WSMs rule the cold!!!

Sometimes, our Home Depot has some left from the previous season and our Sams always has some on hand.

Bill

That's strange Scott and Bill. I live in Madison Wisconsin and Home Depot Stocks the 2 X 20lbs packages all year around. They do only keep it up front right behind where you check out on the huge shelves that are throughout the store.

If one went looking for it by the grill section here in Madison you wouldn't find it. I picked up a bag the other week and I called before going there and the guy say there was one bag left so I flew over to store and it was busted up pretty good but through it on the cart. When I went to check out that's when I noticed that they stock behind the checkout.

If I recall that's the same location in the store where I bought it during the summer. I don't think they bring it in too far into the store, kind of like the soft water salt they leave by the exits on pallets. Could be different in the NY?

Jonny,

I think it's probably a regional/manager issue. Most places here in western NY don't carry charcoal unless it's a specialty store like Aventures in Heat over in Clarence. Sam's in Niagara Falls always seems to have some through the Winter but it's hit and miss with Home Depot year to year.

Bill

Here in the middle of Washington, D.C. (and I live in the city itself), the grocery stores tend not to have charcoal either in the winter - except whole foods which has lump charcoal. The Home Depot nearby does have the 2 x 20 lb bags (like the Madison one) but they are located on an endcap in the garden section. I was in Cincinnati, Ohio for the holidays and in suburban Cincinnati, the grocery store I sent into (Kroger's) did have it. I too think it might be regional.

Getting a little off-topic but... if you can find a restaurant supply store that sells to the public (or you have a friend with a restaurant who can buy it for you), they seem to stock charcoal year-round. At least, the one I go to does, with both briquettes and lump available at better-than-WalMart prices.

David F.,

Just curious do you work and in retail? The average Joe is not familiar with the term "End Cap", even though they may know what one is.

My used to be a buyer for Sears Corporate that's the only reason I know.

Just thinking out loud.

Has anyone experienced this as well.... The other day when I was smoking my first butt when I lifted the lid to mop the temp of the meat would drop 3 or 4 degrees. I was half asleep the first time I mopped but was almost positive it did but the second time I know for sure it dropped. So didn't mop the rest of the time. And it wasn't anywhere near as cold as it was for Dan. Only around 35*

I thankfully stored up on charcoal. Here in Denver it has been miserable this winter. I only had the option of a smoke last week, ribs. Lit one of the best fires I have ever lit, Minion hit 235 at the lid and stayed there for six hours. Best of my relatively few 20 smokes.

Peace,

Mike, you folks had better start warming up things in Denver right now - I'll be there tomorrow and I don't have a Denver wardrobe here in Atlanta!

Rita
icon_eek.gif

We should have Chris link to this in the Cooking In The Wind, Rain & Cold section. Anytime a newcomer asks about smoking in winter, we should point them to that picture of the 40 below reading on the thermometer.

Back