yellow smoke

Al Howell

I know i have seen this topic before but could not find it when i searched---I have cooked on my wsm for approximately 10 times---during the last two times, i notice the color of the smoke had a yellow tint to it--for the first 5 smokes, i used soaked chunks of hickory and pecan---i quite as i thought i remembered this would cause yellow smoke---but i am just now seeing the yellow smoke---please advise as to how to get rid of it or if it is bad or not---meat still tastes great---

Are you sure your smoke wood is not green (as in not dry)? Typically you'll get a white smoke early on in the firing of a wsm, but then the smoke goes to be almost invisible. I've never had yellow smoke.

Did it stay that way for a long time or was it just for a very short while? Maybe some grease of something left from the last cook???

the wood was dry i think--it came from academy sports--a bag of hickory chunks---the yellow smoke didnt smart until about 1/2 way through the smoke----it wasnt a bright yellow, but definately a yellow tint---could it be that i have a creosode(sp) build up?

just a thought---

thanks

I think I would check the inside of the lid to make sure there isn't any flaking (if so, brush it off) then do a high heat cook - like a chicken, with a foiled pan and no water. Then see if on your next low cook you get any yellow smoke.

The only other thing I could think of is if you are foiling your pan and using water, a leak in the foil will cause a wicking effect and dribble water onto the coals. Not sure if that's happening in your case, but something to consider.

Yellow Smoke?? Have you been going where the huskies go?

icon_biggrin.gif
icon_eek.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_eek.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_eek.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_eek.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_eek.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_eek.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_eek.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_eek.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_eek.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_eek.gif

Frank Zappa

Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Doug D:
Frank Zappa

Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can always count on Doug to get the good information.
icon_biggrin.gif

Back