TVWBB Member
I was just wondering what everyone uses to adhere rub:

Nothing
Worcestershire sauce
Mustard
Mayonnaise
Soy Sauce
etc.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dan M.:
I was just wondering what everyone uses to apply rub: </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
my hands.
icon_smile.gif

that's it...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">my hands </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
LOL.....wrong choice of words, how about adhere rub. Better?
icon_razz.gif

I make all my rubs without salt. I salt the meat first, more for large cuts like butt, less for ribs, wait for the salt to draw miosture and the meat to get moist then apply rub over the salt. That way I can apply as much rub as I want (or as little) and not worry about over- or under-salting.

I usually put some worchestershire on the meat to give it a light coat, not drowning it. The I apply the rub and put it into my plastic pan w/ lid to set. I haven't found that wraping it in plastic is any better.

Nothing. I generally rinse the butt well in plain water, pat dry (it's still damp), apply the rub from a shaker and pat it in well with my hand.

I rinse, then apply rub in a large mixing bowl and apply rub with a large tones shaker mixed with rub.

The bowl contains rub in the bowl from the shaker effect, and rolling the butt in the bowl uses up most of the rub that missed.

Typically, I use mustard. Though, once in a while I'll just rinse, pat dry, and apply the rub as is. Either way seems to work the same for my taste-buds.

I agree with Kevin. Generally I will salt first then apply the rub. As Kevin pointed out this way you can control the amount of salt, It also helps the osmosis of flavours deeper into the meat.

Regards

Adding salt seprately seems to be a good way to adhere the rub but where is a good point to start with the amount of salt to use. Never used salt and rub seprately so not sure how much is to little and how much is about average. I know its a personal taste kind of thing that i need to test out to find out what i like but having a good starting point would speed up the process a good bit.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">but where is a good point to start with the amount of salt to use. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
For ribs, I imagine how I would salt them if they were cooked and given to me to eat devoid of salt. I salt both sides. For brisket it's similar, perhapsslightly heavier. For butt it is fairly heavy since the meat will be pulled and the bark worked into it but the results are not salty at all. I use a lightly salted finishing sauce which gets added to the pork in small quantities as I pull it. The sauce(s) I serve on the side are salted 'normally' but even if used do not make the finished product salty.

You can always err on the side of caution and salt lightly as it does not take much to draw moisture; it just takes a little time.

Thanks for the suggestion I think i have all the info i neeed for my first cook just waiting on the wsm to be delivered.

Back