Your best cook

Bill Mengel

TVWBB Fan
What was your best tasting meal/meat/dish you have cooked on the WSM? Not your favorite thing to cook but it could be that too.
icon_smile.gif
As I think about mine it seems like it's kind of an od one. I don't do these very much but each time I have they aren't bad. However, 1 time they turned out really really great. The best tasting was a country style rib. I cooked them the 3 2 1 method and somehow I did it just right or these were just a extra good piece of pork.

Country style ribs are great on the WSM/kettle/or gasser IMO. They are nothing but sliced up butt anyway for the most part from what I am told.

I would have to say my ribs (spares) are my best cook, and my first choice of what to eat also.
Wifey would say butts.
Still, my worst item IMO is......don't laugh, chicken. I just can't get it to where I am really that happy with it. Crispy skin isn't an issue, we don't eat it.

My wife insists that it is my homemade/homecured pastarmi, but I personally like the baby backs and bacon the best, BUT the pastrami has to be right up there!

Going to sound a little silly, but my most memorable cook on the WSM was the first one. It was two pork butts, pretty true to the Mr. Brown recipe. That was the best meat I've ever eaten in my life. I'm 100% convinced that by the standards I now have, I would have punched endless holes in it, but that one cook raised the bar. Its like so many other "first" things in life, as hard as you try, you can never recreate that first time. Watching the smoke rise from the cooker that early spring day, smelling the wood, meat cooking, sipping a beer was a surreal experience. I can't recreate that anticipation, or the wonder of that cook. I can't recreate the expression on my family's face as sampled the real homemade BBQ for the first time.

Pork butts are still probably my favorite item to cook, they are always well recieved, and so hard to mess up. I especially enjoy cooking them for our annual Relay-for-Life event where I feed our team at the event.

I prefer to eat brisket.

The other memorable cook was at a competition where a Bobcat tractor knocked over my cooker with ribs in it. Lucky for me, I had just foiled them, so damage was minimal and I ended up taking 3rd place that day.

Bob - chicken isn't real food, its just a protein source that provides nourishment. why we're forced to serve it is beyond me.
icon_biggrin.gif

My best cook was my second Boston Butt, which I love and which is so forgivable. I am trying a brisket again this weekend and have never had much success. I love brisket, so one day, that may become my new favorite!

My best cook is essentially my proudest cook. It was the first time I got babyback ribs to have the right combination of looks, taste, and texture.

My personal best (and I haven't been doing this very long) was the third brisket I cooked - it was CAB, and about twice as thick as the first two I had done - the extra thickness was all extra marbled fat. It cooked exactly according to plan, about 1.25 hours/lb at 230 degrees, temps held steady, outside bark was beautiful, the entire flat just pulled apart at the slightest tug, and the point was just long, smoky threads of delicious, glistening shredded beef - yum. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it!

Bill,
That's a tough question. But I have to say this past week end I did my first overnight brisket. A 7 3/4 lb beauty. The wife said it was my best, I may have to agree.

Actually, the first ribs I did with the Weber Kettle. Not because they were better than other cooks since, but because their quality so surprised my son who is a Q aficianodo. He didn't know the old man had it in him to go low and slow!

Dudley

Sounds corny, but whatever my last cook was, seems to be tops. Nothing has come out of the WSM that hasn't been great. I've done Butts, Ribs, (spares and b.backs) and chicken.

I am trying to muster up the nerve for a brisket, because it looks like beef is not as forgiving as pork. I will have to read alot more posts, to get hints and suggestions on that brisket!

My best cook was my first set of Baby Back ribs. I had almost given up on smoking ribs because I kept failing at Spares so I took this past winter off and tried baby's this spring and can't get enough of them.

My best according to my wife and family was my (first) brisket. I was surprised how good it was, tender, moist and still steaming hot after resting. It was my first overnighter. Recipe from Ron Shewchuk's 'Barbecue Secrets' book; foiled at 165, pulled at 190, about 17 hours on the WSM.

That's a tough one! Two specific cooks come to mind. My last brisket - an 8 lb'er done in April was the BEST brisket I've ever had. I'm usually very hard on myself, but everyone who ate it was literally drooling for more.

Then, there was another time last September when I did two whole Boston Butts (BIG ONES!!), Dr. Brown style, for my brother's rehearsal dinner. (Don't you love a brother that requests barbecue instead of filet mignon or something boring like that?) I was SO proud - it was amazingly good, and everyone wanted the recipe. Of course, when they heard how it's really done, most people were just in awe. "20 hours," they said? "Really?" "Well, maybe I'll just stick to buying it from Famous Dave's or Smokey Bones." Their loss. Dr. Brown blows them away!

I'm doing brisket today, and am praying for the same results as the April cook. I have very high expectations after that!

after i get finish cooking on the wsm, i like putting homemade hamburgers on. they are about inch and half thick and about 5 inch across after about 2 hours on the wsm they are so great the family goes wild for them.

Joe mine is the same as yours,my wife bought me the smokey last year and i tryed 2 butts "Mr Brown" and that is all it took,My wife says it is food from the God's lol, infact i'll be putting 2 Butts on tonight

Regards, Mike

Back