Coffee Beans what's in your grinder ???

I just tried another double shot using the KitchenAid espresso machine, and with the pressurized basket. I got good crema this time. Still somewhat "insipid" for flavor. I think it's just not "fresh". When you are at Costco and see a nice 3lb bag of French Roast for $11.99 and this in a 2lb at $18, folks think twice about buying it. I just think it's been on the shelves too long. I think perhaps getting good FRESH coffee is more important than the actual "variety" or pedigree.
I still have a bag of the Kirkland Medium/Dark roast (which FWIW is only $10.99. I will finish off this stuff then give the Kirkland a go.
I mix coffees all the time. Mix 1/3 of the stuff you don't like with 2/3 of the stuff you do and you will probably never know the difference;-)

I mix coffees all the time. Mix 1/3 of the stuff you don't like with 2/3 of the stuff you do and you will probably never know the difference;-)
Nah, I am just gonna "power" through it. It's not that it tastes badly it's just kind of timid. No character to it. I will simply try putting maybe 75 grams in the Breville instead of 69, set it for a longer bloom, slower flow and maybe a little higher temp, in the hopes of getting more extraction and a more full bodied flavor. Honestly I think if I did not have the Breville I would likely discard them. But, I will experiment tomorrow AM and see how things go. I'll report.

This sort of happens as you reach the end of the bag of any beans. I fill a vacuum cannister with beans from the bag and tape the bag shut. When there's perhaps 20 scoops left in the cannister I refill it. I always end up with a pot or two's worth....open a new bag and mix them together. I can't tell any taste difference.

Well, tried more coffee and slowed down the brew. IDK still tastes insipid only now IDK, maybe even a bit bitter or sour and I have too much to mix :(

Well, tried more coffee and slowed down the brew. IDK still tastes insipid only now IDK, maybe even a bit bitter or sour and I have too much to mix :(
That's the only problem I have with trying new coffee from Costco. If it's terrible, you're stuck with 2 or 2+ lbs of beans you hate and I can't bring myself to returning opened coffee beans. Usually give it to someone.

Just pulled a double shot with it and while I got a decent crema from it, I am just very displeased. Thinking I may just toss this stuff in the trash. All those accolades on the label............................hogwash (at least on this bag) I noticed Costco has not restocked it and it's still the same flat from when I bought it last month.

Well, today I went back to my settings I used on previous coffees. And, then added more beans to the grinder (about 8 or 9 more grams). It did not help. This AM's coffee was VERY harsh. No flavor. Just harshness is only way I can describe it. Really awful.

I cracked a fresh bag of Peet's Major Dickasons this AM. It's undoubtedly my favorite with Costco Colombian Supremo a close second. Both have been extremely consistent for several years and Costco always stocks them.

I cracked a fresh bag of Peet's Major Dickasons this AM. It's undoubtedly my favorite with Costco Colombian Supremo a close second. Both have been extremely consistent for several years and Costco always stocks them.
Yeah, PEETS is good stuff. My Costco does not seem to keep it in stock. But right now I have about 1/2 of that $18 bago o Guatemalan beans left. And I am so Not liking them I think I am going to toss them and open the Kirkland Columbian Supremo sitting on my fridge. Yeah, the coffee is THAT bad. It's so sad as they "smell" soooooooooo good. And there is literally no chaff in them either. I think the issue is they just sit too long over there.

Yeah, PEETS is good stuff. My Costco does not seem to keep it in stock. But right now I have about 1/2 of that $18 bago o Guatemalan beans left. And I am so Not liking them I think I am going to toss them and open the Kirkland Columbian Supremo sitting on my fridge. Yeah, the coffee is THAT bad. It's so sad as they "smell" soooooooooo good. And there is literally no chaff in them either. I think the issue is they just sit too long over there.
I know. It's always a crap shoot when you see a new, different type of coffee in the warehouse stores. The Peet's definitely commands the highest price...well it's right there with the Starbucks stuff but it never disappoints.

Well, I dumped all that "stuff" into a ziploc bag. Sent a message to my neighbor who does a lot of BBQ, and I think he likes coffee rub. I don't. So, hopefully he can use it. Or if anyone here wants it. :D
I opened the other bag of Kirkland Columbian Supremo instead. What a difference. I pulled some shots with it for daughter and myself. Absolutely WONDERFUL. Fragrant, smooth, rich, just absolutely WONDERFUL.
I did some experimenting as noted in other posts in this thread and had REALLY good luck. But those coffees were priced more aggressively and were moving off the shelf.
I don't think this stuff is gonna move. The pallet is still packed the same way and the pattern of the bags doesn't look like it's changed. So I don't think anyone is buying it.
Has anyone tried this one? https://www.costco.com/kirkland-sig...medium-roast,-2.5-lbs.product.4000232205.html
In the store it's only $10.99 per bag. Wondering if it's one of those "Kirkland Treasures"

Yep, always a consistently tasty blend from Peet's!

