You ever smoke for the next day?

Bill S.

TVWBB Pro
My wife thinks I'm nuts. I have a hankering to smoke a flat today. But by the time I would have everything ready to go, ie, getting the flat, making the rub, getting the smoker ready etc, it really wouldn't be ready in time for dinner. Not being a high heat guy. So the question is. Have you ever smoked something knowing that you wouldn't be eating it until the next day.

Short answer is yes.

Like you say, sometimes it's not ready for dinner.

I don't have anythign at all against re-heading pulled pork. Haven't made brisket yet.

Sweet Pammi Sue has a thing about leftovers. I'm pretty sure she would freak if I smoked something for tomorrow!
Bill,can you do an overnighter? I've done that many times. Beats getting up in the middle of the night to start everything!

No issues there at all. In fact, just last weekend, I smoked some salmon and made Larry's Pepper stout beef just for lunches and quick dinners during the week.

I do lots of different kinds of cooking (barbecue being one kind) for parties and other various dinners. As a result barbecue gets reserved for those time when I can't serve something hot off the grill. Relative to other things, barbecue reheats well with little loss of quality.

And for the chef, barbecue always tastes better the next day when your pores have had time to rid themselves of wood smoke and pork/beef grease.

Just grabbed a 5.5 pound flat, smoker is coming up to temp. Should have it on by 11. Figure it should be done by 7 ish. Should be good to go. Just me and my son anyway. Wife doesn't eat bbq. But I keep her anyway...lol. Sidenote..Flats went up to $4.99 a pound around here for CAB. Last time I think it was $3.99 or $4.59. Depending which Price Chopper I went to. Getting up there for a tough piece of meat....lol.

Some over the weekend for a weeks worth of food all the time. Recently did a load of roadside for the weeks lunches and dinners. Butts works well also especially when you do different things for the week like nanchos, enciladas, tacos,sammies, I could go on forever.

Went with a new simple rub I got off the net today. Used two light coatings. I usually go heavy with rubs on flats. I'll see how it turns out.

3 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons black pepper
2 tablespoons tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon mild chili powder

Called for a teaspoon of cumin, but I omitted that. The last time I used it I got an off taste. I also added a bit of brown sugar probably a tablespoon or two.

Are you nuts? Of course you can save the meat for another day. Barbeque actually tastes better the next day.

Considering how long barbeque takes, you pretty much have to cook in advance.

Originally posted by Tom Hinkle:
Are you nuts? Of course you can save the meat for another day. Barbeque actually tastes better the next day.

Considering how long barbeque takes, you pretty much have to cook in advance.

lol...I don't mean save for the next day.. Flats I cook on the weekend usually last me and my son until Wed. or Thurs. I meant cooking for the next day. I actually prefer brisket the second day on.

Originally posted by Al Silverman:
Why don't ya give the high heat method a try? What's the worst thing that could happen?

Al

I made the mistake of having the butcher trim it today because of the price. Told him to leave a 1/4 inch cap but he over trimmed and left it about half bare. So I don't think it would be suitable for HH anyway. The ones in the case had no fat at all, so I asked for one still in the cryo, I should have watched him. Oh well, what can you do. It should do fine with low and slow though.

I think next day is fine. Home made bbq is still pretty good even when it's not the best. With sauces, I think all home made ones are better if they are refrigerated overnight, so I always try to make them a day earlier.

On another note, I did a HH packer about a month ago that had very little fat on the flat section. Tasted fine but never got tender, only choices with it were tough and tougher. It was the only packer at the store so I bought it, but next time I'll look elsewhere before settling.

Came out pretty good for being over trimmed. Rub was pretty good too. I would add a bit more brown sugar next time though. Pulled it off about 6:30. Ran at 250 or just above.

Back