Grilled horse

Mark R-S

TVWBB Fan
I had an equine meal tonight - My local butcher often has horse meat, so I bought a piece of sirloin to try. I've eaten horse meat plenty of times in salami and sausage (and a lot of people have probably done the same without realising) but I don't recall eating horse steak. The meat looked very lean, and a little darker than beef.

This is how it looked sasoned it with a little salt and pepper and grilled.

DSCF5343.JPG

It was extremely tender, and tasted surprisingly similar to beef but with a slightly different component to the flavour which is difficult to describe.

-Mark.

Doesn't look bad at all. My wife was mortified. I will be able to cook more lamb now since I can mention this as a substitute.

I'd probably try it, though I would swear off the stuff if I started counting by banging my foot on the floor.
icon_biggrin.gif

looks good to me. i'd eat it if it was cheap and tasted reasonably close to beef. its a animal folks. ya eat cows don't ya ?

looks good to me. i'd eat it if it was cheap and tasted reasonably close to beef. its a animal folks. ya eat cows don't ya ?

The ethics argument stems from the fact that the standard equipment used to dispatch large animals is designed for cows and doesn't work as "effectively" on horses. The slaughtering process gets a bit sloppy and isn't nearly as "humane." I believe the US has banned commercial slaughtering of horses and most of the operations have moved north of the border.

I'm not sure what the situation is like in your neck of the woods.

I'm neutral on the issue, because of the emotions involved on both sides of the issue, its hard to get straight facts.

I have heard, in italy, bresaola is often made from horse and is delicious

Ahhhhhhh J. Biesinger and Jim Lampe - You two always wade in on the tough ones. lol. This is one of those subjects where nobody is wrong. A couple of years ago I took my Son to East Africa on a 17 day "Picture Safari". At the end of the trip we went to a HUGH resturant called the "Carnivore" in Nairobi, Kenya. Local Masai Warriors waited on the tables with spears on which were mounted different types of meat. The plates were metal and they would drop the tip of the spear on your plate and state what it was they were slicing off with their Machette's. And you had to tell them quick to stop or you would end up with a VERY large portion of whatever it was that that particular man had; Zebra, Cape Buffalo, Water Buck, Eland, Wildebeeste etc. Quite an education of different culinary selections. lol. Surprisingly we found the best meat of all was Zebra, a member of the horse family. I must say the Zebra wasn't my first choice, but after a couple of Scotch's and looking at those spears the selection bacame easier and the Zebra was quite good. lol. And no; I haven't tried any domestic horse since we came home. Bob B
wsmsmile8gm.gif

At the end of the trip we went to a HUGH resturant called the "Carnivore" in Nairobi, Kenya. Local Masai Warriors waited on the tables with spears on which were mounted different types of meat. The plates were metal and they would drop the tip of the spear on your plate and state what it was they were slicing off with their Machette's. And you had to tell them quick to stop or you would end up with a VERY large portion of whatever it was that that particular man had; Zebra, Cape Buffalo, Water Buck, Eland, Wildebeeste etc.

I think I was there once, but I thought it was call the cheesecake factory.

Here is an article from CBC. It is a year and a half old but still along the same lines. It basically backs up what J had mentioned. Horse processing is way up in Canada with the majority of it being sent to Europe and Asia. I also talks about the improper equipment used in the salughtering process.

Having said all that I would still try it one day if presented.

Clark

Wow! Probably the first time horse has been on this board.

Well, I've eaten horse a few times. HAve always enjoyed it. BUT, I can't help but feel a little guilty.

seriously.........I'd probably eat anything but dog or cat..............any if I was starvin', I'd prolly go there too.

a horse is a four-legged animal that eats grass.....except for the inhumane slaughtering issues, I wouldn't have a problem eatin' some.

I hate to see anything suffer.......I live near some large chicken processors; once in a while I see the conditions the chickens are shipped in and it makes me think twice about buying any.

how about some pulled horse butt!!!

I've been thinking about doing a brisket, but horse is so lean that I'm worried that it might turn out too dry - I've got a big moose butt in the freezer, and I'm just wondering what to do with it because it's got zero fat on it.

-Mark.

Back