Yay or Nay on this Platinum C?

GavinH

TVWBB Member
Hi,
This is on our local auction site. (New Zealand)
$100 is actually $70 USD
Is it worth it without having had a look inside ?

Cheers
trademe weber.JPG

Welcome to TVWBB Gavin!

I think that it is well worth it, even if just for the stainless frame. It looks like it has potential to be much more than that. There are a number of threads here where members have dealt with a rusty bottom, so even if it has that, there are fixes.

Last edited:
Yah, that is the best Genesis grill made of the old style grills. You will likely find the cabinet is rusted out pretty bad, but the grill otherwise is pretty much a forever grill as the rest is stainless steel and aluminum.

Well, it's an auction, so who knows where the price will go. Buying something sight unseen is always a crapshoot.

At an auction, I always decide the maximum amount I am willing to pay, and most of the time the price goes beyond that so I keep looking. It's easy to get swept away if you don't set a limit.

It's hard to say what the value of this is...it is so dependent on your area, what the going price is, how bad you want it, and how often these show up.

Last edited:
Yah, that is the best Genesis grill made of the old style grills. You will likely find the cabinet is rusted out pretty bad, but the grill otherwise is pretty much a forever grill as the rest is stainless steel and aluminum.

Is the frame on those stainless? and then the sides and floor not stainless?

$70 USD is a great price for that grill. How handy/DIY oriented are you? If it hasn't been well maintained, it will probably need some things as these grills are now over 15 years old.

I'll watch what the other bidders do, hopefully the price doesn't go silly.
I'm keen to get my hands dirty and do whatever is needed to get it right.

I recently acquired a very tidy 20 y.o Silver A and really like it, so if I miss out I will still have that.

Yah, your best bet is that it looks like hell inside. Your main concern is the frame which may be dirty, but will shine up just beautifully. And you don't have to worry about hidden rust inside or outside of the frame bars. The cabinet is likely a disaster, but that is expected and if so, will deter most buyers/bidders. You would likely want to remove the floor, sides and back along with the doors. Then convert it to an open cart grill with a wire bottom shelf or some other floor like trex style composite deck slats. But, you will have to fab in two cross member to replace the bracing that the cabinet provided. Something like these. There is very little left to rust on these grills.20190731 Stainless Steel Platinum (1).JPG20210820_140057.jpg20210820_140254.jpg:

Yes, very worth it. You can always convert it into an open cart if the cabinet rusting out (which most of the time it is).

Just a follow up...
It was a pretty hot item and sold with loads of bids.
There are obviously plenty of people in my area who wanted it.
Too much for me, which I'm fine with. I don't really want to get rid of anything so that saved me a dilemma
bbq sold.JPG

Thanks for the follow-up! These are in high demand and command a high price in certain parts of the US, too, especially in damp or wet areas where rust is an issue.

$265AU is about $193USD, seems to be a fair price from what I've seen here, although not in my area.

Without seeing the inside of the cabinet, it might not be too bad of a price, but likely it is full of rust. If you are patient and willing to drive, you will likely find one for under $100. I have bought 3 of them. None over $50.

Back