wsm vs BGE

doug gillis

TVWBB Fan
I originally wanted a BGE but the price scared me off. I uderstand that the komado style cookers are great- perhaps the best from my readings. I'm just wondering how the wsm stacks up or compares to them? Maybe it's a preference thing here!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by doug gillis:
I originally wanted a BGE but the price scared me off. I uderstand that the komado style cookers are great- perhaps the best from my readings. I'm just wondering how the wsm stacks up or compares to them? Maybe it's a preference thing here! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As a smoker 'ceramic' cookers and WSM's are equal from a finished product and set it and forget it aspect.

Ceramic cookers excel from an efficient and grill/smoker stand point. A WSM will burn through about twice as much fuel for the same length cook that a Ceramic will use. Ceramics are more universal than a WSM and can be used as a grill, smoker or oven.

If you're looking for a smoker specifically, then a WSM is the way to go. If you want to grill, smoke and bake then I'd opt for the ceramic.

i would prefer both. as mentioned, if yer into a more complete unit, then the bge is best if you can afford it. but i have seen on other lists folks doing everything mentioned on their weber kettles. maybe experiment and be more inventive.

The Egg's are great. Very versatile. And they do save on fuel. So that does offset the costs eventually.

I am going to an eggfest here in San Jose, CA next weekend. 25 large BGE's and about 300 attendees. It should be fun.

My .02:

My personal assessment between the two when I looked closely is the eggs are SUPER efficient especially in cold weather. They both get the job done. The undeniable advantages of the WSM are portability and they're a fraction of the cost. You'd have to use an egg forever to make up for the savings over a WSM in charcoal. Particularly the larger ones.

As an aside shouldn't we adjust "My .02" to like at least "My .22" due to inflation?
icon_cool.gif

I've never heard anyone not like a BGE and maybe not all, but at lot would like to have them - maybe even over a WSM. HOWEVER, you nailed it - they cost a lot of money. I think the WSM is absolutely the best balance of cost and value. The weight is also a consideration.

Another reason I jumped on the WSM is this web site. There is so much good information here, it made getting up and running a snap.

I had a ceramic smoker and I put out some great Q but I have to say I like the WSM the best. My ceramic cracked on me, I could have gotten a new one from the warranty but I would have to pay the shipping which will cost 300$. So now I have a very expensive flower pot and a smoker that I wished I got in the first place.

I have both. If I had to have just one the BGE would win (now). If I hadn't got the WSM I'd never have got the BGE. I don't want to give up my WSM.
The WSM is simple to use, clean, move about and has great temp control and this site provides excellent support and inspiration.
If I'm going to smoke something my first choice is still my WSM - this may mean I'm just not that confident with my egg yet but I think it's because the WSM is just so easy and forgiving.
The WSM is far cheaper.
Get the WSM. If after a few years you feel you want an egg the WSM will have been an excellent training ground and I'll bet you won't want to give it up unless it's to spread the word.
Just one more thing - because the WSM uses more fuel there's more airflow through the cooker and I think this makes smoke application easier.
Just my opinion though.

I think we had this conversation not too long ago, but since i am here, I may as well throw in my $.22 worth
icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanks to Craig's List I have two Large Eggs and a Small. I also have to WSMs (One bought new and one from eBay). I figured out that my average cost for my Large Eggs is $250 and the average cost for my WSMs is $130, so while the Egg is still more expensive, by being patient you can reduce the cost difference tremendously.

However, even if I bought the Eggs new I would still vote for the Egg. The versatility and the stability are what sold me. As already mentioned, I can grill at "normal temps", I can grill at lava temps, I can cook low and slow and I can bake. Once the Egg is up to temp, it just doesn't move temp regardless of rain, snow, wind or outside temperature, so considering that I can have problems with all of those in the same day around here, that part alone is a big advantage. A friend from another forum said it best...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I can tell you this about big green eggs...
they cost more than they should, but they're worth more than they cost! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not giving up my WSMs (sorry, Harbormaster
icon_biggrin.gif
) but my day to day cooker right now is the Egg.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom Chips:
The Egg's are great. Very versatile. And they do save on fuel. So that does offset the costs eventually.

I am going to an eggfest here in San Jose, CA next weekend. 25 large BGE's and about 300 attendees. It should be fun. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom,
That sounds like something I may want to drive down for. It's only an hour and a half drive from Sacramento and it sure sounds like a lot of fun. Is it open to the general public? Do you have any info on it-Maybe a website link?
Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vic C:
I had a ceramic smoker and I put out some great Q but I have to say I like the WSM the best. My ceramic cracked on me, I could have gotten a new one from the warranty but I would have to pay the shipping which will cost 300$. So now I have a very expensive flower pot and a smoker that I wished I got in the first place. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you saying your Grill Dome cracked? Or some other brand? Very interested, because I am considering a Grill Dome to go with my WSM.

