Your solar order is confirmed -OR- I'm so bright my dad used to call me sun

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
Well I did it - I ordered a solar system. 40 kwh w/ 3 powerwalls

Haven't put much thought in it, but the federal tax credits disappearing in a couple years.

Looks like our power co is looking to end/reduce the reimbursement for net-metering (where the power company pays for excess energy). https://www.sltrib.com/news/2017/09...eal-for-rocky-mountain-power-solar-customers/ ----------- looks like locking in I'll be able to rake in the big bucks from the power co for ~15 years.

Federal tax credit:
2019: the tax credit is 30 percent of the cost of the solar energy system.
2020: the tax credit is 26 percent of the cost of the system
2021: the tax credit is 22 percent of the cost of the system
2022: homeowners can no longer claim the solar tax credit

I know virtually nothing about this stuff, and I just put down the $100 (refundable) so I don't keep procrastinating & miss out on it. I've paused & closed the solar estimator pages so many times when they asked for my address.

Quite a few of our neighbors have solar, but I've never looked into it. Our electric bill is usually under $50 and that's with two refrigerators and a big freezer so I'm fine with that. Biggest change was when I replaced all the lights with LEDs.
Dropped the electric bill by over $20.

Quite a few of our neighbors have solar, but I've never looked into it. Our electric bill is usually under $50 and that's with two refrigerators and a big freezer so I'm fine with that. Biggest change was when I replaced all the lights with LEDs.
Dropped the electric bill by over $20.

@ ~$50 I wouldn't consider it - I just looked through my pwr bills - 2018 I was between $120 & $260, 2019 I put in a Sense energy monitor & a swamp cooler when I saw how much energy I was using & my highs dropped from $260 to $140. That's with an evaporative cooler pulling ~300-500 watts, not the ac pulling ~3000.

This might not make sense to do. Probably opt for a smaller system, I haven't calculated anything yet, even selling the overage to the pwr co (~$0.10 a watt until 2035, & that goes away late this fall).

Might be a bigger hassle than it's worth, or I might not have picked the best option.

Clint, was this through Tesla? I saw the ad for it and serioulsy contemplated doing it with the PowerWalls for storage.

Clint, was this through Tesla? I saw the ad for it and seriously contemplated doing it with the PowerWalls for storage.

Yes - I think I'm jumping the gun though - the fed tax credit expiring next year is what spurred me. I've sent them the bills and a few pics, still need to send some more pictures of of my house.

Thing is, they're starting a program (just a few states) where there's no commitment, no cancellation charge, etc. That one doesn't include power wall(s) but if you buy powerwalls they'll install it. I'm trying to pay stuff off, not refinance or take out a loan.

This is probably still early adopter phase, battery tech is going to evolve rapidly with all the new E-vehicles, See the Audi & Hummer ads during the superbowl? The big players are about to make a big push into the market.

The net metering program that's ending might or might not be a good deal - 15 years if I sign on this year - they're ending the net meter program in UT Q3 this year. Upsizing the system might net ~$1.00 - $3.00 per day, & then I multiply 365 days x 15 years = 5500 days, so maybe it is a good idea to upsize.

I'm going to continue looking into this but I have one foot out the door :)

I forget the power wall costs----- each is good for a 5 kW draw, so one powerwall would power your microwave (3000 watts), toaster oven (~1600 watts), but not your electric dryer (~6000 watts, +/- 1000w). I could get by with just one I think.

Having a sense meter has given me a clue as to my consumption, I'm happy to have that small amount of knowledge.

https://www.google.com/get/sunroof

Last edited:
I backed out. The system cost was more $$,$$$ than expected, I saw the design & it was a lot more panels than I expected (like 36 panels).

I love the idea but this is definitely not something to rush. I wouldn't have cancelled but I saw the bill & it said I had 3 days from feb 1 when I put my deposit down to cancel.

They had a bill that looked more official than I was in the mood for.

Well there you go. It comes down to money, and if it doesn't look right, then it isn't right. Maybe someday though.

Back