Coffee Beans what's in your grinder ???

DanHoo

TVWBB Olympian
I love coffee and I know I'm not alone yet when I try to find posts about coffee beans they are scatted in a few different threads as part of the wandering conversation.

Maybe a dedicated thread is worthwhile and we can share the good ones and the not-so good ones.

Last edited:
I just opened a bag of (Costco) Kirkland French Roast. My normal day-to-day coffee is $tarbuck$ French Roast. My first impression is the Kirkland FR is milder than the SB FR. It has a nice smooth flavor.

Overall it is a nice cup, however my preference leans to a slightly darker roast. I might grind this a click finer and see what that does.

edit:
75g beans
Baratza Virtuoso+ set to "17"
40oz water in the MoccaMaster, no stirring or pausing the drip, just turn it on and walk away.

20231201_093734.jpg

Last edited:
My current morning (Yellow Bourbon) and afternoon (decaf) beans...I am currently into South American beans,

1701452989977.png

Lavazza or Illy Nespresso original line pods. Either 11 (dark roast) or 10 ( slightly less burnt flavor). Three shots and hot steamed milk, no froth. On a rare occasion I’ll add a pump of Ghirardelli chocolate syrup and make it a mocha.

We've moved from OKC to SE Georgia but we still get our beans from a local place in OKC. Great coffee.

That's mostly for the wife for her Breville Barista Pro. I'm a bit of a philistine with coffee and I stick to my Community Coffee. Love NOLA and got a taste for Community.

I typically get these two and mix them.

1701463288443.png

1701463302592.png

Last edited:
These two are the only Starbucks coffee I can drink....they are at the lowest (blonde) end of their roast scale and are pretty well the darkest roast coffee I like. I find them very well balanced.

The True North makes a great cappuccino, and I like the Green Apron as a drip coffee with cream.

1701796395492.png

When I don't have a home roast on hand, my go-to is either Major Dickason, or Guatemala San Sebastian from Peet's.

I just roasted the last of my Guatemala Antigua Pavon from Sweet Maria's.....needs to sit another day. Full City.

R

Granted, my coffee palette is not nearly as sophisticated as most others. My current daily is the Starbucks Organic Winter Blend purchased from Costco, on sale at $10 for 2.5 pound bag of whole bean.

So I just picked up a bag of Colombian Supremo at Costco today to give a direct comparison to the Sam's Club version called the same thing. The Sam's is rated as Med/Dark roast. the Costco shows Med only

First Colony organic rainforest blend from Costco. Medium roast.

Given the huge quantities of coffee we make, the price can’t be beat. Tastes very good. FYI I’ve become more of a med to med/dark roast guy.

Full on dark French roast tastes like carbon to me these days.

I found this one on special at Costco two weeks ago. I wasn't sure if it was going to be some flavored roast but it's not. It's good. Not great, but good. For the record...I tasted no "Notes of candied nuts and warm spice"imageService.jpeg

It would be great if you can compare SF Bay to $tarbucks FR or Kirkland FR.

Right now I prefer $tarbucks over the Kirkland.
Haven't had the Starbucks FR but I have had the Kirkland. It's good...it's probably the least expensive whole bean coffee in Costco. I'll maybe pick up a bag of the Kirkland at done point but I have about 7 lbs. of beans including the SF Bay FR to go through...it might be a little while!

Well I found two new ones at my Costco yesterday. Trying the Organic Sumatra today. It says dark roast on the bag, but it's definitely not "dark" like many others i.e. SF Bay, Starbucks, and many others. Closest one I can relate it to is PEETS Major Dickison blend but maybe even a little lighter than that.
Bag recommends a slightly finer grind than usual. So, I set the grinder to the "finer" side of "Filter/Drip" and gave it a whirl on the Gold setting with the Breville. Overall a nice brew. Almost a chocolaty flavor and aroma. Couple of observations are I noted more "broken" or "flaked" beans in the bag. Otherwise a very nice aroma both whole, when ground and when brewed. When this bag is done
1703084001565.jpeg

When this one is done I will give this one a try

1703084042326.jpeg

Well I found two new ones at my Costco yesterday. Trying the Organic Sumatra today. It says dark roast on the bag, but it's definitely not "dark" like many others i.e. SF Bay, Starbucks, and many others. Closest one I can relate it to is PEETS Major Dickison blend but maybe even a little lighter than that.
Bag recommends a slightly finer grind than usual. So, I set the grinder to the "finer" side of "Filter/Drip" and gave it a whirl on the Gold setting with the Breville. Overall a nice brew. Almost a chocolaty flavor and aroma. Couple of observations are I noted more "broken" or "flaked" beans in the bag. Otherwise a very nice aroma both whole, when ground and when brewed. When this bag is done
View attachment 84033

When this one is done I will give this one a try

View attachment 84034
Local Costco has nothing as exotic as these. Wish they did.
I mixed the beans my daughter gave us in with the Starbucks Organic Winter blend...which also seems to have a bit of chaff in the bag. And the "charity benefit" beans...not even a roasted on date on the bag. But it's a decent brew. SF Bay Coffee Company French Roast on deck.

Back