Yay or nay???

It’s funny, but there’s a reoccurring theme in every Smokefire thread the internet over....

Those that have never owned nor used one, are the biggest naysayers. They read it on the internet and that’s just all there is to it. Everything is better because someone said so. It’s bizarre, although being a Dodge/Chrysler guy it’s much the same....everyone has an opinion until you challenge them, then they tuck tail and run.

Things like “there is no all-in-one replacement”. Yes there is, it’s called Smokefire. “It’s not head and shoulders above”. Yes it is. Every heavy pellet user has said the same thing, out of all the pellets they’ve used, Smokefire produces better results. They may hate the unit, but they almost all say the same thing. Just....odd

Great start but is your Mom happy?
She is very happy and looking forward to using it. Next weekend she wants to try chicken on it. My nephew and I did all the cooking yesterday. But my mom wants to get hands on next weekend and use it. My nephew is also looking forward to trying more things on it. I'd say everyone is very happy with it. I plan to go over next weekend just to be around in case it decides act up for some reason.

So while I was at work tonight I get a text from my nephew with a couple of pictures. Apparently my mom decided to do some beans on the smokefire. Also a couple of other things. I mentioned before that we're supposed to be doing chicken next weekend on her new cooker so we can go over stuff. She was really amazed by the versatility. In one of my pictures the pan you see was making cornbread. And the cornbread turned out just fine. Which really surprised her. So I guess she decided she liked it enough that she was going to play with it before next weekend.
Meh. Most of my friends have pellet machines. Been grilling for 40 years without all the contraptionness (I think I made that word up). For $1,000, or whatever, just don't feel the need.
As for the quoted text above, I love cooking on Stick burners, charcoal, propane, campfires, stove tops, ovens, and anything else. And now pellets. Made great food on all of them. You may not "feel the need" and that's fine. There are purists out there who will never except nor try to understand other stuff. But then a purest would also say, why do you need a grill. Grab a shovel dig a hole. Grab two sticks rub them together until you have embers and spark. Then hunt, grow, or catch your own dinner. And manage the temperature in the hole that was dug trying to prepare the meal. 🤔

All of this "contraptionness (I think I made that word up)" seems to have made things really good for different people with different needs. I for example like flipping a switch and sing lights turn on. Just saying.

Last edited:
Well said Jason. I don’t understand limiting ones self....frugality maybe but if one can swing it, why not? Only one trip on this Earth. Food off a stick burner is different than a charcoal, which is different whether using briquettes or lump, and different from pellet, etc.

Glad to hear your mom is enjoying it so far!

I'm junior admin on a Facebook group for the Smokefire. The guys that started it don't tolerate hostile behavior in the group and there's a friendly bunch of very experienced users there willing to answer any question. Our member generated FAQ is a collection of tips, tricks, and lessons learned that's very helpful to new, and old, owners. I don't know if you or your Mom are interested but if you are I think you'll like it. Weber SmokeFire WoodFired Pellet Grill: Owners Group.

I'm junior admin on a Facebook group for the Smokefire. The guys that started it don't tolerate hostile behavior in the group and there's a friendly bunch of very experienced users there willing to answer any question. Our member generated FAQ is a collection of tips, tricks, and lessons learned that's very helpful to new, and old, owners. I don't know if you or your Mom are interested but if you are I think you'll like it. Weber SmokeFire WoodFired Pellet Grill: Owners Group.
I don’t do FB Lew but I sure am glad you are here??
Jason I’m also really happy your mom loves the SF, I love mine as well, I have really enjoyed going back to basics with some charcoal too.

I don’t do FB Lew but I sure am glad you are here??
Jason I’m also really happy your mom loves the SF, I love mine as well, I have really enjoyed going back to basics with some charcoal too.
Bruno, I'm glad I'm here, been here a while, and don't plan on leaving. This is a good group of folks and I get to stay in touch with what's happening in the St. Louis area through some of our members. Go Cards.

