Grilled horse

Wow! Probably the first time horse has been on this board.

I think we need a Horse Recipes forum
icon_smile.gif

-Mark.

By golly Mark I see there have been quite a few replies. Maybe a Horse Recipe Thread will be successful, but I doubt it. After I looked at your Rainforest Thread I googled Carnivore Restaurant Kenya Africa, and yes they are quite different. lol. It's all about BBQ'd meat at the Carnivore but its quite different than when I was there in 1999. If you look at Carnivore Restaurant Kenya online you will see the hugh BBQ Pit that is the centerpiece of the Restaurant right in the entrance. Now, it looks like they have reduced the menu to four exotic animals but still interesting to look at.

About 10 years ago on a trip to Japan, I had horse sushi and horse sashimi. Not bad but I was probably influenced by some negative thoughts. My wife however refused to even try a taste.

Ray

I'll have a plate of that!
icon_eek.gif
My friend was a Marine in Desert Storm. He tells me they ate lot's of camel and liked it. My understanding is that all animal meat is okay to eat.

Originally posted by Clark Deutscher:
Here is an article from CBC. It is a year and a half old but still along the same lines. It basically backs up what J had mentioned. Horse processing is way up in Canada with the majority of it being sent to Europe and Asia. I also talks about the improper equipment used in the salughtering process.

Having said all that I would still try it one day if presented.

Clark

I'd be willing to bet that's the same article I read awhile back when horse meat came up on a blog I read. The blogger runs a restaurant in Toronto that specializes in charcuterie and salumi.

The whole slaughtering thing does give me pause. I really liked Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's argument in his cool book "Meat." Basically, he argues that eating farmed meat is ok as long as the animal had a peaceful (albeit short) life, and a humane death. That's the bare bones version, he makes the whole argument a bit more compelling.

The problem with most commercial meat is that though the animal may have a relatively humane death it probably didn't have a peaceful life.

I always get weird looks when I say I love cats - wrapped in bacon and stuffed with cheese and sausage!

Seriously, if it's made of meat - eat it! I don't get into all the philosophical arguments of "it used to be a pet" or "it's a domesticated animal" and such. It's no different than eating a pig. People keep them as pets and even name them but when it comes down to it, they taste best as bacon!

[/QUOTE]

I'd be willing to bet that's the same article I read awhile back when horse meat came up on a blog I read. The blogger runs a restaurant in Toronto that specializes in charcuterie and salumi.

The whole slaughtering thing does give me pause. I really liked Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's argument in his cool book "Meat." Basically, he argues that eating farmed meat is ok as long as the animal had a peaceful (albeit short) life, and a humane death. That's the bare bones version, he makes the whole argument a bit more compelling.

The problem with most commercial meat is that though the animal may have a relatively humane death it probably didn't have a peaceful life.[/QUOTE]

There is a place on Granville Island in Vancouver called Oyama's that you can get chacuterie with horse. They don't advertise it or anything but they do have it. They actually have really nice products.

I whole heartedly agree with the statements about farmed meat assuming they are ethically treated. I picked up a pig from a farm a year or so ago to do a whole hog deal. Turned into a great relationship and I get all of my meat from them now. It is a little more expensive but they cut the exact cuts I need and want. More importantly I have been around the entire farm, all the animals roam free. The cows graze on grass and the place is spotless. Not to mention the fact they you can definately taste the difference between mass supermarket meat and this stuff!

Clark

I whole heartedly agree with the statements about farmed meat assuming they are ethically treated. I picked up a pig from a farm a year or so ago to do a whole hog deal. Turned into a great relationship and I get all of my meat from them now. It is a little more expensive but they cut the exact cuts I need and want. More importantly I have been around the entire farm, all the animals roam free. The cows graze on grass and the place is spotless. Not to mention the fact they you can definately taste the difference between mass supermarket meat and this stuff!

sounds great. I have started a relationship with local beef producer. What's great about this place is that they do two things that I found atypical of the local guys: the finish their cows on grain (most go for the pure grass fed angle) and they sell cuts (most try to get you to buy a portion of a cow).

I'm still working on a pork source.

check out this book. I referenced it above as my inspiration for searching out local meat, and its got a ton of solid info and great recipes too.

