 1/3 chimney). Then I lit about 10 briquets in the chimney and dumped them on top of the unlit pile. I set the bottom vent open about 25% and the top vent open full. When the temp hit 250 in about 10 min I closed the top vent to 50% and that garage sale kettle chugged right along at around 260 for 2.5 hours.

Warning !! My wife HATED this dish since she doesn't like beer and the beef really picks up the stout flavor. I might try it with a little chianti next time.

But my son and I at until we were full and took it for lunch the next day. We loved it!!

Tom Raveret
11-30-2010, 07:01 PM
There you go again Larry...scrolling through the grilling forum i stumbled a upon this and made it on Sunday...Simply wonderful. couldn"t find stout but used Guniess Draught instead (tell me if theres much of a difference I'm not a beer guy)

I even used a chuckeye roast I found in the freezer that was almost 2 years old and it still was wonderful1!! Great freezer cleanout recipe.

Anyways what a way to get over the I can't take any more turkey blues...

Scott Dace
12-24-2010, 11:03 AM
When I first made this dish my wife crinkled her nose because of the onions. We have been together for 20 years and she never would let me cook with onions, every dish I made, I would have to make an onion free one. Well I finally got beligerant and put my foot down! The smell of it cooking was enough to sway her. **** if I thought it was going to be that easy I would have made this years ago! Jim, I have to say this is one of the best dish's I've ever had. I made it today for Christmas eve by request (from my wife). Have a Merry Christmas Jim and if ever a boy deserved a toy from Santa, it's you.

Jerry B
12-27-2010, 09:25 AM
Made this yesterday with company in town and was a huge hit!

Thanks!

Rob W
01-15-2011, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by Bill S.:
Going to be doing this tomorrow. Still debating whether or not to use wood. Going to go with bunches of green onions (love em') instead of red, and red peppers instead of green, and changing from beer to broth. I'll see how she goes. I'm not crazy for chuck as pot roast, I'll see if I like it this way. I've never bought it before my wife always does, I was surprised to see it cost the same as brisket per pound.

How did it turn out with the Broth in stead of the Beer? My wife is not a huge fan of the guiness. I can drink it all day.

Bob Sample
01-15-2011, 01:00 PM
Any one cooking this and finding the beer flavour to much should try it with a different beer. Instead of a stout beer try a honey brown or a wheat beer.

M Krulee
01-29-2011, 06:21 AM
bob - i too found it a little strong. ok for me but my youngest wasn't too crazy about it. i'll try your suggestion of a lighter beer. i did do this recently without the beer - used a really good beef stock that i made - not really a pepper stout dish anymore but it still tasted really, really good. we served it with some coleslaw and my wife made some homemade dinner rolls that are out of this world! here are a couple of pics - didn't get the ones at the end showing the finished product - too busy getting it together and then eating...

modified pepper beef (http://s808.photobucket.com/albums/zz1/mwkbbq/pepper%20stout%20beef/)

Robert Clark
02-05-2011, 12:04 AM
Need advice on doing this recipe with venison roasts.

What internal temp should I add the roast to the liquid?

Do you think it will shred properly?

Tim L.
02-18-2011, 08:55 AM
Someone inquired about Draught v Stout....Guinness Draught (pronounced draft)indicates that the beer was stored under pressure in a cask or keg (traditionally). Guinness has that draught bottle with the ball in it that is supposed to somehow replicate the effect of being in a keg. Also, I think the word "draught" is used pretty loosely. Stout on the other hand is the type of beer that Guinness is. There are many different brands of stout; Guinness is just one of them. Stout, is also really just a type of porter, generally speaking a "strong" porter.

In terms of an alternate beer, I would avoid using any of the "light" beers. I don't think they'd add any flavor, at least not any good flavor. Not sure what value they'd add other than simply being a liquid. I've used Negro Modelo with a lot of success and think that might go over better with those folks that don't like Guinness.

At the same time, if you try it with Miller High Life Light and like it, stick with it. Just doesnt' sound very good to me.

Mike Gray
02-28-2011, 06:08 AM
Originally posted by M Krulee:
bob - i too found it a little strong. ok for me but my youngest wasn't too crazy about it. i'll try your suggestion of a lighter beer. i did do this recently without the beer - used a really good beef stock that i made - not really a pepper stout dish anymore but it still tasted really, really good. we served it with some coleslaw and my wife made some homemade dinner rolls that are out of this world! ]

This is going to be my next cook! How did you make the stock that you used? My wife is not a beer drinker and I need to remove that from the recipe.

