yellow bar b kettle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason in California

Closed Account
i picked up an old yellow bar b kettle this week just cleaned it up and took some shots. got it from some girl who was moving out of her apt in marina del rey. asked her where she got it from and she said her friend gave it to her a few years ago. it is pretty well used and banged up but here's the pics:

is there a way to replace these bottom vents with newer ones? one of them spins very easily and is flattened out so it does not fit the shape of the bowl snugly. another is pretty stuck and hard to move.

<deleted photobucket link>

the lid is in good shape for the most part.

The vents I bought from Weber bolt on. If they have the size you need, I would think that you could drill the old out and attach the new. That is a classic! Nice find.

Mark

Great find Jason! If you ever consider parting with it email me.
icon_cool.gif

Jason, those vents are replaceable. They run about $3 each from Weber. You get the Vent, a screw and a nut to attach them. If I remember right I ordered 3 for my 1999 Weber and also got a white leg cap and 2 wheel cap/nuts.

it looks great to me. i like to keep as much original as possible. vents clean up easily and can be rebent into shape with a little patience. i've done ones that were badly bent. drill out rivets or cut the old bolts with a dremel. replace with ss bolts. a trick to make the bolts/nuts lock on is to damage the threads a little, the nuts will stay on.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
it looks great to me. i like to keep as much original as possible. vents clean up easily and can be rebent into shape with a little patience. i've done ones that were badly bent. drill out rivets or cut the old bolts with a dremel. replace with ss bolts. a trick to make the bolts/nuts lock on is to damage the threads a little, the nuts will stay on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I agree with george 100%
remove the old vents, bend back into shape and fasten with bolts.
OR
ship that piece of junk HERE
icon_razz.gif

VeryNice pick-up Jason!
Congrats!!!

thanks for the advice guys. i guess i used the wrong word...it isn't really banged up, but there are those round bits of porcelain missing all around the bowl. the lid is actually really nice although it takes a little bit of maneuvering to make it fit snug.

i'm about to light a hot bed of coals inside with the match light coals she gave me with the kettle. then i'll scoop out all the leftover ash and gunk and see about those bolts that hold in the bottom vents.

Nice find Jason...thats a pretty rare and hard to find grill. Its not that bad overall! Before you drill those rivets out to replace the vents, try cleaning them up first. Use some "0000" steel wool on them. They will clean up better than you think. As far as them being out of shape, as the others have said, they bend back pretty easily. You can also bend the tab on top, and small "stopper" tabs on the backside back into shape easily.
As for them being stuck, or frozen in place, once you clean it up inside, and spray with some Liquid Wrench or other penetrating liquid, they should loosen up nicely!

Good luck

PS...That "0000" steel wool works wonders on cleaning up the outside of the grill too without scratching it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back