Your thoughts on the 3 in 1 grate mod?

Dale Nichols

TVWBB Super Fan
I did a search on the 3 in 1 mod but did not see much about it. I have been asking a lot mod questions lately I know. Do you like this one?

Last edited:
I have a bit of a counter view. I wired the charcoal ring to the charcoal grate (as illustrated on Chris' guide) and found that gives me all of the handles I need. After the smoke (with things cooled down and fire out) i just pick up the ring and shake the ashes off into the base. Easy/peasy! "Don't need no stinkin' handles"...:rolleyes:

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I have a bit of a counter view. I wired the charcoal ring to the charcoal grate (as illustrated on Chris' guide) and found that gives me all of the handles I need. After the smoke (with things cooled down and fire out) i just pick up the ring and shake the ashes off into the base. Easy/peasy! "Don't need no stinkin' handles"...:rolleyes:

Keep on smokin',

I agree. I bought my 22 from a buddy, and didn't miss the handles after replacing the charcoal grate.

Speaking of handles, I took the midsection ones off of my 18 to make the cover fit better and don't miss those, either. Thankfully, the ones my buddy put on my 22 are low enough in profile that the cover still fits, even with the dome hinge.

Keep on smokin',

Times three. The ring has holes in it, plenty to stick a gloved finger or two to grab a hold and shake it..

Tim

Keep on smokin',

Did the same wiring the grates to the ring but added the handles too but used eye bolts for them. I actually use them on mine :) but wouldn't be a big deal if they were not there.

Here's my $.02

When I got the 22 (first WSM) I did the "usual mod" of wiring everything together and adding anchor bolts as handles.

WeberSmokeyMountain021.jpg

I still use this mod every-single-time I shake the ash off. Sometimes it's during a long smoke, sometimes it's the following day when everything is cold. For that purpose, I love the mod and wouldn't change a thing. But... One of the things I went to do was drop the cooking grate on the charcoal ring for some quick direct grilling after the smoke was done. Picture chicken parts for an additional skin sear or grilling up some veggies as a side dish to whatever just got done in the smoker. For that, the stock grate doesn't fit. In my case, I grabbed the cooking grate from an 18" kettle and it fits perfectly. (sorry, no photos of the 18" cooking grate on this set-up)

When I picked up an 18" WSM, I tweaked the handle idea. It bolted it together like this.

1687ACE8-7450-432D-8DB4-61FA073956FD.jpg

When I go to shake the coals, I still have a good grip/control while making it a snap to use the cooking grate on top of the charcoal ring. Best of both worlds in my book. The above photo is after an overnight cook, but cooling off enough where I needed to add additional coals. Wearing gloves, of course, I give the ring a vigorous back-n-forth shake and everything (that doesn't fall through the grate) ends up in the middle. Add some unlit charcoal to either side and you're off with the Minion method. :)

29A69E18-FEC6-4071-BA76-737C05C06BDE.jpg

Times three. The ring has holes in it, plenty to stick a gloved finger or two to grab a hold and shake it..

Tim

x4 also I don't need no stinking handles - OR GLOVES, by the time the coal is out, usually the next day I just man up and pick it up and shake it LOL

I used hose clamps to hold the ring to the grate

x4 also I don't need no stinking handles - OR GLOVES, by the time the coal is out, usually the next day I just man up and pick it up and shake it LOL

I used hose clamps to hold the ring to the grate

I've only used my WSM once, but I see the need for this mod. Hose clamps was a great idea. Will try that

Back