You're filling your propane tanks right, not exchanging?

I went to fill up a tank the other day and they were charging $3.58 a gallon. This is highway robbery I thought to my self. I called a farm and ranch store in town that I know fills tanks. $1.78 a gallon. Makes me want to hold a boycott rally of the first store. Any way, the only down side is they are real sticklers for the re certification date. Oh well, better to exchange a tank than pay $3.58 a gallon.

I went to fill up a tank the other day and they were charging $3.58 a gallon. This is highway robbery I thought to my self. I called a farm and ranch store in town that I know fills tanks. $1.78 a gallon. Makes me want to hold a boycott rally of the first store. Any way, the only down side is they are real sticklers for the re certification date. Oh well, better to exchange a tank than pay $3.58 a gallon.

So how much do you have to pay for the exchange tank? Here in NJ they charge $20 or more for a 20lb tank exchange tank. But they only fill them to 15 lbs. And you get an old recycled tank that could be 20 or 30 years old. A 20 lb tank takes 20lbs. of propane which equals about 3.5 gallons. $3.58 per gallon is pretty cheap. At the store I worked at the price is $17.99 for a 20lb fill. Are you sure the charge by the pound? Most tanks are filled by weight.

An exchange on a good sale is $20.00. Yes I am sure it is by the gallon. I watch the meter run and it usually will go to 4 or 4 1/2 gallon because of the OPD on them now. Any way, the fact of the matter is $3.58 vs $1.78. I will fill up at $1.78 and save money for other resorations. Crazy.

An exchange on a good sale is $20.00. Yes I am sure it is by the gallon. I watch the meter run and it usually will go to 4 or 4 1/2 gallon because of the OPD on them now. Any way, the fact of the matter is $3.58 vs $1.78. I will fill up at $1.78 and save money for other resorations. Crazy.

I don't blame you. I would do the same thing.

You always lose a few lbs when exchanging, regardless of where you live. Refilling is the way to go. I go to a RV place by me - they use AmeriGas, and have a deal where you refill 3 ($19 per each out the door), and you get the 4th for free. So a 20 lb tank refill for $14.25, not a bad deal in Chicago. Exchanges go for $20-22.

Last edited:
Here I have weighed my refills and my exchanged tanks and they weigh the same when "full". They cost the same too. No $$$ saved by refilling

Here I have weighed my refills and my exchanged tanks and they weigh the same when "full". They cost the same too. No $$$ saved by refilling

Except if you buy a new tank and refill it you have a nice new tank. Not and old recycled one that could rupture at any time. At out store we've had exchange tanks that a customer wanted refilled and had the bottoms blow out when pressure was put to them.

Our local Costco is in the process of installing a propane station. Looking forward getting some refills. Fortunately, our local Kroger exchanges tanks for $15.99.

The "Ferrellgas" place here will recertify and fill from dead empty (4.7 gal) for $10.37 seems like the route to follow around here, I am not yet a Costco member but, I will check there too.

Back