Storing ET732 or other similar digital thermometers question?

Jason Smart

TVWBB Member
Simply put.....How do you store yours? I fully expected to find a soft case or something by Maverick or somebody to put the two units and the probes in when not in use.

Besides the universal carry-all, the Crown Royal purple bag
icon_biggrin.gif
, how do you store yours and is there a case I am not finding? I really don't want to have to keep putting it in this box and I'd like some protection when traveling back and forth to the deer lease or camping somewhere.

I was cleaning out the garage the other day and came across a no longer used two drawer tool chest. I cleaned it up really well, put some anti-skid stuff in the drawers and am using it to store Thermapens, spoons, and other similar devices to unclutter my knife bag.
Maybe a small tackle box would work?

Mine are in large ziplock bags, in the cabinet over the microwave (which itself is over the stove). That cabinet is too small and too high for my wife to use for anything, so it holds my thermometers, plus all the owner's manuals for the appliances.

I too have an old cheepy tool chest on casters in my garage for all my bbq stuff. It has a top cabinet with 3 long and 3 short drawers and a bottom with 2 deep drawers and a open storage area under it.

I just keep mine on a top shelf in a cabinet in the kitchen - high enough that my wife will not accidentally bother it.

Like the idea of a "case" for it.

Ray

Originally posted by Ray Crick:
I just keep mine on a top shelf in a cabinet in the kitchen - high enough that my wife will not accidentally bother it.

Like the idea of a "case" for it.

Ray

Just in the box in the cabinet above the fridge. PITA taking it out and putting it in when done.

I like the idea of a case for it
icon_biggrin.gif

Maybe an old shaving kit bag that zips up?

I'm not so nice. I have a small cooler that I just throw everything in when I'm done cooking and sort it out the next time I cook. My guru with all it's assorted wires and fans, my spare thermapen, and the remote thermometers, into the cooler!

All my rubs and spices are in another one...

I made myself a cabinet from black walnut that I mounted to the outside wall of my house near where I grill and smoke. It's fairly protected (though not from blown rain) and I used and TWP exterior deck penetrating oil finish to seal somewhat. The cabinet has custom space for my tools, gloves, skewers and the Maverick in it's velour pouch.

This has worked out very well and makes my whole grilling/smoking experience a lot more pleasant.

A couple of pics are here:
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp...itle=cabinet&cat=500

I roll the WSM out beside the grill when in use.

Rich

Originally posted by RichPB (richlife):
I made myself a cabinet from black walnut that I mounted to the outside wall of my house near where I grill and smoke.
Beautiful work, Rich.

luckily i had two different items that worked and found both helpful in protecting and carrying the unit.
first, i had an old sterilite plastic shoebox, that was never used, that i found when moving some things around a few months back. gave it a cleaning to get rid of the dust and i was content. that is until i came across an old cedar cigar box that i had leftover from a recent bachelor party. i started to use it over the sterilite shoebox because it was a little more compact and the maverick and probes just fit in there better. and at the same time it kind of goes hand in hand with "smoking" LOL.

we have some local discount cigar and smoke shops and they usually have the leftover cigar boxes up for sale in their humidors. around here they run $3-$10 depending on their size.
sterilite shoebox can be found at any wal-mart or target for a few bucks.

hope that helps.

Originally posted by Jason Smart:
Very nice Rich, but I may have a hard time taking that to the deer lease or camping..
icon_wink.gif

Hmm... I had forgotten that detail.
icon_smile.gif

But I'll tell you, fit a French hook to a backpack frame and you can easily load the whole thing.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Rich

I use a Pelican waterproof case with foam-padded interior for all of my BBQ electronics (BBQ Guru, iGrill, Mavericks, Thermapens). The cases are a bit pricey, but it beats damaging and replacing the "toys."

Originally posted by Joshua_Rogers:
I use a Pelican waterproof case with foam-padded interior for all of my BBQ electronics (BBQ Guru, iGrill, Mavericks, Thermapens). The cases are a bit pricey, but it beats damaging and replacing the "toys."

I think I am going to go this route with the foam. For a $60 set of temp gauges what's another $25...

Thanks for the replies folks..

I keep mine in a safety deposit box, wrapped in a chamois cloth, then put in a vacuum-pack plastic bag, and finally a lead lined cherry-wood box made in Switzerland.

Oh, no. That's wrong. I toss it in a drawer with my bear paws and other junk.

Originally posted by Michael G. (Canada Mike):
I keep mine in a safety deposit box, wrapped in a chamois cloth, then put in a vacuum-pack plastic bag, and finally a lead lined cherry-wood box made in Switzerland.

Oh, no. That's wrong. I toss it in a drawer with my bear paws and other junk.

Nice recovery attempt, Mike. But we all know that first option is really what you use.
icon_biggrin.gif
What does it take, 3, 4 days to get ready to smoke?

Rich

I use a toolbox. Cost about $15 at HD.
tooolbox4.jpg

Thermos and other smaller items go on the top insert.
toolbox1.jpg

Larger items like tongs, charcoal starters, injector, gloves, etc go in the main compartment.
toolbox2.jpg

toolbox5.jpg

The outside removable boxes contain spare batteries, needles for the injector, extra bottle opener, etc.
toolbox3.jpg

I have been using this system for over a year now and it really works great. Everything is in one place and very portable. A cooler light on the inside of the lid lets me find things easily in the dark.

Originally posted by ashish debroy:
I use a toolbox. Cost about $15 at HD.
tooolbox4.jpg

Thermos and other smaller items go on the top insert.
toolbox1.jpg

Very niiice!

Larger items like tongs, charcoal starters, injector, gloves, etc go in the main compartment.
toolbox2.jpg

toolbox5.jpg

The outside removable boxes contain spare batteries, needles for the injector, extra bottle opener, etc.
toolbox3.jpg

I have been using this system for over a year now and it really works great. Everything is in one place and very portable. A cooler light on the inside of the lid lets me find things easily in the dark.

Back