I posted some stuff earlier. And that stuff came out good. Well we decided to do more stuff. That stuff turned out really good also. Here's a picture of more stuff 🙃😎

IMG_20210731_150320483.jpg
After that there was some more stuff. Here's a picture of more stuff. everyone took home leftovers and is very very happy. apparently tomorrow we're supposed to do more stuff. Lots of stuff happening.IMG_20210731_165025039.jpg

Alright everyone. I'm going to try and post something more substantial based on everyone's advice and my own experience. And I'm going to try and keep it short and to the pointe. In the first pots I asked a question. And that was can the SmokeFire replace two things, and is it worth it. Here's what I got.
My EX6 is my only outdoor cooker. It replaced 2 WSMs, a Performer, and a pellet grill. Weber over promised and under delivered. They have fixed most of the mechanical shortcomings but the software is still buggy. If she goes that way then plan on assembling it for her. BILT app. Retailers are notorious for assembling the fire pot incorrectly and that immediately causees temp control problems. Some get it right but not many. If your Mom enjoys learning new stuff and learns how to operate it properly then it could be a fit. Now that people have been operating this for over a year the heavy users are starting to see metal erosion in their flame arrester and the pellet slide that feeds the fire pot. Mine is holding up but I'm not a heavy user. Fortunately, Weber honors their guarantee.
Thank you Lew. An honest answer from an actual user. And not what I put in bold.
Well there wasn't an all in one pellet grill but I think this is about as close as you will get.

The Slmlokefire was expensive enough :)

Jason and I don't own a Smokefire and no offense to anyone who does. I have read every thread on SmokeFires do you really want to buy this for your mother with the issues they have as Lew pointed out now heavy users have with metal erosiion really does not make any sense to me to buy this unless you do not like your mother which again I am sure you do. :) I don't care about their warranty yes they will replace those parts but this thing has not been around that long what happens 4 years from now when the warranty is gone nobody knows and the problems are showing up more and more as the time goes on.

There are dedicated users here like Lew they are willing to put up with this thing, is your mother willing to put up with it? My guess is you will spend your time helping your mother whether its the app or whatever. I have said this many times and certainly people can disagree, there is no all in one pellet grill Weber tried give them credit but the exucition just did not work. Plenty of pellet grills that will satisfy her needs for less money hard to replace the gasser for the convenience at least in my house the gasser will not go away.
Notice what I put in bold and take from it what you want. I have also read every thread and was one of the biggest naysayers after the dog and pony $h!t show Weber put out for its launch. Yea, I stand by my criticisms of how bad Weber screwed the pouch on the launch. And I don't give them a pass for it. But after using this cooker I believe its one of the most versatile things you can get.

Gas grills for convenience. Add a pellet tube for smoke. I might buy my mother-in-law a pellet machine, but not my mom :ROFLMAO:.
I beleive I adressed this in a previous post. Also I like to turn on the light when I walk into a room.

I can burn the skin of a wing:
View attachment 33419

Or not burn the skin of wings, all depending on the process:
View attachment 33420

A very interesting element of that wing cook: if a friend made them and said their fuel was charcoal I would never know the truth.

I'm completely pleased thus far!
Yup. I have put the SmokeFire cooker through its paces in the last couple weeks. It can do that and more. I'm finding it to be the all in one that I was hoping it would be to replace the smoker and propane grill. You can look through the picks in this tread to verify :0

I can do that as well especially the burnt part. I don't need no new fangled plug in grill either.
No offense I could do that on my performer if you want to burn the skin on the wings just throw them on top of the baskets. If thats a pork tenderloin thats no big deal either again this can all be done on a performer do wings and pork tenderlon's all the time. A couple of small hickory chunks for a bit of smoke not alot but my family does not like alot of smoke and chicken does not absorb all that much anyway.
So can I along with many others. No offence but this added nothing to the topic. See my precious post about cooking on deferent things and turning on a light.
It’s funny, but there’s a reoccurring theme in every Smokefire thread the internet over....

Those that have never owned nor used one, are the biggest naysayers.
They read it on the internet and that’s just all there is to it. Everything is better because someone said so. It’s bizarre, although being a Dodge/Chrysler guy it’s much the same....everyone has an opinion until you challenge them, then they tuck tail and run.

Things like “there is no all-in-one replacement”. Yes there is, it’s called Smokefire. “It’s not head and shoulders above”. Yes it is. Every heavy pellet user has said the same thing, out of all the pellets they’ve used, Smokefire produces better results. They may hate the unit, but they almost all say the same thing. Just....odd
Yup,

Its kindof funny you mention that. I joined the factbook group about a week ago and this morning found out my Mom did also. I saw you posting there before you left the link here. Today I left some pictures of what we did with the SmokeFire and you left a like. I suppose if now you know my last name now also.;) Amusing you put two and two together.

OK, rambaling over. Told you it would be short.

Wow. There was a lot more to my post but the character limit cut me off and I cut and snipped to the point that it made not much sense. But I think you get the idea

Back