Coffee Beans what's in your grinder ???

I'm far from being a coffee expert but the obvious to me is: the better coffee beans have a roasted on date stamp, the decent/ good beans have a use by date, the not so good beans have no date.
Yeah, I knew that and screwed up. Because I'd stored bags away when I was sort of "panic" buying. What I had been doing was not loading up my cart with it. I had been buying a bag or 2 any time I was at Costco or Sam's and saw they had it at a reasonable price. Whether I already had 3 or 4 bags at home or not. Then I made the mistake of having so much, and not keeping track of what I bought when. This bag was the last of that fiasco. Honestly have no clue when I bought it, but the use by date was already a month passed when I found it a few days ago. So, now I have to live with it and figure out how to make the best of it.

Yeah, I knew that and screwed up. Because I'd stored bags away when I was sort of "panic" buying. What I had been doing was not loading up my cart with it. I had been buying a bag or 2 any time I was at Costco or Sam's and saw they had it at a reasonable price. Whether I already had 3 or 4 bags at home or not. Then I made the mistake of having so much, and not keeping track of what I bought when. This bag was the last of that fiasco. Honestly have no clue when I bought it, but the use by date was already a month passed when I found it a few days ago. So, now I have to live with it and figure out how to make the best of it.
While not proud to admit it, I've tossed mostly full bags of crap or stale coffee beans before. Life's too short to suffer through lousy coffee over some convoluted form of guilt. Not the kind of thing you just power through and tough it out every AM To feel better about things.

Here in Petaluma we have the Petaluma coffee and tea company. They roast and grind to order and will custom mix if asked and usually have at least 20 different coffees to choose from.. I get my coffee from them, no one else. I never buy more than a pound (2 different half pounds) at a time and keep it in a sealed, dark, container. I never freeze it and after 10 half pounds, you get a half pound for free!

Coffee and tea quality is outstanding. Currently, we have Costa Rica La Minita (medium) and Guatemala Free Trade in the house. Average price is ~$16.50/pound. It’s higher than COSTCO but the quality is worth it to me.

Make my coffee in a French press.

The best batch I got from them was when they had a sign up list for true Kona coffee. They called me finally for my pickup and the coffee was just finishing up in the roaster. After a quick grind and bath in the FP, it was the best cup I’ve ever had. Oh yeas, the time from arriving to enjoying that cup of coffee was a bit over 30 minutes.

While not proud to admit it, I've tossed mostly full bags of crap or stale coffee beans before. Life's too short to suffer through lousy coffee over some convoluted form of guilt. Not the kind of thing you just power through and tough it out every AM To feel better about things.
Yeah, if I do that, wife might REALLY be on my case. She can drink stale old pre-ground coffee from an el-cheapo machine and think it's quite good. So, considering I am discarding a very expensive bag of beans, and then if this one...................she might just toss me along with the beans :D.
I am sure, if I experiment a little I can likely make it "passable". Oddly the double shot I pulled yesterday was really quite nice from these beans. Unlike the other beans which did not make a good shot or a good pot.
Just did a search and one tip is to use a finer grind. I am on the "coarse" side of the grinder's drip setting. So maybe I will take it to the fine side and try again tomorrow. Maybe that is why the espresso shots are good. Because they're a fine grind and more extracted

Last edited:
Here in Petaluma we have the Petaluma coffee and tea company. They roast and grind to order and will custom mix if asked and usually have at least 20 different coffees to choose from.

I wish there was a local coffee roaster that I really like. OTOH, my wallet is probably better off without one.

My current brew is 80g per pot and I drink a pot a day. a 2 lb bag lasts about 11 days.

Starbucks French roast was my daily brew, yet Costco has not had any for a couple of months :(

I tried Kirkland FR and did not like it. Tossed out over half a bag. (n)
I tried SF Bay FR and was not impressed. I have half a bag left. Maybe I'll try some in the Moka pot.
I tried Pete's Major D. but its not my favorite.
Costco has ground Pete's FR. I bought a bag and its OK, but not up to par with their whole bean.

Maybe I'm being too frugal. I agree life is too short to drink crappy coffee.

Last edited:
I wish there a local coffee roaster that I really like. OTOH, my wallet is probably better off without one.

My current brew is 80g per pot and I drink a pot a day. . a 2 lb bag lasts about 11 days.

Starbucks French roast was my daily brew, yet Costco has not had any for a couple of months :(

I tried Kirkland FR and did not like it. Tossed out over half a bag. (n)
I tried SF Bay FR and was not impressed. I have half a bag left. Maybe I'll try some in the Moka pot.
I tried Pete's Major D. but its not my favorite.
Costco has ground Pete's FR. I bought a bag and its OK, but not up to par with their whole bean.

Maybe I'm being too frugal. I agree life is too short to drink crappy coffee.
Just read an article that went on to state Costco is short on carrying light roasts. In my experience, it's true. Local Costco carries none and I don't believe I've ever seen any there.
I'm quite satisfied with what they do carry. The dark and medium roasts they do carry are just fine.

Sam's supposedly carries Peets according to the website.
Jewel usually has Peets on sale once a month. I like the FR and M D. Just bought a bag of Peets "Big Bang." It's a medium roast, quite good.

Sam's supposedly carries Peets according to the website.
Jewel usually has Peets on sale once a month. I like the FR and M D. Just bought a bag of Peets "Big Bang." It's a medium roast, quite good.
Rarely ever see Peet's at Sam's. And if I do it's always pre-ground. Same at Costco. Don't like that as it puts me into a singular use. Usually too fine for drip and too coarse for espresso. Much rather grind my own

Rarely ever see Peet's at Sam's. And if I do it's always pre-ground. Same at Costco. Don't like that as it puts me into a singular use. Usually too fine for drip and too coarse for espresso. Much rather grind my own
It was whole bean on the website for the Oswego store. Never had a chance to check tho. Jewel always carries the whole bean.
It's been 4 months for me grinding my own. I like it.

Finishing up this bag of the Costco Kirkland Signature House Blend.
It's actually quite good and I will definitely get it again. It's in my rotation now and it seems like Costco will always stock it. Still like the Columbian Supremo and the Peet's but this one is solid. The least expensive whole bean the local Costco stocks is their French Roast and it's just not good.20240318_073031.jpg

Last edited:
Well I can't wait to open the bag I have waiting on the sidelines. I have to say though I think the Columbian Supremo at Sam's Club presents a slightly better value. A little less $$$ per pound and to my taste buds a little better quality

Well I can't wait to open the bag I have waiting on the sidelines. I have to say though I think the Columbian Supremo at Sam's Club presents a slightly better value. A little less $$$ per pound and to my taste buds a little better quality
Than which? The Kirkland Colombian Supremo or?

The Kirkland CS. IIRC the Sam's Club comes in a slightly bigger bag and is a couple $$$ cheaper per bag than the Kirkland CS
The KS come in a 3lb. bag for $17 I believe.
I've never tried the Sam's Club as they don't carry whole bean in the one we frequent. I'd grab a bag if they did.

I thought the Kirkland was a 2lb bag. I will have to look again on next trip. The Sam's is 2.5lb IIRC about $14.50 bag

Just going off "recall" but when I tried the Kirkland and Sam's versions I tended to like the Sam's a touch better. But that was 2 or 3 months ago

Back