WTB-22” ash catcher

Timothy F. Lewis

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Need to upgrade the secondary 22” kettle and I’m looking for an ash catcher assembly (ring and bucket), not really wanting to drop $60 for the catcher on a kettle I only spent ten bucks for.
I’m considering moving this kettle to the deck and I think it would help keep the scuzz off the deck. I’m not sure if I want to do that or not but, I still prefer the bucket system to letting ash just blow out of the “hubcap”.
Am I just being cheap? Go ahead, I can take it.

I have to agree. For $70 you’ll have a 22 inch kettle with an ash bucket?
I went ahead and bought the ash bucket to retrofit under a 26inch flattop, and i think it was worth it.

Alright alright, I get it! Maybe after I restock the charcoal. But, to be clear, the kettle is far from pristine! And it will not be a daily use unit, well who knows?

Timothy

If you buy the new ash catcher assembly, be sure you buy the older style one.
I retrofitted an older Weber 22" BBQ with the newer ash catcher assembly and I don't really like it.
Good videos on Youtube on how to install them.

Alright alright, I get it! Maybe after I restock the charcoal. But, to be clear, the kettle is far from pristine! And it will not be a daily use unit, well who knows?
I treat charcoal like toilet paper, I never wanna run out of it, so I never do, just saying.

Timothy

If you buy the new ash catcher assembly, be sure you buy the older style one.
I retrofitted an older Weber 22" BBQ with the newer ash catcher assembly and I don't really like it.
Good videos on Youtube on how to install them.
What didn't you like about it?

Size really, it’s small and the way it clips into the ring is cheaply designed, the old one with the square bottom has greater capacity and it turns to remove non of the “squeeze” to release nonsense. It’s just a better design as far as I’m concerned.
Took a few times to get used to it, I actually like it now as its a straight shot up and in versus making sure everything is lined up for the spin.

I freely confess none of my kettles, etc are what you might call ‘pristine’.....grin.
But as I tell my wife, Martha won’t be stopping by this weekend, anyway (As in Martha Stewart).

Size really, it’s small and the way it clips into the ring is cheaply designed, the old one with the square bottom has greater capacity and it turns to remove non of the “squeeze” to release nonsense. It’s just a better design as far as I’m concerned.
I concur, preferring the older style to the newer ‘squeeze’ style, it’s awkward taking it off and then again re-attaching it.

Back