WTB black lid correctly refinished

Didier Joseph

I have a Silver C grill and I tried to refinish the top but it just didn't come out right. Everything else is absolutely perfect.

I was wondering if someone with more skill than me would be willing to sell me a black angled lid correctly refinished. It doesn't really matter whether the alloy end caps are included although it's probably easier if they are.

Any chance someone would have mercy on me and sell me one that's done properly?

Many thanks!

If you used the steel wool and simple green to clean it then its the dreaded fade I think that is what you are talking about it can't be fixed the Silver C I picked up has the same thing. Maybe someone here has one maybe even locally there are a lot of people on this board who live in that area.

Joseph,

Posting a picture, just so we can all be sure of exactly what you are looking for, would be helpful. Check out Imgur.com where you can upload pictures and then copy and paste links here so we can see them.

What exactly do you mean by "refinish" in reference to the porcelain lid? Pretty much all you can do with those is clean them thoroughly. Like many others here, I would recommend Simple Green and 0000 steel wool for that. You can do some amazing things with just these if you are patient enough to work thoroughly and get all the accumulated grease and dirt off. If the porcelain is truly faded - white speckles/dull - there is nothing you can do about that. Of course, the end caps can be stripped and repainted on the outside to look brand new.

Maybe you can fill in a little more detail so we can better give you advice and see if anyone here has a hood they would sell you at a reasonable price. There are some other active members in Massachusetts, so maybe you could even work out something to avoid shipping which would be a bit costly in and of itself.

Yah, if you didn't destroy your lid trying to clean it up, then you still might have a chance to bring it back. The lid is porcelain coated and if you just tried painting it or something, then you can easily take it off with some paint thinner. Then it is just some simple green and #0000 steel wool and it should look almost new when done....unless it has the dreaded "fade" or "oxidation" as I like to call it. Then, if you are not willing to live with it, you will need to replace it.

If you can't find someone local to your area to help you out with a hood, then just keep an eye on CL and FB marketplace. You will eventually find a cheap donor grill for free or real cheap and you can cannibalize the hood from that grill. Any silver B/C or Genesis 1000-5000 lid should fit your grill and they are very common.

Shipping a hood is probably cost prohibitive or I could send you a Redhead. Best to find one local from another member or keep your eyes peeled for a donor grill.

Yah, if you didn't destroy your lid trying to clean it up, then you still might have a chance to bring it back. The lid is porcelain coated and if you just tried painting it or something, then you can easily take it off with some paint thinner. Then it is just some simple green and #0000 steel wool and it should look almost new when done....unless it has the dreaded "fade" or "oxidation" as I like to call it. Then, if you are not willing to live with it, you will need to replace it.

If you can't find someone local to your area to help you out with a hood, then just keep an eye on CL and FB marketplace. You will eventually find a cheap donor grill for free or real cheap and you can cannibalize the hood from that grill. Any silver B/C or Genesis 1000-5000 lid should fit your grill and they are very common.

Shipping a hood is probably cost prohibitive or I could send you a Redhead. Best to find one local from another member or keep your eyes peeled for a donor grill.

I don't mind paying the shipping. The rest of the grill came out great but I tried spraying the lid with ceramic paint and it's just flaking off. I give up!!

I agree with Bruce on both the recommendation to just remove the paint or to go for a cheap donor. If you painted over the hood you currently have (a no-no:eek:), I guess it must have been in poor condition. If so, then I would go for a donor. You will get a hood you can use and hopefully some other useful parts to use or sell off.

Back