Yet Another Brisket Thread

Stefan B

TVWBB All-Star
So, i'm making my first brisket this coming weekend. I've read most brisket threads on here and got tons of great info. I do however have a few questions..

6 lbs good amount for 5 people? Regarding how long to keep wood going, about 50% of cooking time? Rough cooking time 1.5hrs per lb? If i'm going to put it in a cooler for a few hours before slicing pulling it off the grill @ ~195-200 okay?

Sure i'll have more questions throughout the week.

Fingers crossed my shipment of brisket rub arrives from Bill @ Real Texas BBQ Rub.

Thanks in advance for all the great replies
wsmsmile8gm.gif

You won't be dissapointed with the rub. Why smoke such a small brisket? There are tons of opinions out there, but here's my $0.02. Why smoke such a small amount of meat? I have had better cooks with a whole brisket (12 to 15 lbs) than the flats. Yeah sure it takes a little while longer, but the meat freezes well and next time all you have to do it thaw it out. Have a good smoke.

Stefan, you realize you'll lose about 30-40% when cooking ??? I'm like Clay cook a bigger one and have some left overs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stefan B:
Okay i'm going with a bigger slab of meat.

Any insight on any of the other questions? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Would love to help, but I can't find the other questions.

I prefer packers as well but 6 lbs is fine for 5 people.

Put your wood on at the outset. However long it goes is fine. No need to time it (50% of the time, etc.).

Cooking time will depend on actual cook temp and thickness of the cut. You can ballpark 1.5 hours/lb if cooking low/slow, but plan for enough time. The meat can rest, well-wrapped and toweled, and will hold fine for some time, if done earlier than planned.

Remove the meat when it is tender. (I don't bother temping at all.) Start checking below the bottom end of your targeted temp range, like ~190, and feel what the meat feels like as you insert your probe. When it is tender the probe will go in effortlessly, irrespective of temp.

I got great advice from Paul_H Here.

Basically, it is done when it is done. Temp is only a guideline.

I am using this advice with all cooks. Basically if it looks ready and feels ready, it probably is ready. Every meat and temp is sooo different and can vary.

Stefan, I usually smoke about 20 briskets a year. I've settled in on an average of just over an hour per pound for a 13 to 17 lb whole packer at temps ranging between 225 to 250. I never had to wait for the full 1.5 hours per pound, not sure why. Just be sure to use touch as the barometer for when the meat is done, not temperature.

When I first started smoking briskets, I tried to have hard temperature numbers to know when to pull, but that is bogus. With that said, 95% of the time my briskets are done between 190 and 195 internal flat temp. I do not foil ever while the brisket is in the smoker, only when I remove. I also prefer to let the brisket rest for 2 to 3 hours, wrapped in foil.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out. Beware, the addiction is coming...

Thanks for the advise ya'll.

Pick up a 11.64lbs hunk of meat today which cost $58.00 ($5per/lb)

Already trimmed it up and will rub it down later.

Going to get it on the grill tomorrow evening around 11pm. Should be a balmy -21c / -6f.
icon_eek.gif

I'll start a new thread in the 'photo gallery' later this evening.

That looks like it will taste great.Let me know when it's ready and I'll send my brother over for some that he can ship to me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Pick up a 11.64lbs hunk of meat today which cost $58.00 ($5per/lb) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Holy Cow(no pun intended) $5/lb
icon_eek.gif
. I'd never eat brisket at that price. I could get a great steak for that.

You cant get $5 per lb steaks where I live. I cant remember the last time I had steak.

Stefan, I cooked at least 50 briskets before I cooked a great one. I had a tough time figuring them out but now they are one of the easiest meats for us to cook, you just need to find a method and rub that you like. For instance some like this rub, some love that, but I never have found a store bought brisket rub that I loved and I have tried many. Some like fast, I like slow, some dont foil, I do. It comes down to finding something that YOU like.

There is plenty of great advice here and my best advice is to experiment.

Let me go to the opposite end of this. I've only cooked 3 briskets and they all came out fabulous (review courtesy of 10 Texas brisket afficianados -- in other works, they know brisket and loved it!

Do use a probe thermometer to 195 and then test with an instant read for tenderness.

Do smoke in the 225 - 250 range and expect anywhere from 8 - 12 hours.

Do pack in your cooler wrapped in foil and covered above and below with 4 - six folded towels. It will keep the heat easily for hours.

Good choice to go with the full packer. Don't overcook -- it can only begin drying out.

Good luck, have fun, I find brisket is really easy to get right if you pay attention.

Rich

Well my 51st brisket was fairly good. Most of my family and friends thought my first 50 were good, but not me. OK tasting and edible, yes, but not anywhere near fabulous.
Now I think my brisket is championship quality.

Stefan, you inspired me to get off my rear and do a brisket. Started my brisket at 6:00am this morning and just got done eatin it. Started at 12 lbs before trimming, in the smoker from 6:30 till 5:30. that's probably just a tad over 1 hour per pound, and it was tasty.

I about freaked when I saw you paid $5.00 per pound, but then realized your in Canada. not sure how beef prices are up there. i know when I bought mine on Friday at Sams, I paid $2.28 per pound, which is way up. Normally, they're like $1.78 per pound down here. Next time you're in the states, stock on briskets!

Dale, you da man!!!!
wsmsmile8gm.gif
I buy the steaks when they are on sale. Even the wife ,who is not a big meat eater,likes them on occasion.I guess I'm going to have not only try your chicken now but the brisket also.
icon_smile.gif

Back