M Krulee
02-28-2011, 06:50 AM
Mike - here's the
Beef Broth (http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_make_beef_stock/). It's kind of time consuming but not hard and if you do it on a day when you're goofing off around the house anyway it's not that bad. Browning (not charring) in the oven is the key - adds lots of flavor. it's really tasty. i might add that i like messing around in the kitchen anyway so this was actually a fun process for me.

side note - i saw a french onion soup recipe on this forum somewhere that looked great. I will use this broth for that as well (if i can find the soup again!)

enjoy.

Jeff Boudman
04-02-2011, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by dwayne e:
How much fat is left in the chuck roast using this method?.........do you kind of pull it on top of the veggie mix, weeding out the unsavory bits before mixing it up?...........I just bought a couple chuckies and I'm dying to try this out!!!

Harris Teeter has boneless Angus Chucks on sale and I'm cooking this right now. I find the leanest roast available and the fat renders out. I pull from the grill at the 155' range and foil with broth with fresh minced garlic and dried onion. Bake it foiled for 2 hrs. and it will be ready to slice. I bake some foiled red onions in the broth. Larry's way is best but my family likes it sliced with optional toppings.

George Campbell
05-19-2011, 12:51 PM
WOW Larry you did it again. Made this up yesterday with only one change, used beef broth not stout (don't like the taste of stout). The wife and I can't get enought of this beef mixture. She already wants me to make it again. Larry, got to say, we've tried several of your recipes and they have all been keepers.

Chris Bjork
07-24-2011, 06:00 AM
Did a modified version of it yesterday. My only suggestions to add are to go heavy on the seasoning, wait until you think your about an hour away from finishing the roasts before you put in the pan. I did about 2 hours covered and 45min to reduce the beer and the veggies had turned to mush. Had to add more seasoning to the mix as it was pretty bland out of the pan.

Otherwise it was pretty freaking awesome stuff. Will def be doing this again.

KirkD
07-24-2011, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by Chris Bjork:
Did a modified version of it yesterday. My only suggestions to add are to go heavy on the seasoning, wait until you think your about an hour away from finishing the roasts before you put in the pan. I did about 2 hours covered and 45min to reduce the beer and the veggies had turned to mush. Had to add more seasoning to the mix as it was pretty bland out of the pan.

Otherwise it was pretty freaking awesome stuff. Will def be doing this again.

We added a quart of beef broth instead of beer on our last cook. Added a lot of flavor.

Chad_M
07-28-2011, 03:38 PM
this looks like a good one to try this fall for a football game.

chad

SteveF (Alpine)
08-20-2011, 04:30 PM
I'm taking this on right now, such a beautiful recipe. I did run into a little hiccough though, went to the store to pick up a chuck roast but they were $6/pound. Decided to pull one I had in the deep freeze out instead, so I知 a little behind. Here痴 what I知 gonna do a little different and report back on: First, I知 gonna try running at about 375 from the start (hopefully make up for lost time). Second, I知 roasting the green peppers first since I like the smoky flavor and I知 not partial to the skins. Lastly, I知 using a little hickory and apple smokewood.

I am staying true the Guinness though, nectar of the gods to all you naysayers

Update:
I went with 3 small yellow onions, 3 roasted bell peppers and 3 jalapenos. Now to me, jalapenos are the most unpredictable of the chiles, sometimes like a bell, sometimes hotter than a serano. These were hot, so for me just about perfect, but could easily be too hot for some with sensitive palates.

I started at 375-400, but to no avail. It still took over 2 hours to come up to temp (first time I've used the 26 indirect and could have been a little too indirect).

I followed through but needless to say, it didn't end up being dinner. Sooooo for lunch the next day, I made a heaping sandwich with rustic bread and fontina, just awesome.

PeteH
08-24-2011, 08:04 AM
I tried this on Sunday after an overnight pork shoulder smoke (gotta love the WSM). Had about a 5# roast, so upped the onions and peppers a little, but otherwise just like the recipe and directions. I really enjoyed this and will definitely be doing this again. I knew the kids wouldn't go for it with the jalapenos, but they had fresh pulled pork and my wife and I had spicy fresh pulled beef.

This is for sure a keeper - another great TVWBB find! Thanks Larry (wherever you are)!

