Star Rating Posts *****

j biesinger

TVWBB Platinum Member
I suppose this question may be moot come August 1, however I'll ask anyways:

Is there anyway we could promote the use of the star rating system?

I'm finding that I'm not canvassing the board like I used to, and would love it if the posts that shouldn't be missed were star rated.

Just a couple of comments about thread ratings.

When we move to vBulletin on August 1, the thread ratings will not carry over as part of the database conversion. It's unfortunate that this information will be lost. On the other hand, not many people have rated threads in the past, so it's not a big loss.

As for the Just Conversation forum, where I retain threads that have been rated, I have manually marked each such thread in the thread title, so I will be able to manually re-rate those threads after the move.

I don't know if vBulletin has any feature that encourages members to rate threads, but I can look into that. One neat feature of vBulletin is you can sort all threads in a forum by thread rating. That could be a really useful feature if members would take the time to rate threads that they liked.

Regards,
Chris

in case you're wondering, I'm the comedian who rated this thread 1 star

icon_biggrin.gif

well, hopefully we can encourage some of the members that are on all the time to use the new rating system.

As of now, I read post based on the op, the title, and the volume of comments.

IMO, rating a post is.... well, overrated.
what is a FANTASTICALLY AWESOME post to ONE person, can be totally boring to TEN others.

seems to me, some folks may rate their own post because it was "special" to them.... and quite meaningless to everyone else.

yeah, ratings mean nothing to me.

what is a FANTASTICALLY AWESOME post to ONE person, can be totally boring to TEN others.

seems to me, some folks may rate their own post because it was "special" to them.... and quite meaningless to everyone else.

I don't rate my own posts, but I do rate other posts if there is some good info or a new technique. The rating is the only way we have to signify an important post. I kind of stumbled on the spiral dog info and probably would have missed it if I didn't go through Photo forum that day. That was my reason for this thread. Maybe somebody else would have saw the posts as being unique and starred it before me.

Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
yeah, ratings mean nothing to me.
Post ratings work when enough people actually use the feature. You're right in the sense that if only one person rates a post because they think it's fanastically awesome, then it doesn't mean much. However, if 100 people rate a post, you will get a meaningful rating.

Another bit of information missing is how many people actually rated the post. That would give you a sense of how much weight to give the rating before reading the thread.

Regards,
Chris

My thought on this is if you are not checking out as many of the posts on this site as possible you are totally missing the boat! Whether they have stars, 1 reply or labeled "lame chicken pattie post" folks of all walks are on here and taking ideas and tips and incorporating them into their own cooks! That is what is so valuable about this site!

The problem with the star ratings is that they're polarized. people will rate awesome threads 5 stars, and terrible threads 1 star (I know, but they do exist...)

It's hard to get someone's attention with a medium-quality thread enough to bother them to post that 2-4 star rating.

Chris, I know that on other vBulletin boards I use the star rating feature is used. Maybe it's an option.

I would actually prefer a thumbs up/down vote that eliminates that middle ground of 2-4. You see this on some forums, but not vBulletin. Or even a "like" feature like Facebook, where there's only positive feedback but no negative feedback.

Regards,
Chris

Or even a "like" feature like Facebook, where there's only positive feedback but no negative feedback.

agreed. and I think we will even be able to "like" comments with the new forum.

There is an AJAX extension for "Thumbs Up/Thumbs Down" rating instead of star rating. "Like" seems to be reserved for actual integration with Facebook "Like".

Regards,
Chris

vBulletin displays a Replies count and a Views count, and you can sort a forum on either one.

You can also view "Today's Posts" across all forums, and "Hot Threads" are indicated with a red icon.

Regards,
Chris

I agree with Chris that
how many people actually rated the post
would be helpful. Personally, I would like some sort of rating system; either stars or thumbs up would be fine. Thumbs up would indicate that the thread is worth saving -- enough for me. It would make searching more efficient.

It would be nice to be able to search for threads concerning, say, "high-heat brisket" that have a Thumbs-Up rating. It might cut a considerable amount of time off a search.

Occasionally reminding members to use the function would also be helpful.

I've rated many posts on the grounds that they contained helpful information that would appeal to many members, rather than just to me alone.

Rita

Back