WSM vs Big Green Egg

G

I asked a question a few weeks ago about the WSM vs the Ranch Kettle. I have decided on the WSM over the kettle, but still am considering a BGE. Does anyone have any experience with the Egg for great Q. Obviously they claim it does great Q on their forum but I'd like to check here also.

Thanks
John

Searching this forum on "WSM BGE" yields 7 pages of results, many containing posts along this line over the years.

Just in case you want to go trawling for past comments.

Regards,
Chris

For the money
icon_smile.gif
= WSM.

Everyone I know who has a BGE loves it. Only problems they report to me are the weight,the large is quight heavy, and capacity ,only one rack. So, if you won't need to move it alot or the room to make alot in it, use i'm sure you will love it too. With good lump charcoal I've heard you can go a few months on one bag, and thats using it several times a week. If I didn't compete and was only allowed one grill/smoker I'd seriously be thinking about a BGE.

I agree with joseph. Cost was the deciding factor for me. I narrowed my choice down to the bge and the wsm. I went with the wsm and never looked back. Another deciding factor was this site. I could tell people on this site had a passion for the wsm. I did not sense the same intense passion on the bge site.

I have a large BGE. It's a great smoker and ok grill. I use it for all low temp cooking and indirect cooking with a platesetter setup. I roast vegies at higher temps too.

A few advantages of the ceramic cookers are:
1. You can load it with charcoal and cook for over 24 hours without adding more charcoal. I don't cook anything for 24 hours, but I never worry if a big butt goes 18.
2. You don't need wind screens or blankets. It holds the temp pretty well.
3. You don't need a water pan. You do need a platesetter, pizza stone or fire bricks to deflect the direct heat though.

Drawbacks:
1. Cost, $700 ? for a full setup for a large.
2. It's not mobile. It's heavy. A large weighs 140lbs.

"With good lump charcoal I've heard you can go a few months on one bag, and thats using it several times a week." -Wrong. Not unless you have a 200lb bag. You'll use just as much as you would with any other smoker or grill.

I knew nothing about the BGE until I saw this strange looking thing on my neighbor's deck and then we began to talk about it. The egg definitely has a lot of benefits, most importantly, its fuel eficiency and heat retention. However, I'm going to echo a previous comment. What led me to the WSM was this site. Also, since I was a complete newbie to bbq, I didn't want to spend three times the amount to find out if I liked it. This website helps take out the guess work of bbq'ing. I think I've seen my neighbor use the BGE once. I haven't offered him a bbq challenge yet. But I might.

I would not mind having one of the ceramic cookers. Besides the BGE, Primo, Kamodo, and Grill Dome also make them. It looks great for pizza and breads.

389 that thing got 3 2's and a 4 speed?

I have a #3 Kamado, 15" grill, that I have been cooking on since 1975. It is a great grill for about 4 people. I also do things like beer butt chicken. It needs a heat deflector under the chicken or anything you are baking so the direct heat doesn't burn it. It uses only a16 to a maximum of 25 briquets to cook but on longer cooks needs added fuel every couple of hours. I wouldn't trade it but It does not serve the same function as the WSM for slow cooking. Never done the BGE so this may not apply to it.

From what I've read, I'd love to add a BGE or ceramic style cooker to my arsenal. Personally, I've been tempted to get the Grill Dome, but I hear they're all great. Now after saying that, I have to also say that the WSM is AWESOME!!!!! It holds temps steady, makes good use of charcoal (1 load can burn from 10-16 hours), and has two grills for space. The price is also a lot less and I can easily move it from the back yard to the front porch to smoke on a rainy day.

Back