Peter

Wayne_R
10-16-2011, 01:07 PM
I made this for a poker tourney I had yesterday. I figured 4 1bs would be enough and have leftovers....wrongo. We killed that in nothing flat. Excellent and a big hit, you must try this!!

Ron G.
10-17-2011, 05:45 AM
Tried this recipe this weekend.

Got a nice, lean chuckie (tied-up by Meat Market - Bunzel's).

One modification - used Poblano peppers in place of the Green Bell peppers. They were just a touch bitter, but the flavor in the end was great.

I used Red Onion - sliced THICK (also chopped the peppers into large chunks, this kept it from cooking-down into mush).

Having left-overs for lunch at work today!

Chad_M
11-21-2011, 05:25 AM
Tried this yesterday. It was fantastic. I didn't use any hot peppers since kids were going to eat it too - they loved it also.

I cooked it on the 22" charcoal indirect for about 2 hours, rotating it and/or flipping it about every 30 minutes to exposed all sides to the hot end of the zone. I also used 2 small chunks of apple wood, just right - you could get a hint of smoke.

When it was time for the oven, I used 375 to speed it along since I had a deadline for dinner, stirring it once to keep peppers from browning too much.

http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Chad

Travis D
12-12-2011, 05:34 PM
Great recipe Larry.
Made this for the first time on Saturday. My wife liked it so much we had leftovers for dinner Sunday.

Jim Lampe
12-13-2011, 02:33 PM
a GREAT recipe, this is my "take along dish" this Christmas. http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
A winner EVERY time!

Timothy Hoffman
01-20-2012, 12:06 PM
How the heck did I miss this one? http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Making it right now, unfortunately in the oven. Too windy with the blowing snow until I get a shelter/wind break built.

Nathan Sleyster
01-22-2012, 04:52 PM
Made this today and I have to say, the recipe is awesome. The combination of the stout and Worcestershire with the smokey flavor is killer. Wife said it was too hot, even though I only used 2 jalapenos. Next time, I will use mushrooms instead.

dwayne e
01-23-2012, 07:39 AM
I did this yesterday for the game.

I used about a half a Woodchuck Cider instead of the stout and I used a very large red bell pepper instead of the jalapenos (my wife likes sweet instead of hot).

Thanks again to Larry for this recipe. It was OUTSTANDING!!

Tom (Gunner)
01-23-2012, 10:32 AM
I made this yesterday for the games as well...Honestly both the wife and I didn't like the smoke flavor in the dish...I only used 1 chunk of hickory, but it was too much..it overpowered the dish. Also, I didn't like the mushy veg and the chuck was really fatty..I want to try making it with top round or bottom round next. Is it possible to cook the bottom round till almost fork tender on the grill then add it to the pan and cook in the oven for only an hour or so, so the veg is a bit less mushy? Do you think that would work? What temp would I need to bring the meat up to? 190 like a pork butt instead of taking it off at 165? Any suggestions?

Richard Marquez
02-12-2012, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Tom (Gunner):
I made this yesterday for the games as well...Honestly both the wife and I didn't like the smoke flavor in the dish...I only used 1 chunk of hickory, but it was too much..it overpowered the dish. Also, I didn't like the mushy veg and the chuck was really fatty..I want to try making it with top round or bottom round next. Is it possible to cook the bottom round till almost fork tender on the grill then add it to the pan and cook in the oven for only an hour or so, so the veg is a bit less mushy? Do you think that would work? What temp would I need to bring the meat up to? 190 like a pork butt instead of taking it off at 165? Any suggestions?

That's exactly what I did and I'd like to think it made a difference. I went more time on the smoker with the heat cranked up once I reached 165 internal and less time in the oven (about an hour or so). It was wasn't mushy at all. Also not "fatty", thankfully. Odd that only one chunk of hickory had that (overpowering) effect .

Keith Kenney
02-19-2012, 09:24 AM
I am trying this one today. Was not sure of Guinness never had it before so I am drinking one right now. Ok flavor not a real big beer person. I only drink when I grill http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif But I am going to follow the recipe.

Matt A
02-19-2012, 10:05 AM
I have this one on today as well. Cutting down on the jalapenos but otherwise following the recipe. Had some issues with reusing old charcoal though and it's costing me some time trying to get it to 165 on the grill, so may have to switch to the oven sooner than planned.

Keith Kenney
02-19-2012, 10:13 AM
Mine is coming off the grill right now then into the oven. it smell good

Chad_M
04-03-2012, 05:15 PM
Made this again during the winter with some big jalepenos - it was even better than the first time.