I'm going to order the book today and give it a read. Looks like it's right up my alley. While a different type of book have you checked out Bruce Aidells The Meat Cookbook. I've heard really good things about it but haven't had a chance to check it out myself.

I've been lucky, while not a big farm they have lamb, pigs, goats, cows, and chicken so with a weeks notice I can get basically any cut I'm after. I can pick up mature chickens for half the cost if I want to make a braise. They make wicked stock as well! Makes all the difference in the world to me! Do you prefer the cows finished on grain?

Clark

While a different type of book have you checked out Bruce Aidells The Meat Cookbook. I've heard really good things about it but haven't had a chance to check it out myself.

I've found a few other books by Bruce at the library but not the meat one. I probably scanned in half of his "complete book of pork."
icon_biggrin.gif

Good luck with the River Cottage book. I won't spoil it for you but there's some really shocking info in it. He buffers it all nicely with making you feel good about eating local meat though.

Oh great, is this going to be like the food inc documentary when the guy sticks his hand in the live cows stomach. That was nice.

I'm guessing the pork book is a winner then!

Clark

Oh great, is this going to be like the food inc documentary when the guy sticks his hand in the live cows stomach. That was nice.

I'm guessing the pork book is a winner then!

he mentions some stuff about chickens that was pretty appalling, but its not stuff most of aren't already aware of. And its only a small part of the book.

As for Bruce's book of pork, it looks like I scanned about 50 pages worth of recipes, and quickly looking them over, everything looks really good:

thin pork chops with spanish adobo
tonkatsu
tamarind marinated pork belly skewers
jerk ribs
hong kong ribs
porchetta

man, I got to get these things cooking.
icon_eek.gif
thanks for reminding me about them.

Originally posted by j biesinger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I whole heartedly agree with the statements about farmed meat assuming they are ethically treated. I picked up a pig from a farm a year or so ago to do a whole hog deal. Turned into a great relationship and I get all of my meat from them now. It is a little more expensive but they cut the exact cuts I need and want. More importantly I have been around the entire farm, all the animals roam free. The cows graze on grass and the place is spotless. Not to mention the fact they you can definately taste the difference between mass supermarket meat and this stuff!

sounds great. I have started a relationship with local beef producer. What's great about this place is that they do two things that I found atypical of the local guys: the finish their cows on grain (most go for the pure grass fed angle) and they sell cuts (most try to get you to buy a portion of a cow).

I'm still working on a pork source.

check out this book. I referenced it above as my inspiration for searching out local meat, and its got a ton of solid info and great recipes too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree that finding a good local source is the way to go if it's available. I am lucky to have a small outfit a few miles south that produces the best beef I've ever eaten.

They are family run and have been in the business for years. They source their cattle within the region from suppliers they know. They have their own finishing lot, where they control the process and finish the cattle with grain. They don't produce organic beef (and probably have no intention of doing so) but the animals are all raised naturally on smaller ranches. No mass production. All the beef is hung for 28 days before butchering.

The result is tremendous, though I find the prime rib roasts and rib steaks to be too rich for my liking. My fav cuts are NY steaks and then t-bones if I feel decadent. It's all good though, and it's the only place I will buy ground beef.

A number of restaurants buy the prime cuts, and so I find the best prices on flank and brisket here - about $3/lb less than the big stores, for far superior beef !

Beef is their specialty, but they also sell bison and elk from local ranches. They get monster chickens and seasonal turkeys from Hutterite farms in the province. Hams, sausage, jerky, it's all here.

I'm lucky to have them around. Once a year they have a special: buy a side of beef and get a side of pork for free. That's just too much meat at once for our family.

They are starting to know me as the guy that buys a lot of flank, asks for the brisket, and makes special orders for chuck eye. Pretty soon I'll be making an order for tri-tips.

And to respond to Clark's post, I prefer the beef grain finished. I've had some grass fed and I liked it, but find the flavour of grain finished preferable. All about the fat of course.

Originally posted by Clark Deutscher:

There is a place on Granville Island in Vancouver called Oyama's that you can get chacuterie with horse. They don't advertise it or anything but they do have it. They actually have really nice products.

Clark[/QUOTE]

Hey Clark - first I had to go and ask you the other day about Ucluelet oysters, and now you go and mention Oyama Sausage !

I used to stop there on trips when passing thru Oyama, before they moved. Top notch products. I miss that place !

Back