Weber Lawsuit? *****

Did anybody else receive an email about a class action lawsuit against Weber?

Here's what I received...

Legal Notice
Chambers v. Weber-Stephen Products LLC
Class Action Case No. 37-2011-00085919-CU-BT-CTL, San Diego Superior Court
A California Superior Court ordered distribution of this Notice in connection with a proposed settlement of
a Class Action. This Notice is not a solicitation.
YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS MAY BE AFFECTED WHETHER YOU ACT OR DON’T ACT.
PLEASE READ THIS NOTICE CAREFULLY
This notice concerns a proposed settlement of a class action lawsuit against Weber-Stephen Products LLC (“Weber”). The lawsuit alleges that Weber violated the law by designating Weber grills and certain accessories as “Made in USA.” Weber believes that because all Weber grills and the disputed accessories are designed and engineered in the USA, and all grills save for one line are manufactured and assembled in the USA using component parts primarily made in the USA, it did nothing wrong and therefore has valid defenses to plaintiff’s claims. The court has not held a trial or ruled in favor of either party on any disputed issues. Weber and the plaintiff have agreed to settle the matter to avoid the costs of continued litigation.
Under the terms of the proposed settlement, the Class Members are all persons who purchased a qualifying Weber Product for end-use from February 15, 2007, through February 15, 2012, which bore the designation “MADE IN USA” on the product and/or product packaging. The Court has certified the lawsuit to proceed as a class action for purposes of settlement.
Under the terms of the proposed settlement, Class Members are eligible to receive a check for $2.00, $5.00, or $9.00, depending on the price they paid for the qualifying Weber product. If the Court approves the proposed settlement, to receive the check, Class Members need only submit a completed Claim Form on-line or by mail. The Claim Form can be found online at www.WeberClassSettlement.com in English or en Español, or you can request to have one mailed to you by calling 1-877-219-9788. Each Class Member will be limited to a maximum of three Claims, and payments are available only to those persons who do not opt out of the proposed settlement. The payment offer expires on April 30, 2012, and is not transferable. Weber has also agreed to a permanent injunction, and, subject to Court approval, to pay the named class representative, Doug Chambers, a one-time fee of $5,000.00 to reimburse his expenses and time. Plaintiff’s Counsel will request up to $995,000.00 for attorney’s fees and costs, which Weber reserves all rights to oppose. The Court may award less than the amounts requested.
What are Class Members’ Options? To ask for cash and stay in the Class, Class Members must submit a Claim Form by April 30, 2012. If a Class Member does not want to participate in the settlement, the Class Member may request exclusion from the Class by June 20, 2012. Class Members may also stay in the Class and object to the settlement by June 20, 2012.
Do not contact the Court. To get additional information about the terms and conditions of the proposed settlement and your options, in English or en Español, please review the Notice of Proposed Settlement of Class Action online at www.WeberClassSettlement.com or call 1-877-219-9788.

I just got mine. I'm not sure where they got my email address. The only thing I can think of is when I donated to this site using Paypal (they used my Paypal email address, not the one I registered here with).

Yep, got one too. I guess ole Doug had nothing better to do than file frivolous lawsuits, whatever
icon_rolleyes.gif

Yeah, I got one at the same email addy I registered my 22.5 WSM under. Weird.

weber can keep my share. probably woulda bought whatever regardless of where it was made. though i think they should use that term more honestly.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lew:
I just got mine. I'm not sure where they got my email address. The only thing I can think of is when I donated to this site using Paypal (they used my Paypal email address, not the one I registered here with). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>There is no connection between this site and Weber. Weber has no access to TVWBB member email addresses, nor to your PayPal email address when making a contribution to TVWBB.

Just want to make that crystal clear.

Regards,]
Chris

although some might call this frivilous, i think this has become an issue. on other sites i go to there are a lot of concerns as companies try to change/insert u.s.a. somewhere on the packaging. they now know there is a backlash occuring and are trying to head it off. otherwise it will get worse and we as consumers will not be able to know for sure where stuff is made. if you break the law, you pay. weber shoulda known better.

I recieved same today. I did notice the vents used to say Made In USA up until 2011 mid year and they went to Designed And Engineered In USA

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
although some might call this frivilous, i think this has become an issue. on other sites i go to there are a lot of concerns as companies try to change/insert u.s.a. somewhere on the packaging. they now know there is a backlash occuring and are trying to head it off. otherwise it will get worse and we as consumers will not be able to know for sure where stuff is made. if you break the law, you pay. weber shoulda known better. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. Obviously I am a weber fan, but they cannot lie. It's plain and simple, made in the USA, or not. I have four big green eggs, they don't try to pretend they are made in the USA, it says made is Mexico on the inside, until it gets covered in grease. Weber should have done the same, I still would have collected too many webers.

I got mine overnight. I'm wondering if they got the e-mail address from Weber themselves. Either from registering grills or signing up for the Weber nation.
Either way,I'm not gonna worry about my $5.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TroyRedington:
oh yay. i qualify for a $5 check

while the lawyer will get $955,000

F U you scummy class action BS lawsuit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+1

I got mine also. I would venture to say that they are sending emails to the people who registered their grill/smoker with weber.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil Perrin:
I got mine overnight. I'm wondering if they got the e-mail address from Weber themselves. Either from registering grills or signing up for the Weber nation.
Either way,I'm not gonna worry about my $5. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That's probably it. I have six Webers registered under that email address. If I get paid for all of them, I can get a couple of bags of Stubbs!

Seriously, I could care less. They did nothing to me and have always been great whenever I called for customer service. It doesn't seem right to stick it to them for a couple of bucks just because you can.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
although some might call this frivilous, i think this has become an issue. on other sites i go to there are a lot of concerns as companies try to change/insert u.s.a. somewhere on the packaging. they now know there is a backlash occuring and are trying to head it off. otherwise it will get worse and we as consumers will not be able to know for sure where stuff is made. if you break the law, you pay. weber shoulda known better. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

do you have any facts, or is this simply speculation?

local news hasn't made any mentioning of the factory that makes weber kettles closing or laying off.

it seems to me the lawsuit is nitpicking about some part (likely the handles and wheels) being made somewhere else.

The info on weber's website has changed to 'The Weber® Summit®, Genesis®, Q®, and charcoal grills are assembled in America using internationally sourced components"
However it's unclear on WHICH parts were made elsewhere.

does the "Made in USA" tag need to have it's requirements standardized? YES

Back