I will be making it again in 1.5 weeks.

Chad

Rolf Jacobsen
05-13-2012, 04:05 PM
Larry I can't begin to thank you enough. We made it Saturday and everyone loved it!

http://rolf-j.smugmug.com/Other/Temporary/i-VhsSMkS/0/L/Chuck1-012-L.jpg

Jeff Sch.
05-24-2012, 09:47 AM
Used this recipe last weekend, with one subtle change - I used Stone Smoked Porter for the beer component, as I've found that it pairs better with BBQ in general and beef in particular. Results were phenomenal, what a great recipe.

Stefan B
06-19-2012, 06:20 PM
Going to finally pull the trigger on making this on Saturday.
Couple questions:
Is a 4lb roast enough for 7 adults?
What are peoples go-to sides with this?

Stefan B
06-22-2012, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by Stefan B:
Going to finally pull the trigger on making this on Saturday.
Couple questions:
Is a 4lb roast enough for 7 adults?
What are peoples go-to sides with this?

Anyone http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Mike Gray
06-22-2012, 09:14 AM
I made a 4lb roast and had more than enough for 7 people. I made the 4lb roast per the recipe and another 2.5 pound roast with beef stock instead of stout beer which my wife didn't like. I liked the recipe with Guinness Extra Stout as the beer.

We ended up with a lot left over with 5 adults eating from the 4lb and froze some of the 2.5 pound one.

As for sides, we kept is simple with coleslaw and had a couple of other sides which I honestly can't remember.

Matt A
06-22-2012, 09:21 AM
As long as you have plenty of sides/other dishes I would think half a pound per adult should be fine.

Stefan B
06-22-2012, 09:26 AM
Great, thx.

DennisM
07-07-2012, 07:22 AM
Been eying this recipe for months, and finally made it on July 4th. Well it was excellent. Used a Guiness Draught (with the widget in the can) Not sure if the bottle or the can matter..but it was really good. The jalapenos lended a nice spice I enjoyed!

Gabe S
07-08-2012, 03:01 AM
I've got to try this.

On the beer. The original recipe is for G Foreign Extra Stout. Some have asked if this is the same as the Draught Stout. They are slightly different. The flavor profile (roasted barley) is similar. The draught is a smaller (less alcohol, lighter body) beer. Think of the draught as the one you'd choose if you're going to drink more than one. I doubt it will noticably impact the recipe as the flavors are similar.

Travis Smith
07-11-2012, 10:58 AM
I tried this, and overall I thought it turned out great. My only complaint (and this could be error on my part) was that the liquid left in with the beef and veggies was really fatty. I didn't think it was a very fatty piece of meat when I started.

Anyone experienced similar? Or have any tips on how to avoid?

Jim Lampe
07-11-2012, 11:49 AM
Gabe, using Draught Stout will be fine.
I just made this dish (http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2871078595/m/8611010046) Monday and it was awesome!
Travis, did you continue to cook it after shredding the beef? Doing so reduces the liquid and seems to thicken the dish.
With over (at least) a dozen cooks, I haven't run into the problem you've stated... http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

timothy
07-15-2012, 11:00 AM
Travis.
Ive never made this but I do something similar for a Chicago style pulled beef.
Get a gravy/fat seperator. Drain the liquid to that and add enough to moisten. I like a lot of jus/gravy with mine, makes a great gravy bread sammy (wet) and helps keep the left-overs moist.

Tim

Joshua Banas
07-16-2012, 06:27 AM
I am new to this community, and this is the first recipe that I have used from it, and wow am I happy I did. This pulled beef was amazing! It took me a total of 7 hours from the time I put it on the smoker, to the time we were sitting at the table. My family loved it so much, I may be making it again next weekend. (Thank God for Kroger's buy 1 get 1 free roast sale!) I did put 1 chunk of wood with my charcoal, which was barely noticeable. Next time I plan to use more salt when I season it, I think it would have brought even more flavors out. I am very impressed and cannot wait to make this one again.

Alan F
08-07-2012, 05:29 PM
This is good; but even at two jalapenos (with seeds) it was so spicy the flavor was overwhelmed by heat. I'll either cut back to one or maybe forgo the jalapenos and use black pepper instead.

Van
10-07-2012, 01:20 PM
Hey Larry, Thanks!!!!
This could be my next cook out!

Len Dennis
10-08-2012, 08:59 AM
Weird. Link to the recipe worked yesterday but it's a '404' today.

