Coffee Beans what's in your grinder ???

Hey, so I opened that bag of Kirkland House Blend. Really nice stuff. Especially at under $11 for 2.5lbs! But, is it always this "oily"? And is oily better? I am assuming it means "fresher"?
1712663621412.jpeg

Hey, so I opened that bag of Kirkland House Blend. Really nice stuff. Especially at under $11 for 2.5lbs! But, is it always this "oily"? And is oily better? I am assuming it means "fresher"?
View attachment 89019
The bag I'm finishing up is/was and I believe that's the nature of this roast but I don't know if oily is a function of taste or quality. I read where folks claim it clogs their grinders...must be junk grinders as I've never had that problem with any grinders I've owned. I'm drinking the last of that bag now. It's good. Seems they dropped the Roasted by Starbucks and the price per bag dropped $2-3 with it. I'm good with that.

View attachment 89019
Not completely unusual for a dark roasted coffee. Normal reaction between water and the CO2 driven off during roasting. Over time these oils can cause coffee to taste sour but generally we don’t have a bag of coffee sitting around long enough to worry about it.

I’m not really overly enjoying the coffee from our ninja coffee machine and I don’t know why.
It’s a simple drip machine no different than all the other drip machines I’ve had other than it also has a pod mode and the pod coffee tastes incredibly good.
I freaking love them pod cups of coffee.

I get free Starbucks coffee beans by the case from a friend that spends her vacation at our place in the summer.
She gets them free or at cost from work, so I was thinking maybe they are old beans?
I bought Costco beans recently and they were about the same.

So I’m not sure if it’s my machine, my beans or that pods are just that much better tasting than fresh ground beans.

I don't think it's the "pods" per se. COuld be your Ninja is simply made in a way to take advantage of the pods over a filter/basket. Maybe the spray head, water temps water flow speed, etc are all more tuned to a pod than a basket

I’m not really overly enjoying the coffee from our ninja coffee machine and I don’t know why.
It’s a simple drip machine no different than all the other drip machines I’ve had other than it also has a pod mode and the pod coffee tastes incredibly good.

I get free Starbucks coffee beans by the case from a friend that spends her vacation at our place in the summer.
She gets them free or at cost from work, so I was thinking maybe they are old beans?

So I’m not sure if it’s my machine, my beans or that pods are just that much better tasting than fresh ground beans.
Andy - I have improved my Mr. Coffee coffee dramatically by using a metal filter with a paper filter under and as the water starts coming down rotating the metal part and stirring the coffee until it is all suspended in water. Now all the coffee grinds are well extracted like a pore over. Take a look to see how your coffee is being wetted by the water and seeing if the grounds are getting evenly extracted. The metal filter helps as it is more durable and the paper filter is to prevent the small amount of grounds from getting through the metal screened one.

What is your grinder? A decent grinder makes a huge difference. The drip maker matters too. Is it brewing between 195-205 degrees in 5-7 minutes?

I’ve never had a good grinder but I wasn’t smart enough to know any difference so that might be it.
It’s a blade type grinder that has timer settings for the desired result.
How should I measure the temp ?
Just open the lid while it’s brewing and stick a temp probe in it?

Joe, I’m going to give that a try.

Larry, I’m just not sure.

I’ve never had a good grinder but I wasn’t smart enough to know any difference so that might be it.
It’s a blade type grinder that has timer settings for the desired result.
How should I measure the temp ?
Just open the lid while it’s brewing and stick a temp probe in it?

Joe, I’m going to give that a try.

Larry, I’m just not sure.
Yes to Just open the lid while it’s brewing and stick a temp probe in it? That is what I did with my Mr. Coffee and found it brewed on the cool side. I got the temp up a little by hitting the slow brew button and for a few minutes when the water starts coming out I aim it to the reservoir to pre-heat the water as my MR. Coffee water sprayer rotates and then locks into place over the filter basket when I close the lid. Also it is said that the brew water can be cooler with dark beans. Just what I got from vids.

FWIW I am NOT a sophisticated coffee drinker. I blame this on my young introduction to gas station coffee, and then my time in the Army.

Anyway, I am about half-way through a bag of the Kirkland House Blend. My take is much the same as others here; nice and evenly roasted, some oily residue (not a bad thing?), does not clog my grinder at all, in fact it grinds up very cleanly.

Really good middle-of-the-road taste for me. I've certainly had much worse, but had a few that were better. The selling price makes this very attractive and a competitive choice for everyday use.

In my amateur opinion, I think the slightly oily residue is good. When I open a bag of beans up, and it's not slightly damp or oily, and looks dry and kind of gnarly, out it goes. Good or bad, it's kind of an indicator for freshness and quality of the roast, at least for me anyway.

I love coffee and I know I'm not alone yet when I try to find posts about coffee beans they are scatted in a few different threads as part of the wandering conversation.

Maybe a dedicated thread is worthwhile and we can share the good ones and the not-so good ones.
HEB Texas, San Antonio roast, and Texas pecan, I add chickery to the pecan roast.

So I pulled a double shot of espresso this afternoon with the new Kirkland beans, my little Casabrews machine, plus the non pressurized basket I bought for it. Used about 17 grams and it pulled a BEAUTIFUL double shot, perfect crema, deep rich aroma and taste. No bitterness or sour. Just the best darn shot I've ever pulled. I have to say so far seems to be some nice stuff. It's even putting out a really nice brew from my Breville Precision Brew on the "set and forget" Gold setting. All that for $10.50 for 2.5lbs?! Hard to believe. IDK if it's roasted by Starbucks or not. But it's awfully darn good stuff

I love Lavazza coffee but it's VERY rare to find it in Costco or Sam's and there is only one store here otherwise that would sell it. But ya pay through the nose for it. Those are great prices on that site you linked. Though I did not notice if shipping was inclusive

I love Lavazza coffee but it's VERY rare to find it in Costco or Sam's and there is only one store here otherwise that would sell it. But ya pay through the nose for it. Those are great prices on that site you linked. Though I did not notice if shipping was inclusive
I purchase it through Amazon Link.

Went to grab another bag of beans thinking for certain it would be KS Colombian Supremo and I saw this one sitting behind it. Brewing a pot now. Looks and smell very good, although I had it before and I found it to be decent.
Solid cup of coffee. I don't think the local Costco will be carrying it anymore. Perhaps too much overlap with the KS French Roast...and I strongly suspect they are the same beans from the same supplier.

Attachments

• 1000010255.jpg
    1000010255.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 4
Was at Costco today. Noted they now have a Kirkland Sumatran blend (black bag red graphics). Pretty expensive at just shy of $20 for 2lbs. 1712791621315.png
Then they also have a med/dark Kirkland Organic, along side the "House Blend", and of course their own Kirkland French roast. Interestingly both the FR and House Blend are 10.99 for the 2.5lb bag. Though my last foray into the FR was not all that "agreeable" with me. And the Kirkland organic one was IIRC about $15 for 2lbs. But honestly this House Blend at $10.99 really tickles my taste buds. Pulled a double with it on the KitchenAid espresso machine. Again, good crema, excellent rich taste and aroma. Really hard to believe how good for how little $$$$

Back