I wasn't able to roast a new batch before my last one ran out, so I had to (GASP) buy coffee today! Picked up some Counter Culture "Forty Six" to try something new. Haven't cracked it yet, but will probably pull a shot or two this afternoon to dial in my dose/grind for it. :)

1709844857054.png

Well, yesterday as noted I gave up on those beans and opened a bag of Kirkland Columbian Supremo. Pulled a couple shots with them for me and daughter. She declared "better than Starbucks". They were wonderful...................really
Today, did a pot in the Breville and................ahhhhhh back to some good coffee. I have to say, the previous ones I tried I just could not believe how poor a cup they made. It was really awful.
Hopefully someone here will chime in on the Kirkland House Blend Medium Roast. At $10.99 bag if it's anywhere near as good as the Columbian Supremo it's a total bargain!

I get this 2022DecafCoffeeGround_600x.jpg sent to me in Wisconsin from New Jersey, because Wisconsin coffee sucks. We would drink Wawa coffee on the bus on the way to high school. I was really bummed when I moved here and couldn't get it.

I make it by the pot in one of these 71QX3QG2m3L._AC_SY879_.jpg

Well. I get using the pour over. You can make a nice pot with one. No use for decaf though. Would rather have no coffee :D Also decaf gives me horrid heart burn. I found out it has something to do with how they process the beans that causes excess acid when drinking it

Well, yesterday as noted I gave up on those beans and opened a bag of Kirkland Columbian Supremo. Pulled a couple shots with them for me and daughter. She declared "better than Starbucks". They were wonderful...................really
Today, did a pot in the Breville and................ahhhhhh back to some good coffee. I have to say, the previous ones I tried I just could not believe how poor a cup they made. It was really awful.
Hopefully someone here will chime in on the Kirkland House Blend Medium Roast. At $10.99 bag if it's anywhere near as good as the Columbian Supremo it's a total bargain!
The House Blend used to be roasted by Starbucks...was printed on the bag. Not anymore as of a few months ago. Now I believe it is roasted by San Francisco Bay Coffee Company...as is the Colombian Supremo. The Starbucks roasted stuff was good. Haven't had the newer stuff but my son has and he likes it.
The Colombian Supremo is our go to along with Peet's Major Dickasons...the Peet's is more expensive but it's good. The Colombian Supremo is always good and extremely consistent. Most recently, the local Costco started carrying San Francisco Bay Coffee Company French Roast in 3lb. clear bags. It's good and reasonably priced. But I've never had a bad bag of the Colombian Supremo in 5+ years.

I am thinking those may turn out to be good to excellent. I have a thought that perhaps some of that "gourmet" stuff may be great except because of it's price and obscurity people don't buy it. So perhaps if you catch it just unloaded it may be good. Or perhaps Costco gets those as over runs from other places and it's maybe going stale before it is even unloaded. Though the dates on the bag don't necessarily show that
I'll grab a bag of the Kirkland Medium Roast in the green/white bag next time and give it a go. If not good I won't feel so badly losing a $10.99 bag rather than $18.99

I am thinking those may turn out to be good to excellent. I have a thought that perhaps some of that "gourmet" stuff may be great except because of it's price and obscurity people don't buy it. So perhaps if you catch it just unloaded it may be good. Or perhaps Costco gets those as over runs from other places and it's maybe going stale before it is even unloaded. Though the dates on the bag don't necessarily show that
I'll grab a bag of the Kirkland Medium Roast in the green/white bag next time and give it a go. If not good I won't feel so badly losing a $10.99 bag rather than $18.99
Yeah, I'm not a fan of the coffee of the month club online coffees. I've had some good ones but honestly, I've not had one that I felt was worth the cost vs Colombian Supremo or even Peet's. The value just isn't there when they have to charge $15-$20+ plus shipping for a 12oz bag of beans. The dark, goofy names they market them under are silly too...Kicking Horse, High Voltage, Knockout Punch, Rage, etc...
Again, there are some good ones for sure and I think it's a matter of how one enjoys their coffee. But for us, fresh ground beans and drip...the best overall is Costco and some supermarket offerings.

The Counter Culture "Forty-Six" is making some great brewed coffee (both Aeropress and French press), and tasty espresso shots. The flavor tends more toward citrus, fruit, brighter notes than my usual chocolately Guatemalans, but VERY tasty stuff!

1710090171362.jpeg

1710090182068.jpeg

Back