Dave Russell
10-13-2012, 05:22 PM
Well, better late than never. This stuff is the bomb.

The only things I did differently was to remove the seeds from the jalapenos and use some smoke wood. I cooked faster too, but that's the biggest tip I can give. Most folks can't believe how long chuckies can take to get really tender, and that's what you want. I smoked for THREE hrs. at 275-300* and then braised for TWO AND A HALF hrs. more in the oven at 375*. One weighed almost three and the other almost four, and the smaller one was braised with beef stock, not the Guinness Stout. My wife hates beer and we both liked the one cooked with the Stout better. Sub buns were toasted a bit to melt a slice of provolone or pepper jack, and then piled on really high. I really can't say enough about this recipe. Did I say it was really good?!

Dave Russell
10-13-2012, 07:02 PM
Oh yeah. Good thing I don't live in Texas. The wife and I both like this a lot better than brisket.

Jim Lampe
10-14-2012, 09:49 AM
awesome stuff, ain't it dave...?! ;)
i have a 3 pounder on right now, going on about two hours now. L♥VE this stuff!

Gene Brownson
10-14-2012, 11:36 AM
Larry, you are the man! Morgan forwarded me your recipe on a thread that looked just like this. I saved it in my recipe folder. My first one though was a little different spin, it was Italian style and all my wife and I could say was AALLL SUMMMM!!!:) We loved it to say the least. Thanks so much for sharing. We will be doing this quite often AND THANK YOU MORGAN!! for sending me this.

Dave Russell
10-14-2012, 02:28 PM
awesome stuff, ain't it dave...?! ;)
i have a 3 pounder on right now, going on about two hours now. L♥VE this stuff!

Yep, it's very cool when a recipe ends up being head and shoulders above what you expected. :)

Jim McKelvey
11-19-2012, 10:07 AM
hello everyone - I've done a few chuck roasts with varying degrees of success. This weekend I finally had the time and all the ingredients for the "true to recipe" version of PSB. All I can say is - WOW. Great stuff!!!

Robert D
01-10-2013, 11:22 AM
For some reason i find it very hard to find chuck roasts around me. I have seen something like "Shoulder Chuck" roast. Is this the same thing?

Chris Allingham
01-10-2013, 09:20 PM
Yes, chuck is from the shoulder of the cow.

Regards,
Chris

Robert D
01-11-2013, 12:18 PM
thanks Chris!

DavidW
01-30-2013, 09:41 AM
I know I'm late to the party for this but I have to chime in:

THIS WAS AMAZING!

Thank you for sharing the recipe. I can't wait to make it again.

Laura D
01-30-2013, 11:25 PM
It's on my list of to do things! I'm hoping to make it while it is still cold out (well, what passes for cold in the Bay Area).

Anybody have another way to eat it besides on a roll?

Glad you made it and it was delicious. Can't wait to try it soon.

Laura

Laura

JimK
01-31-2013, 12:50 PM
Anybody have another way to eat it besides on a roll?

Try it over some rice, Laura.

Marc
02-02-2013, 11:01 AM
Laura, It's great over some mashed potatoes!

Bob Miller
02-16-2013, 07:27 AM
I gave this a quick go 3 nights ago. Used Top Round and tried to shorten the cook time. I also added in 3 small chunks of hickory. By using a leaner cut and trying to speed the cook time I got what I expected, a tough chunk of beef. I sliced it super thin and despite it being a bit tough it was delicious. My wife devoured a sandwich in no time flat and I took the leftovers to my team's planning session the next day. BBQ= good way to make new friends at the office.

Next tim I'll plan ahead, I came across this PSB and within 30 minutes I was at the store, back home and smoking. Finding the right cut and having enough time are key

Dan Godwin
02-16-2013, 09:58 AM
Just tossed a 3.5lb chuck roast on the wsm. Don't have any Stouts in the house, so I either need to run to the store, or just use what's in the house. Looking forward to an awesome dinner tonight!

Chip D.
02-25-2013, 08:20 PM
Made this for first time yesterday. Very tasty, but way to hot for my family. Will be cutting the jalapenos next time.

Dave Russell
03-05-2013, 09:54 AM
Made this for first time yesterday. Very tasty, but way to hot for my family. Will be cutting the jalapenos next time.

Don't cut the jalapenos! Just cut seeds and the light colored membrane. That's where the heat is!

