Yay! Our first long smoke

Luke here, and it's 4:00 a.m. local time. We ended up putting on 2 butts - one at 8lb and one at just under 6lb. This is our first "extended smoke" on our WSM. We cooked some chicken thighs for about 1.5 hrs the night we got it and were impressed then by how it held such a steady temp. Just for the fun, we left everything the way it was on the smoker and it was still holding steady 3 hours later. We then had confidence in our new addition.

Anyway, on to the reason for the post. We're about 6 hours into the cook and it's going great so far. We have 2 butts, an 8lb on the top rack and a 5.8 on the bottom. I just refilled the water pan because the temp started rising a little bit and the water was running low. So far it's brought it back down a little too far so I opened up the bottom vents to 100%. They've been that way for about 20 mins, so I'm about to go see what the thermo reads now to make adjustments.

We started off with the Minion Method, smoking with hickory, and we've just been horribly impressed by how easy and perfect everything's going! If we'd have known that just one little WSM would make life this easy...

So anyway, I'll keep you posted on how everything turns out, just a little early morning insomnia after smelling all the smoke and pig again. This has me almost as excited as Christmas morning! later everyone

Good for you guys!

As you've found the WSM is a great little cooker. Lets us know how it turns out and remember everyone loves pictures. Post 'em if ya got 'em.

BTW - that Christmas feeling never really goes away.

Tom

Sweet. We're resting the butts now. All of 'em - heh heh. Extremely pleased with the look and feel of both of them, they cooked for almost 14 hours. The smaller one barely came off the rack in one piece - it wanted to fall apart in my hands. We'll post pics once they've rested and been pulled - a couple of the butts whole and then of the pulled results. Til then,

Looks really good. I hope you have some cole slaw and such to go along with that pulled pork. You probably should have pulled the smaller one off a little sooner, but a butt is hard to mess up as you have now seen. Enjoy!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Luke and Bethany:
Luke here, and it's 4:00 a.m. local time. We ended up putting on 2 butts </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Luke, 4-AM??? The reason we buy WSM's (besides the great food) is so we can be sound asleep at 4AM. Trust your cooker and get some sleep, hehe.

Back