Zucchini Gratin

Tim Campbell

TVWBB Gold Member
Not much cooking over the last few days ☹️. Did a simple dish last night just to stay in practice. Sorry...no plated shot (or main dish, for that matter).

Cooked a couple onions in butter for 15 minutes
20220713_184648.jpg
20220713_184640.jpg

Added about 2lbs zucchini, sliced into quarter inch rounds. Cooked low-heat for 10 minutes covered, 5 more uncovered.
20220713_191849.jpg

In the spirit of keeping things a bit lighter, I went with milk instead of cream. Still tasted fantastic with Gruyere, bread crumbs and a bit more butter.

20 minutes at about 400°.
20220713_222636.jpg

Good stuff! Thanks for looking.

HeyTim, have you ever tried doing a “Zucchotto” or “Timbale” king of thing in that vein? I’ve lined a SS bowl with butter and bread crumbs lining that with thin slices of alternating yellow squash and zucchini, then layering in some (leftover😁) risotto and the various squash finishing with a not necessarily pretty flat layer since that will be the bottom. Then bake it off and flip it onto an appropriate plate, cut into reasonable wedges and start to cry because it’s so good.
Full disclosure, haven’t done one of these in some time, never enough leftover risotto! But, make sure you REALLY butter the bowl and use plenty of crumbs, otherwise it has a tendency to stick. NO, spray does NOT work!
This is the time of year for one of these, maybe at the cottage?

Tim, that's a great looking Z-gratin!! I need some new ways to make zucchini, so will steal this one.

@Timothy F. Lewis, so, a savory dish in the style of a tart tatin almost? Love the idea, and would make risotto just to have leftovers for this! :)

R

Tim, Rich, I just bumped up my Squash Fritter recipe. It says to use yellow squash, but lots of times DH has used zucchini and it is DELICIOUS!!!!!! It was our 14th time having this recipe the other night and yes we had leftovers for breakfast. Oh sooo good!!!!!
Hope you all will try them.

Tim, that's a great looking Z-gratin!! I need some new ways to make zucchini, so will steal this one.

@Timothy F. Lewis, so, a savory dish in the style of a tart tatin almost? Love the idea, and would make risotto just to have leftovers for this! :)

R
Well, not quite, more like a vegetable risotto “Bombe” heavily greased, dusted with savory crumbs “shingle” the sliced squash/zucchini then layer the risotto, slices, risotto, ending with a layer of the zucchinI. Bake, 25-35 minutes invert and let it rest a few minutes and slice like a cake.
I have used a medium sized SS bowl for the “mould” with good results. Cheers!

Back