Dave Khoe
03-25-2013, 04:33 PM
Don't cut the jalapenos! Just cut seeds and the light colored membrane. That's where the heat is!

Just made this for the forth time. Great as usual. My wife thinks it is too hot for her so I did two batches, one regular and one with the seeds and membranes of the jalapenos out. Put part of a yellow pepper in so I could tell them apart. Came out perfect heat for her. My son and I love it full strength. We can always spice up her batch when we run out of ours. This is my go to smoker meal now.

Jim McKelvey
05-11-2013, 04:24 PM
Just did my (lost count) PSB. Thank you Larry...that is all.

russ olin
07-14-2013, 07:37 PM
This recipe was on our want to do list. Here it is going on the smoker early this morning.http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag115/debbyolin/IMG_0524_zps63fd22bd.jpg (http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/debbyolin/media/IMG_0524_zps63fd22bd.jpg.html)

russ olin
07-14-2013, 07:40 PM
After 61/2 hrs on the smoker ready to go in with the veggieshttp://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag115/debbyolin/IMG_0526_zps351c81fe.jpg (http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/debbyolin/media/IMG_0526_zps351c81fe.jpg.html)

russ olin
07-14-2013, 07:43 PM
Shredded it all up and back into the smoker for about 45 mins,http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag115/debbyolin/IMG_0527_zps8b120b02.jpg (http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/debbyolin/media/IMG_0527_zps8b120b02.jpg.html)

Dean V
08-31-2013, 09:09 AM
Ok. Going to try this tomorrow but I need an idea of how many people this thing will feed. So, how many?

Jason H
09-03-2013, 07:24 AM
Made this for the first time, wow! It was fantastic.

david brociner
11-16-2013, 09:11 PM
Made this today, maybe the last great weekend of 2013 here in NJ. Started in the 18.5" WSM. took the beef to 155 before the stall then finished in the slow cooker. Cut down on the jalepenos because of the kids but it was a big hit. One question: just how does someone get banned from this website? What could you possibly do? I'd love to know.

Dave Bethke
12-09-2013, 06:59 AM
I didn't get past the pictures before I decided to make this, bought a #2 roast and cut back on the ingredients. I should have read some reviews so I could have cut back on the heat. WOW it turned out really hot, I had to add some sugar to cut it.
I'll give it another try sometime.

Dave

Tim O
12-30-2013, 01:25 PM
Anyone adapt this for shredded beef tacos? Would love some recipe tips!

Clint
01-06-2014, 12:14 AM
works great in Tacos, just make sure it's drained well. Perfect for shredded beef anything really IMO.

BrianBishop
01-22-2014, 04:49 PM
I picked up a few chuck roasts value packs today on a "one day meat stock up sale" for $2.99/#. I'm hoping the weather improves for super bowl weekend so I can attempt my first PSB cook. I've been drooling over this post since I joined, I cant believe I haven't made it yet.

Mike Parrish
10-01-2014, 07:18 PM
I don't post much but have been here for ten years and just have to say that I have made this several times and have always been amazed at the results. Footnote: it is the chefs responsibility to determine the "hotness" of the jalapenos. This will determine whether or not to add or subtract individual peppers.

Michael A
10-19-2014, 11:30 AM
Do you ever feel like you get more credit than you deserve? If coping in these situations is difficult for you, then I would not suggest this recipe :)

It's that good, and that easy. I made this for family who was in town, and everyone loved it.

This is absolutely one of my favorites.

Clint
03-24-2016, 07:50 PM
I picked up a >4.5# chuck today, I'm planning to cook PSB this weekend I think.

I got extra Jalapenos, might even try a hab in there. I'm going to use a Cutthroat Pale Ale (http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1416/3805/) (one of my favorites) 'cause that's "more of a stout" imho than Guiness :)

I love the Cutthroat in Barb's onion rings, I'm betting it'll be good in this.

Dan C. FL
08-08-2017, 05:30 PM
I bookmarked this page. I just might have to do this this weekend.

John Jeffries
09-23-2017, 02:55 PM
I have made this one numerous times - there's a reason it's a 'stickied thread' :) My wife is not much of a BBQ girl, which may be her only shortcoming, but even she digs this one. Highly recommend. Don't be afraid to chop up a few extra Jalapenos in this one...

And I wanted to echo Clint's comment. The beer you use makes a difference. I've even done this with a great IPA. I don't think you can go wrong, but if you're going to go to the trouble to make this, I would definitely suggest you go to your local beer vendor and pick out something special.