Lou S, It was my Grill Dome. I have been very careful with it and closing it properly but it still cracked. The Domes have thicker ceramic than the eggs and they have much better gaskets. I think the problem was that they started selling a metal grate. I bought one because it allowed more air to get in for hotter cooks. I think that the grate got much hotter that what the dome can handle. The bottom has a star shaped crack that has started to run up the side. I help this helps you in your decision.

Steve sorry for the late reply. Yeah, the Eggfest was open to the public. It was cheaper if you registered earlier. But for $25, you ate all you could, for hours on end, and of course free beer, soda, bottled water, etc.. I went and had a great time. I picked up some really great recipe ideas as well.

There was two classes, one on the basic design and use of an Egg, and one on ribs. The food that was turned out on the Eggs were just amazing. The moisture level and tenderness was bar none. I will definitely be buying one soon. I just keep watching craigslist.

The Eggfest really paid for itself, especially if you went to the meet and greet the night before ( which I missed). It was held in the lobby of a beautiful hotel, with a large patio. They had free beer and wine. Good stuff too, like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale on tap. And the nice touch was the prime rib. My dad and mom went, and they thought it was better than any prime rib they have ever had. And of course they both figured they had their moneys worth back already. There were a few other meats made on an Egg there, but I cant remember what they were.

In my opinion its hard to compare an Egg to a WSM, simply because I believe you get what you pay for. I love my WSM, and would still use it if I had an Egg. Its not inferior in my mind, cause it cost literally 1/4 to buy. But the Egg is more flexible, probably easier to use and not as affected by winds and such.

And besides, this is the best BBQ forum!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vic C:
Lou S, It was my Grill Dome. I have been very careful with it and closing it properly but it still cracked. The Domes have thicker ceramic than the eggs and they have much better gaskets. I think the problem was that they started selling a metal grate. I bought one because it allowed more air to get in for hotter cooks. I think that the grate got much hotter that what the dome can handle. The bottom has a star shaped crack that has started to run up the side. I help this helps you in your decision. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom Chips:
Steve sorry for the late reply. Yeah, the Eggfest was open to the public. It was cheaper if you registered earlier. But for $25, you ate all you could, for hours on end, and of course free beer, soda, bottled water, etc.. I went and had a great time. I picked up some really great recipe ideas as well.

There was two classes, one on the basic design and use of an Egg, and one on ribs. The food that was turned out on the Eggs were just amazing. The moisture level and tenderness was bar none. I will definitely be buying one soon. I just keep watching craigslist.

The Eggfest really paid for itself, especially if you went to the meet and greet the night before ( which I missed). It was held in the lobby of a beautiful hotel, with a large patio. They had free beer and wine. Good stuff too, like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale on tap. And the nice touch was the prime rib. My dad and mom went, and they thought it was better than any prime rib they have ever had. And of course they both figured they had their moneys worth back already. There were a few other meats made on an Egg there, but I cant remember what they were.

In my opinion its hard to compare an Egg to a WSM, simply because I believe you get what you pay for. I love my WSM, and would still use it if I had an Egg. Its not inferior in my mind, cause it cost literally 1/4 to buy. But the Egg is more flexible, probably easier to use and not as affected by winds and such.

And besides, this is the best BBQ forum! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom, Glad you had a great time-I ended up being on call this weekend so I would not have been able to go anyway. Maybe next time.

Vic C; you can fix your cracked Grill Dome with
Grant's Furnace Cement. It will not be pretty,
but it will be functional.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob H.:
Vic C; you can fix your cracked Grill Dome with
Grant's Furnace Cement. It will not be pretty,
but it will be functional. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Vic - I tried furnace cement on mine and it didn't work. J-B Weld worked for me.

Jim

p.s. I'm waiting for Chris to move this thread to the BGE forum.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by doug gillis:
I originally wanted a BGE but the price scared me off. I uderstand that the komado style cookers are great- perhaps the best from my readings. I'm just wondering how the wsm stacks up or compares to them? Maybe it's a preference thing here! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doug,

In my experience the WSM is a better smoker simply because the capacity of the BGE is absolutely pitiful. Performance-wise they are equal.

The BGE is an excellent combination grill, smoker and wood-fired oven. But the Egg Cult scares me.
icon_eek.gif

I am happy to own both.

Jim

You know, you bring up a great point there. The large that tops out over 250 lbs, empty, only has a 24" cooking surface. Sure you can add a short additional level, but the capacity is less than the WSM. I think owning both is a nice combo.

To be honest, I liked my dome but I don't miss it. I make better Q with the WSM and a Smokey Joe. With my dome being cracked I felt that it was going to become a fire hazard. I don't have to worry about that with the WSM. Besides if the guy at the Grill Dome truly stood behind his product he would have paid for the shipping.

Back